News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: New Codex rules queries thread.  (Read 24924 times)

Offline Ashman

• Fear of Bovines. | Cool title here until Devern thinks of something better
  • Lazerous Penguin
Re: New Codex rules queries thread.
« Reply #20 on: November 5, 2006, 05:43:17 AM »
16. (I think) It says a farseer allows a unit of 3-10 warlocks, and in the guardian entry (and wraithguard) that they can have a warlock character in the squad. Do the warlocks from guardian, wraithguad and support weapon squads count for the 3-10? So if you have for example 2 guardians squads and a wraithguard squads with warlocks, does that mean the most you can have in a unit is 7? Or are those warlocks independant from that?

As it doesn't say that they are taken from the Warlock squad, and there is no mention of such deductions in the Warlock entry then I would say that you can take these characters in squads and still have a 10 man Warlock squad if you so wish.

CM

Offline murgel

• Armies: CWE, Harlequins, SW, DA, BA, Vanilla SM
« Reply #21 on: November 5, 2006, 11:01:22 AM »
12. does the veil of tears count for assault ??

Um... wha? As in, "you have to roll vs. the VoT for the ability to see this squad in order to assault them"? I don't believe the VoT mentions assault. I can see where it would be useful against units with a 12" charge (gaunts anyone?) but I don't think it applies.

Well I feel it applies. You can not attack what you do not see, and this is a roll about wether or not you can see(detect) the target.
sure you have an opinion,
but my swordplay is better than your´s

Take my advice, I never use it.

Offline Ashman

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #22 on: November 5, 2006, 11:21:47 AM »
17. Under the Scorpion's entry, it states that Chainsabres (for the Exarch) provide a +1 to Attack. Is this in addition to being armed with two CC weapons (if he even is...)? So on the charge would he recieve the two standard attacks, +1 for charge, +1 for Mandiblasters, +1 for two CC weapons and +1 for Chainsabre, totalling 6(!) attacks? Or would it only be 5.

CM

Offline Dinendal

• Infinity Circuit
  • LARPing FTW
« Reply #23 on: November 5, 2006, 11:27:36 AM »
Prince Yriel's once-a-game ability (the S6 AP3 template over himself) - does this apply as a shooting-style attack, even if he is in close combat?  I am wondering because my most common opponent plays Dark Eldar, and it would be an incredible deterrent for him to charge Yriel with wytches of they do not get the 4+ invulns from the template.

IMO it is "considered" a shooting attack... only because in the entry the power have an AP... and there is no AP in close combat...

Dinendal
« Last Edit: November 5, 2006, 11:29:48 AM by Dinendal »
"The argument goes something like this: `I refuse to prove that I exist,' says God, `for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing.'

"`But,' says Man, `The Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't. QED.'

"`Oh dear,' says God, `I hadn't thought of that,' and promptly vanished in a puff of logic.

Offline magikot of alaitoc

• Infinity Circuit
  • The lovable li'l pagan
« Reply #24 on: November 5, 2006, 12:11:31 PM »
17. Under the Scorpion's entry, it states that Chainsabres (for the Exarch) provide a +1 to Attack. Is this in addition to being armed with two CC weapons (if he even is...)? So on the charge would he recieve the two standard attacks, +1 for charge, +1 for Mandiblasters, +1 for two CC weapons and +1 for Chainsabre, totalling 6(!) attacks? Or would it only be 5.

CM

Well the chain sabre entry states that the gauntlets house twin linked shuriken pistols so I would say that the exarch does get 6 attacks on the charge.
"Your reality, Sir, is nothing but lies and baulderdash! And it pleases me to announce that I have no grasp of it what-so-ever!" ~ Baron Munchausen, The Adventures of Baron Munchausen

Offline nil

• I'm a grown man who plays with dolls. Pity me.
« Reply #25 on: November 5, 2006, 12:42:19 PM »
18. Can an autarch equipped with a jetbike fleet of foot?

19. Can the +1 to reserves given by an autarch or Yriel stack for a total of +2 to reserves?

(btw, I like the nice reasonable tone in here, and the answers given so far are all very reasonable)
Please visit my Eldar Pirate conversion project at http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=212375.msg2591462;topicseen#msg2591462-- yellow elf needs feedback badly!

Offline Wraithlord Saunders

• "Thinks he's got the whole world at his feet."
« Reply #26 on: November 5, 2006, 01:05:49 PM »
Prince Yriel's once-a-game ability (the S6 AP3 template over himself) - does this apply as a shooting-style attack, even if he is in close combat?  I am wondering because my most common opponent plays Dark Eldar, and it would be an incredible deterrent for him to charge Yriel with wytches of they do not get the 4+ invulns from the template.

IMO it is "considered" a shooting attack... only because in the entry the power have an AP... and there is no AP in close combat...

Dinendal

Ah, that *does* make sense.  Thanks.
The Infinity Circuit does not keep me from my duties.  My brethren...

Offline Ashman

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #27 on: November 5, 2006, 01:25:45 PM »

19. Can the +1 to reserves given by an autarch or Yriel stack for a total of +2 to reserves?

(btw, I like the nice reasonable tone in here, and the answers given so far are all very reasonable)

No, and no.

