News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 9th 40kOnline UK Tournament in partnership with Bracknell Forest Gamers  (Read 45879 times)

Offline Angel of Inquisition

• There is no such thing as too much firepower!
Re: 9th 40kOnline UK Tournament in partnership with Bracknell Forest Gamers
« Reply #520 on: August 22, 2010, 04:07:09 AM »
Many, many thanks to Google5 for organising a teriffic day - best fun for ages.

Special thanks to my 4 opponents, Joel. Ash , Mike & Mike for some of the closest matches I have played - can't wait for next year!

Ian
Tanks are The Imperial Guards way of saying Hi!

Offline Killing Time

• Infinity Circuit | I put out on the first date | Tarrin's Sullied Cunning Stunt Double
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Brevior saltare cum deformibus mulieribus est vita
« Reply #521 on: August 22, 2010, 04:26:02 AM »
Yep. Thanks to g00gle5 for organising a great day.
Thanks to Tarrin for letting me keep an objective.
Thanks to Ant, Mike and Adam for three close and exciting matches.

For the record, I was 1/1/2 for the day, which with the help of a few bonus achievements and a fully painted army gave me a respectable mid-table finish (Though possibly not enough to save me from Rummy's title hammer).

also...
Got to have a great curry and chat with Hymirl, Tarrin, Andromidius, Chuckles and Changeyname.
And we were all agreed that Bracknell town centre on a Saturday night is like a scene from 28 days later.

Dizzy

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #522 on: August 22, 2010, 07:52:43 AM »
Thanks to Tarrin for letting me keep an objective.

He's generous like that  ;).  It's a shame your Eldar couldn't win that 'grudge match', but the fact that you won a game means that the Eldar Lazerous Penguins are upheld, so congratulations  :).

Got to have a great curry and chat with Hymirl, Tarrin, Andromidius, Chuckles and Changeyname.

Not forgetting speaking to me on the phone for all of two minutes to tell me about the, how shall I put it, 'close' first battle ;).
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Lorizael

• GW Shill: Infinity Circuit: Synergistic Spotter of Numpties
  • Ancient
« Reply #523 on: August 22, 2010, 09:26:17 AM »
So who actually one the tournament? Can we get  alist of places please? :D

Offline 666_Mutley_666

• Mass debating - a filthy group habbit!
« Reply #524 on: August 22, 2010, 09:36:40 AM »
thanks Chris for an awesome day, and for making me laugh harder than i have for ages, yet again the dice gods cursed you viciously. also thanks to my other opponents for some great games
oink is a nancy!

Offline g00gle5

• Organisers Never Prosper
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • I would.
    • Promethean Games
  • Armies: Grey Knights, Necrons, Dark Eldar
« Reply #525 on: August 22, 2010, 09:48:25 AM »
Hey all,

Thank you all for coming to the tournament yesterday, it was an absolute blast. What I'm going to do later this evening is write up how my four games went, and post the running totals (I took screenshots throughout the day of the spreadsheet, so you can watch how you rose and fell throughout the day) and all the lengths I went to trying to organise this thing and if anybody wants to take the ideas, replicate or expand on them and do them for their own events.

So, all the attendees, if you want to keep the rest of the forum in agony for the next few hours, don't tell them any places, and they can read the report in the Campaigns and Battle Reports section later on.

Then what I would love for everyone who attended is do just maybe a few paragraphs (or more) for every game they played, showing us the highlights and downfalls of their day, the plights and struggles, where they could have improved, where they hit the nail on the head, thoughts and tribulations and, of course, how much bloody fun they had.

I would do it now, but I have to spend time with my girlfriend today as I had manly gaming day yesterday.

As a side note, a big thanks to everybody that helped me with running the day and packing up, as it would make life a lot more difficult without you. My 8 hours of gaming throughout the day is my relaxing time, the 15/20 minute breaks inbetween I have to work like crazy; I have to eat my lunch during the third game as I don't have time in the 45 minutes.

Especially a big thanks to Popsical, as he devoted at least an extra hour helping me pack everything away, and then after I encouraged him to get home at a reasonable time I realised how much tea and coffee you guys drank throughout the day and all the washing up that needed to be done...

Dizz, that 28 Days Later comment is so beslubbering funny to a native Brackneller that I'm literally going to repeat it to all my friends.

I'll post here once I have the write up done in the Campaigns and Battle Reports section. Keep the forum in agony, please. :)

« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 09:50:50 AM by g00gle5 »

Battle Reports | Wargaming Articles | Shop

Offline GlauG

• Decepticon Ninja Consultant
    • My CMoN Gallery!
« Reply #526 on: August 22, 2010, 12:03:40 PM »
I just wanted to say a big thankyou to the organisers and everyone I played,  Mike, Adam, Ben and Ian, in that order, I believe!  Though Ian, it turns out Mephiston didn't actually die in the last shot of the game on account of his 2+ armour save ;) (and my forgetting like a muppet that regular Battlecannons are only AP3!).  I think the Ginsters pie I had for lunch was dodgy though, I had a terrible night after getting home and had to go home early from work this afternoon, argh!  I'll dig out my photos and post my usual long-winded battle report when I feel a bit better.   

