News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: ...Their Number is Death - Necron Warriors  (Read 3279 times)

Offline Mr. Mellow Mortil the Mellifluous

• jippee! = peril
...Their Number is Death - Necron Warriors
« on: June 25, 2006, 12:52:43 PM »
The artwork got me thinking.

Necrons are always depicted as endless hordes of silent, glittering warriors. Still, most army's seem to be composed mostly out of destroyers and monoliths nowdays. Something seemed odd. And so my thoughts eventually ended up thinking about a necron army themed around warriors, warriors, warriors, and nothing but warriors

Well, almost nothing but warriors. But the main focus of the army would be ordinary warriors.

Powers
Now, I'm not a cron player, but I figured that ordinary necron warriors are capable of taking down almost anything, even land raiders. Given enough warriors, anything will fall. Furthermore, taking a lot of them will ensure that anything that gets near will get a huge amount of gauss heading its way.
To add, ordinary necrons seem to be some of the toughest things around. Not only do they get a 3+ save, but the entire army also has a pseudo 4+ invulnerable save. Especially if you take a lot of them, which ensures being in WBB-range
Still, I guess a lord with a resurrection orb will bee needed. But how about taking only warriors beyond that? For a 1500 point-army, that would make 75 warriors!. Phase out would require the opponent to take out 57 warriors!

Weaknesses
This army would have its obvious weaknesses. HtH would be one. But taking small squads could probably counter this. just sacrifice the squad and make sure the antagonist are met with a healthy dose of firepower afterwars. This shouldn't be done too often.
But then again, that might not be necessary. With 75 warriors all carrying 24" range weapons, there should be little place left to hide.

How would this army work? Actually, it's really quite simple. Just walk towards the enemy, and shoot. Make it a battle of attrition. You're most likely to be the last one standing.

So, would this work? Has anyone ever tried this? Is there something I've missed that would make the theme work better? Your comments are welcome.

Mortil
« Last Edit: June 25, 2006, 12:55:35 PM by (Defrosted) Mortil »
the Power
the Hero
the Ecstacy

Offline Selfar

• Immortal Destruction!
Re: ...Their Number is Death - Necron Warriors
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2006, 01:24:54 PM »
All I can say is the artwork is right with the storyline. And the fact that, yes, you do need lots, or well a good ammount, of Warriors in any Necron Army! PO is extremely important weakness to the Necrons, and the best way to fight PO is a good ammount of Warriors!

You could make an army with 100 Warriors and a Lord with decent gear for 2000pts, would it be good, I don't know, bnu the PO would be your opponent killing 75 Warriors!
"The battle has been won, but war has just begun
And as we grow, emotion starts to die"
Senses Fail, Rum is for Drinking not for Burning
A Perfect Necron Description....

Offline Jet

• Major
  • CuZ Ima BadBoy
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2006, 08:28:15 PM »
All warriors=no

All warriors+monoliths=yes

In 1500points this would work

Monolith
Monolith

49 warriors

Lord-orb

This way they can avoid/stay out of combat and also have great mobility.  Move up a monolith and then teleport out and rapid fire anything that gets in your way.
"True Kings never die"

Offline Kritik

• Banned troll: My arrogance couldn't be matched!
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2006, 11:38:04 PM »
Well, what about those mobile 36" ranged weapons? Can't they just sit back and watch you take the damage turn after turn after turn?
I used to think that I knew everything,
but now I'm just banned.

Offline Selfar

• Immortal Destruction!
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2006, 01:12:56 AM »
because first of all Necron Warriors rnaged isn't 36" and your not supposed to say exact data if Im not mistaken

anyway, Gauss Flayers are a basic Rapid Fire Weapon, same as a Bolter

so yeah the all Warriors might not work, but even so, you can still be mean with that crazy ass PO!

and plus i was being literal, just saying they dont take up as much points as people think, so yeah you can have a lot either way
« Last Edit: June 26, 2006, 01:14:00 AM by Selfar »

Offline ZombieKiller

• I've felt guilty once. But she woke up half way.
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2006, 01:26:19 AM »
I think chillin was talking about the opponents weapons that are say 36 inches. You are taking a minimum of 2 rounds of shooting before you are in range of him, and if that weapon is assault then forget about it.

Though I personally love all warriors (not that I've tried it or anything) it just seems that it is missing something, close but no cigar.

Offline Halfpast_Yellow

• ##Don't run! We are your friends!##
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2006, 03:28:24 AM »
All warriors=no

All warriors+monoliths=yes

In 1500points this would work

Monolith
Monolith

49 warriors

Lord-orb

This way they can avoid/stay out of combat and also have great mobility.  Move up a monolith and then teleport out and rapid fire anything that gets in your way.

