News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Chronicles of the Brush: For the Greater Good  (Read 119665 times)

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
Re: Myen'Tal's Conclave: The Painting Chronicles (Leviadon & Cauldron)
« Reply #200 on: April 3, 2019, 07:15:51 AM »
Have you looked at any pics of real life turtles for inspiration Myen’Tal?  On second thought, I think most of them are green anyway.  ;D

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #201 on: April 6, 2019, 02:08:27 PM »
Thanks for the advice guys! I think I'll do that Void Turtle Shell along with the green skin. I think that'll look pretty fancy. Not sure what to do about the Howdah, but I've some ideas!

@Loosh: Patience, Master Jedi ;D. I simply do not have the room at the moment to keep painting, but I'll have some when my situation changes by the end of the month. I'm also ready to paint something!

So, question for all of the Hobby Maniacs on this forum ;D! So, I am at a crossroads... Originally, I was planning on branching into 40k with a Chaos Space Marine army. I can still do that and a part of me still wants too, but the problem is that Chaos still don't have the greatest rules and some of options in the new kits are somewhat bizarre. I mean, there's only one Chaingun in the Havoc Box, and only about one set of each melee weapon in the Terminator box.

I guess there'll always be third party bitz stores, but who knows at what point those may sell out for a good amount of time. I don't really want to be dependent on that.

And now, Slaanesh has been revealed, and I think it would contrast with my two aelven armies extremely well! I love the new models, and I've always been a Slaanesh fan too. So, I could go this route instead.

However, my last option is to jump into 40k from a different angle. Those new Vanguard Primaris look absolutely incredible... thing is, they don't have much in the way of a full range at the moment. I'm sure that'll be rectified by sometime later in the year though.

So... any suggestions about how I should go about choosing an option? :)

P.S: Seraphon also look really cool!!!
« Last Edit: April 6, 2019, 02:09:53 PM by Myen'Tal »
JohnMaloneBooks website - Blog #3 - From Novella to Novel

- 5/5 Reader's Favorite Review!

A Sanctum of Swords: Embers Edition is coming soon w/ audiobook!

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #202 on: April 6, 2019, 05:51:31 PM »
So I just got into chaos myself and believe me, the rules are solid. Last night my Necrons went up against them and whew, it was a good fight. He did a first turn deep strike with warp talons, psyched their movement and he assaulted a 14 strong warrior unit. Totalled them in cc and consolidated into my 5 praetorians, that was his downfall. Apparently since he engaged thru that and had already attacked, I got a free cc with them and took out 5. Then on my turn I finished them off but at a great lose of the 14 warriors. Abandon is really hard to kill too so, chaos is a good crossroad in my opinion for you. Besides the fact that they are fantastic models. As far as putting units together, GW has always done that to us, like the new chaos space marines box only has 2 plasma pistols but it gives you the choice for 2 champions. Give and take, buy more.

The new Slaneesh,oh boy, that's the mark I've been using on my black legion. I have daemonettes I've had for years. Now I can summon them to the battle field using reinforcement rules, different but I like it. The new models looks sweet. The keeper of secrets looks amazing.

I hope this helps.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #203 on: April 6, 2019, 07:48:10 PM »
Thanks for your honest opinion, Dread! It's truly appreciated ;D! Yeah I really love the new Chaos Space Marine models, I guess I really just need to understand what makes a good Chaos Marine list... there's so many options and I'm not sure I understand how all of them mesh together into a coherent fighting force.

I really also love the new Slaanesh! It might be something that will just have to wait for now though. I promised a friend of mine that I'd branch into 40k sooner rather than later, and though I like Daemons for Age of Sigmar, I rather play as one of the other factions in 40k.

So, I'll think on it :).

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #204 on: April 6, 2019, 09:25:17 PM »
Chaos have a lot of filth in their kit bag in 40k. So you should be able to have some fun friendly games out of the gate.

Dread, There have been changes to deep striking, last I read, turn 1 deep strike is only in your own DMZ and there was big restrictions on how they could move after arriving as well. Not sure they could pull that move off any more.

Offline Dread

• Warlock
« Reply #205 on: April 6, 2019, 10:41:49 PM »
Thanks Mag I'll check on it. It was really op but worked kinda in my favor.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #206 on: April 20, 2019, 04:17:43 PM »
Alright guys, I've purchased some more brushes, refreshed the paints that needed to be replaced, and I've got my models ready! Just waiting on my most recent order of paints to get delivered, then it's time to take up the brush again!

Also, I'm using the camera from my new Samsung phone. Let me know if I should make any adjustments. Personally, I think the images are coming out with much more pinpoint precision and higher quality.