Also, this sets an unsettling pattern for me; win my first two, leading on points, and then get smacked down by the guy who goes on to win. ;) 
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 12:07:46 PM by GlauG »

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #527 on: August 22, 2010, 02:58:44 PM »
(Though possibly not enough to save me from Rummy's title hammer).

Think of it as a learning experience. Sometimes you just have to be cruel to be kind and once we see the reports the time to be cruel will be a very good one indeed.  :)
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline g00gle5

• Organisers Never Prosper
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • I would.
    • Promethean Games
  • Armies: Grey Knights, Necrons, Dark Eldar
« Reply #528 on: August 22, 2010, 04:54:06 PM »
http://www.40konline.com/index.php?topic=204486.0

GO NOW. READ. LAUGH. COMMISERATE. ADD OWN ADVENTURES OF MAYHAM.

And everybody else that wasn't there, comment, comment, comment and tell us how jealous you are and how glad you are we had that much fun.

Battle Reports | Wargaming Articles | Shop

Offline Chuckles, The Space Marine Clown

• Can't Touch This; Captain; Swarmlord - Tyranid Sweatshop Operator; 40KO's Official WMD; "No American orphans, please"
  • Ancient
  • I kill, maim and torture because I care
« Reply #529 on: August 23, 2010, 05:40:49 AM »
A quick note for the next one: the rules pack mentions that nothing with mass or structure points may be taken. However, mass points don't exist any more, and there's nothing in the rules pack that prevents players from bringing Gargantuan Creatures like Heirodules and so on. Clearly this will need rectifying (unless it was intentional, which I doubt)
The forum rules are fair and just. *twitch*

Offline Andro Ist Keine Schwedischen

• Da Biggest; His Fluffiness; Warboss
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #530 on: August 23, 2010, 08:57:09 AM »
Thanks for the event.

I'm happy with my 19th place!
aka. Boris the Bear

Offline Shas'Oink

• Sky Ray Pimp Daddy | Infinity Circuit | Ban me, I dare you! | The Fallen didn't fall, they were pushed. | Winner of the 2008 40K Online Longest Title Competition, awarded again with oak leaves, five years and running | Now with O:nkling! | Axe
  • Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
    • oinks overambitious terrain project(s)
« Reply #531 on: August 23, 2010, 09:01:19 AM »
Sounds like you guys had a blast! (please excuse the poshness of that sentence)

Well done Chris and Ant for the hard work, as well as all the other helpers on the day! And also a well done for all the participants, after all, an event isn't an event without you! I look forwards to the next one!

Offline Guildmage Aech

• FLAMER: Ego Bigger than his Common Sense Centre | 40KO's Care Bear of Spite | Dolphin Death Dealer | 40K Oracle
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #532 on: August 24, 2010, 12:28:58 PM »
Mostly away from the internet at the mo, but I'll put up my pics and a bit of chat about my games soon! (probs after the weekend at some point!)
Rules Expert 2007 | Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit 2008 | Most Notoriously Valuable Rules Expert 2009 | Most Notorious 2014

Offline Hawaiian Zombie

• What's worse then zombies? Zombies on fire!
  • Armies: Necrons, Tau, Crimson Fists
« Reply #533 on: August 24, 2010, 04:09:34 PM »
Still upset i missed it =/

Glad you guys all had a laugh, really like the achievements idea!
I'm going to tell you what I tell every Dark Angels player. Keep your awesome models and your great background, accept that GW secretly hates you and just play with the rules from the new dex

Offline premetheus

• I don't do grammer!
  • Armies: Everything, well not Orks
« Reply #534 on: August 24, 2010, 06:46:33 PM »
The day was great as I actually got to play, albeit with some dirty chaos space marines I mean Dark Angel deathwing.... so that was a learning curve and i actually like the list. Nice to meet many of you guys and hope we can arrange another event a lot sooner than next August.

On another note shamless plug coming up.....

BFG next event is in october and is called escalation so its 4 games 1 day and goes from 500pts to 1000pts to 1500pts to 2000pts so check out website and hopefully a few of you will make it up down whatever.

Offline Teg

« Reply #535 on: September 14, 2010, 05:00:48 PM »
Teg, our very own stats guru, will do something magical with the results in the near future...

Yeah, I would probably have gotten round to this earlier if the Chaos Gods didn't somehow disable my subscription to this thread to spite me for not using my CSMs, thus causing me not to notice the results had been posted for three weeks...

Anyway, STATISTICS!!! (they're like lies, but UP TO ELEVEN!!!)

Some actual numbers are:
24 players

15 was the (sickening) top score
10 the upper quartile
the median
the lower quartile
2 was the (laughable) lowest score

8.23 was the mean score
3.17 was the standard deviation

Thanks to every I played against, whether I gained death or glory!  I think the last two games were some of the most fun games I've had for a long time.

FYI, my Space Marines W/D/L is now at 5/4/11...