Seconding this post. If you're going to go with lots of Warriors at 1500 points, a monolith or two is a excellent investment. Of course then you couldn't say your army was all warriors, but it's still dead (forgive the pun  ;) ) fluffy, see your picture for example. Monoliths are after all the #2 Necron signature unit after warriors, check your codex pics and story exerpts. The extra mobility/get out of CC/firepower/WBB rolls 2 monoliths provide pretty much balances out the 25 or so Necron warriors you forsake to have them.

PO isn't just some isolated variable where a higher number is definatively better. Sure, killing 57 Necrons to phase out is a large number compared to 37 in Jets list. But, 2 Monoliths provide strong defensive and offensive qualities to the point where, played smartly, the army with monoliths could prove harder to beat and phase out than the all warriors army.

• jippee! = peril
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2006, 09:02:03 AM »
I re-read the rules of the monolith and found out I had mistaken the rules. I thought a lord was needed to teleport a unit, but this was nothe case. Having said that, I think a monolith can't be missed in this kind of army. Still, I'm not too fond of applying two. Two seem to be a bit too expensive for abilities that seem to overlap for a significant part.

About the 36" weapons:these can be defficult. Still, you've got the numers, so it should be possible to push him in a corner eventually. Or ignore the threat and focus on the main part of the army.

Mortil 
the Power
the Hero
the Ecstacy

Offline Selfar

• Immortal Destruction!
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2006, 09:57:00 AM »
my bad, that is true though

would deffinately be shot down pretty fasy, and there's no way you could drop a Lord in Res. Orb Range of all those Warriors >.< So, yeah...

Offline Kritik

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2006, 11:22:57 AM »
3 Ravager, 9 plasma cannon equivelant Weapons on a vehicle. I just sit back and lick my chops with that.

Dreadnaughts, Lascannon, Basilisk, all those things (termies, move and shoot heavies!). Just sit back while the Necrons moan and groan at chya. When it comes too close, then you have to get your hands dirty, but not after lots of pounding and lots of loss on your part.

Edit-->Not sure exactly how touchy Gamesworkshop is about this anymore, but definitely avoid posting weapon statlines in the future.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2006, 11:58:47 AM by Foxfire »
but now I'm just banned.

Offline Jet

• Major
  • CuZ Ima BadBoy
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2006, 02:48:56 PM »
3 Ravager, 9 plasma cannon equivelant Weapons on a vehicle. I just sit back and lick my chops with that.

Dreadnaughts, Lascannon, Basilisk, all those things (termies, move and shoot heavies!). Just sit back while the Necrons moan and groan at chya. When it comes too close, then you have to get your hands dirty, but not after lots of pounding and lots of loss on your part.

Do you ever have anything productive to say?  All you ever do is criticize. 

The monoliths can:
1. Soak up firepower
2. Double wwb
3. Allow you to rapid fire tons of shots
4. Luanch an ordinace for the MEQ's
5. Increase mobility

I feel that if you want to try the list.  Go right ahead.  It can be quite tricky, but most Necron armies are. 
"True Kings never die"

Offline Kritik

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2006, 03:07:45 PM »

Do you ever have anything productive to say?  All you ever do is criticize. 

The monoliths can:
1. Soak up firepower
2. Double wwb
3. Allow you to rapid fire tons of shots
4. Luanch an ordinace for the MEQ's
5. Increase mobility

I feel that if you want to try the list.  Go right ahead.  It can be quite tricky, but most Necron armies are. 

All I am saying is that a good Shooting Army will get you killed. You have limited Range and limited Mobility. A suicidal combination.
but now I'm just banned.

• jippee! = peril
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2006, 05:38:29 PM »
All I am saying is that a good Shooting Army will get you killed. You have limited Range and limited Mobility. A suicidal combination.

Are you sure? I figured this would be where the numbers and the resilience come in. The numbers will enable you to minimise or or even negate any hiding spots (including 'hiding' in range'), while your toughness enables you to keep formation. Still, I can't say I ever tried this before, nor have I ever played with necrons (or even against them for that matter, we're a bit low on gamers around here). So, might that make it a bit more manageable?

Mortil
the Power
the Hero
the Ecstacy

Offline Kritik

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2006, 05:54:22 PM »
If it was like a hold your ground kind of mission, then sure, there's a chance. But if it is like annihlation, all the opponent has to do is stay away from you for 6 turns. They don't get damaged while they wear you away. Very few army, if any, has a shooting range capability worse than the combination you said. I mean it is resilient and scary, but proper manuvering from the opponent will bite you in the end.
but now I'm just banned.