Also, in other news: I played a game against a good friend of mine, who brought his Maggotkin to the field. I created a Battle Report for that in the Age of Sigmar forum.

And in other, other news:

« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 10:06:07 PM by Myen'Tal »

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
Re: Myen'Tal's Conclave: The Painting Chronicles (High Priestess of Khaine)
« Reply #207 on: April 26, 2019, 11:49:45 PM »
New Paint Station:

New Airbrush (Airbrush Booth on the way!):

Godsworn Hunt Experiment! Trying thinned down Army Painter grey brush on primer:

Soulrender!!!

« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 03:03:14 AM by Myen'Tal »

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: Myen'Tal's Conclave! (Grey Primer and Soulrender Edition)
« Reply #208 on: April 27, 2019, 04:28:09 PM »
Your Soulrender looks cool and I like how there is a metallic sheen to the finish. It is a shame that the harsh shadows are making it difficult to see any detail in your photo's though.
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
Re: Myen\'Tal\'s Conclave! (Grey Primer and Soulrender Edition)
« Reply #209 on: April 27, 2019, 04:48:28 PM »
Your Soulrender looks cool and I like how there is a metallic sheen to the finish. It is a shame that the harsh shadows are making it difficult to see any detail in your photo's though.

Hi Alienscar, thanks for the compliment and sorry about lighting! Thanks for letting me know about that, I'll take a few more pictures in better light and post them up in a little bit!

New Photos for Soulrender! Let me know if anymore adjustments should be made :).

Speckled Akhelian!

Grey Primer Brush on Experiment:

« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 11:05:56 PM by Myen'Tal »

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Soulrender is looking great mate.

Have you worked out a colour scheme for the snakes yet?

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
Soulrender is looking great mate.

Have you worked out a colour scheme for the snakes yet?

Thanks, Mage, I'm really happy with how he came out!

As for the Snakes, I haven't chosen a color scheme yet. There's so many potential combinations that work well with the Daughters of Khaine. It'll take me a little while to choose one :). I'm torn between doing a bright and vibrant scheme or something more brooding.

For now, though, I'll keep on trucking with the Deepkin :).

« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 10:57:22 PM by Myen'Tal »

Offline Dread

• Warlock
So jealous. Such a cool model and I just can't afford it. My b day is coming up and I'm going to try and get one of the DoK box sets or the loon curse set, not sure yet but one of them.

Anywho, I can't wait to see what your going to do with her and the rest of the army but understand it'll be a bit, water elves are cool too!
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 06:37:21 PM by Dread »

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
So jealous. Such a cool model and I just can't afford it. My b day is coming up and I'm going to try and get one of the DoK box sets or the loon curse set, not sure yet but one of them.

Anywho, I can't wait to see what your going to do with her and the rest of the army but understand it'll be a bit, water elves are cool too!

Thanks, Dread! Yeah, I don't think you can go wrong with either box set to be honest! Both are pretty amazing on their own!

I did do the grey brush on primer experiment, but I think I'm going to wait until I get airbrushing before I start on the Daughters in earnest.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
Daughters of Khaine Assembly Update:

Sorry if the photos are a bit off, I'm working in a room with not that much light in it. I've only really got my LED Lamp and some ceiling lights to work with. I've got to be careful with the LED lamp or it'll create harsh shadows. Going to have to find another solution I think to that problem.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
looking good, can't wait to see how you paint them up.

Offline Dread

• Warlock
Looking good. The sculptures are so beautiful, I stare at mine sometimes and think how good they look in plastic and almost don't want to paint them. Anyhow, will be anxiously waiting to see yours.

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
I echo Dread's sentiment in that even unpainted your assembled army looks glorious (if a bit dark  :))
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
Thanks guys, glad that you're liking them! ;D

I'll actually have an important update in a week or two. I've officially ordered an air compressor and the entire Citadel Air Range. I've also gotten a few auxiliary items from the vallejo range. I should now be officially ready to start airbrushing in a week or so.

EDIT: So, bad news, the sylvaneth stuff that I bought got refunded today. Not my choice, or the seller's fault. Looncurse shortage meant that he didn't get any. So, not certain if I'll jump into sylvaneth immediately now. Store owner is offering me 30% off, so I might get some as anyway 😋.

EDIT #2:

Managed to snatch two of the last three in a gaming store about half an hour away! Disaster averted!

« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 01:44:42 AM by Myen'Tal »

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: Myen'Tal's Conclave! (Life...Is...Rising!!!)
« Reply #219 on: May 12, 2019, 06:04:03 AM »
man the AoS model look awesome :)

The new trees look great too, I want to see how easy it is to move models through them as the old wood are kinda terrible.