Offline Chuckles, The Space Marine Clown

• Can't Touch This; Captain; Swarmlord - Tyranid Sweatshop Operator; 40KO's Official WMD; "No American orphans, please"
  • Ancient
  • I kill, maim and torture because I care
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2006, 06:01:43 PM »
In which case lobbing in the Deceiver would work wonders against relatively low Ld armies methinks. If they sit next to the board edge, they can run off it nice and quickly.
The forum rules are fair and just. *twitch*

• jippee! = peril
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2006, 06:54:05 PM »
I did some simple thinking. If, given a standard board, you occupy the center of the table, you can shoot the entire width of the board ('lith not counted). This leaves you with 1' on either side, which can be in reach within another 2 turns of movement. Though it might be possible to still hide in a corner, you are trapped afterwards. It seems no army should be capable of avoiding this, unless they can leave the board and re-enter somehow. Then, of course, there is still terrain. But it should be possible, given 54 models and a tank, to swamp this terrain. So is there something I'm missing?

Mortil
the Power
the Hero
the Ecstacy

Offline Foxfire

• Necron Lord of 40KO | KoN Veteran
  • Ancient
  • The picture is a werewolf
  • Armies: Necrons and Orks
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2006, 08:13:59 PM »
Well, first off it takes time to move the Monolith and all the Warriors up to the center point of the board, unless you plan to deepstrike.  Also, most boards I play on are 4x6, meaning that there should be a decent amount of area for more mobile armies to escape to even if the Necrons take the center of the board.  I generally advise against such lists for the reasons that Hao Li(just chillin') has pointed out: armies that have range on you have an easier time of everything since they can afford to just take pot shots at you as you march forward.  Also, Monoliths are not invincible, and losing those early on to excessive lascannons, a few railguns, or even warp blasts, can be devastating and often fatal to a list like this one.

Offline Kritik

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2006, 01:05:41 AM »
In which case lobbing in the Deceiver would work wonders against relatively low Ld armies methinks. If they sit next to the board edge, they can run off it nice and quickly.

If you read the thing, the suggested list has only troops, lords and Monoliths.

I did some simple thinking. If, given a standard board, you occupy the center of the table, you can shoot the entire width of the board ('lith not counted). This leaves you with 1' on either side, which can be in reach within another 2 turns of movement. Though it might be possible to still hide in a corner, you are trapped afterwards. It seems no army should be capable of avoiding this, unless they can leave the board and re-enter somehow. Then, of course, there is still terrain. But it should be possible, given 54 models and a tank, to swamp this terrain. So is there something I'm missing?

Mortil

True, but understand that in those 2 turns, some armies can get an advantage over you in strength with the Shooting combination. By the time turn 3 comes around, it won't be a 2000 vs 2000 pt game, it would be a 2000 vs 1800 point game. I mean you can still win, but I smell trouble.

Well, first off it takes time to move the Monolith and all the Warriors up to the center point of the board, unless you plan to deepstrike.  Also, most boards I play on are 4x6, meaning that there should be a decent amount of area for more mobile armies to escape to even if the Necrons take the center of the board.  I generally advise against such lists for the reasons that Hao Li(just chillin') has pointed out: armies that have range on you have an easier time of everything since they can afford to just take pot shots at you as you march forward.  Also, Monoliths are not invincible, and losing those early on to excessive lascannons, a few railguns, or even warp blasts, can be devastating and often fatal to a list like this one.

Wow, we actually agree on something. Cheers! :)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2006, 01:06:54 AM by Just Chillin' »
but now I'm just banned.

Offline Chuckles, The Space Marine Clown

• Can't Touch This; Captain; Swarmlord - Tyranid Sweatshop Operator; 40KO's Official WMD; "No American orphans, please"
  • Ancient
  • I kill, maim and torture because I care
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2006, 02:04:13 AM »

I realise that, but people were saying that such a list would have serious weaknesses against enemies capable of sitting back and opening fire, and I was suggesting a solution to that.
The forum rules are fair and just. *twitch*

Offline Kritik

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2006, 02:18:30 PM »
Quote from: Just Chillin' on Today at 01:05:41 AM
Quote from: Chuckles on Yesterday at 06:01:43 PM

I realise that, but people were saying that such a list would have serious weaknesses against enemies capable of sitting back and opening fire, and I was suggesting a solution to that.

Yes, there actually is a reason for having destroyers. Their Long Range Capabilities and Mobility is crucial and necessary for a successful Necron Army, IMO. But that's not the topic of discussion.

Again, everything I say is speculation, for I have never faced against an army that is purely warriors and monolith. One successful army I saw (2000 pts) had Flayed Ones, Scarabs, etc. tie the enemy up as the Huge Squad of Monolith + Warriors deep struck/moved to provide a solid base in the middle, or closer to the opponent's deployment zone.
but now I'm just banned.