CM

Offline GeneticDaemon

« Reply #28 on: November 5, 2006, 01:27:47 PM »
10. How do the BS 6 and BS 7 actually work in the real game?

I am surprised no one has answered that... Works exactly like BS5. It's just that you have the same chance to hit, but more talent for shooting... Imagine BS6 and 7 making cooler kills with ranged weaps i guess...

That would be a no. I don't have the codex, but jetbikes are covered in the rulebook IIRC. Hang on...

Okay, this is actually not said in the Rulebook, but NAY! by common sense. Plus, Jetbikes can Turbo-boost, which is better (Inv. save and can ALWAYS move up to 24").

EDIT :  Ashman beat me to it... Anyways, i have an explanation :)

Offline magikot of alaitoc

• Infinity Circuit
  • The lovable li'l pagan
« Reply #29 on: November 5, 2006, 03:03:09 PM »

I would say no. Though it doesn't say that they don't stack, the previous sentence says "any eldar army including one or more autarchs.." then goes on to talk about the strategy rating and the reserves roll bonus.

If you have both then should one die you'll still be able to have the +1 reserves since there will still be an autarch on the table. You'd loose the bonus once they both die.

Also +2 would be far too abusive. a 2+ roll on turn 2? Would be far too much of an edge for eldar in escalation.
"Your reality, Sir, is nothing but lies and baulderdash! And it pleases me to announce that I have no grasp of it what-so-ever!" ~ Baron Munchausen, The Adventures of Baron Munchausen

Offline Ashman

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #30 on: November 5, 2006, 05:05:30 PM »
10. How do the BS 6 and BS 7 actually work in the real game?

I am surprised no one has answered that... Works exactly like BS5. It's just that you have the same chance to hit, but more talent for shooting... Imagine BS6 and 7 making cooler kills with ranged weaps i guess...

I assumed it was a piss take. Apologies Cerbiarus if you were being sincere. :P

CM

Offline Arstahd

« Reply #31 on: November 5, 2006, 05:50:53 PM »

That would be a no. I don't have the codex, but jetbikes are covered in the rulebook IIRC. Hang on...

Okay, this is actually not said in the Rulebook, but NAY! by common sense. Plus, Jetbikes can Turbo-boost, which is better (Inv. save and can ALWAYS move up to 24").

EDIT :  Ashman beat me to it... Anyways, i have an explanation :)

There is a thread for this topic so I won't go into detail, but according to the new codex there is no rule that removes fleet when a jetbike is taken.  The argument saying that it can't be done is based on "common sense" and fluff, not rules.

Also, turboboost does not prevent fleet, you can do both.

Offline Magus_42

• Deathwing Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #32 on: November 5, 2006, 11:28:44 PM »
On #1: The Farseer will always be an independent character, regardless of whether he has a retinue or not. Are you asking if the Farseer can leave the squad? Doesn't matter anyway, since warlocks are apparently not a retinue.

An Independent Character with a Retinue does not count as being an IC until its Retinue is annihilated...

Here's a couple more:

20) If a skimmer with vectored engines that moved >6" is immobilized by enemy shooting, can it suffer a penetrating hit from subsequent shooting in the same shooting phase.

I'm pretty sure the answer to the above is Yes. The SMF rules on pg. 69 of the BGB specify a "mobile" skimmer. Once the skimmer becomes immobile, it can be penetrated.

21) If a skimmer transport with vectored engines that moved >6" is immobilezed, and it then suffers a destroyed result or penetrating hit during the same game turn, what movement distance is used when determining the emergency disembarkation effect for the transported unit.

Unfortunately, it looks like the skimmer would count as moving >6", as the rules for emergency disembarkation only specify the vehicle's last move. The fact that the vehicle landed prior to being destroyed doesn't seem to save the passengers from damage.

Offline The Orange

« Reply #33 on: November 5, 2006, 11:55:10 PM »
Well I feel it applies. You can not attack what you do not see, and this is a roll about wether or not you can see(detect) the target.
Where does it say you can't assault what you can't see?  Besides, the worst you can roll is a 4 for spotting, and most unit's only assault 6" so it's bearly an issue. 

But it's a special attack, made by a spedial character, done in assault.  And where does it say that hth attacks will never have an AP?  Just because we haven't seen it before dosen't mean it can't happen. 

No you can't, as I pointed out in that other thread, the BGB FAQ (under Special Rules) clearly shows that you must be able to shoot to use fleet, which is not possible when you Turbo boost. 

Offline Arstahd

« Reply #34 on: November 6, 2006, 12:07:49 AM »
No you can't, as I pointed out in that other thread, the BGB FAQ (under Special Rules) clearly shows that you must be able to shoot to use fleet, which is not possible when you Turbo boost. 

Oops, forgot agout that.  :-[

Offline Xodiac

• Infinity Circuit
  • For there is nothing new under the sun
« Reply #35 on: November 6, 2006, 04:45:31 AM »
18. The advantage of fleet over turbo-boosting is you can declare an assault after fleet, so it's increasing your charge range. I'm against it on principle but it seems to actually be 'legal'.

There's nothing in either the Shadowseer entry or the BGB Assualt section that indicates to me a need to check if you can see them before assaulting.

21. You could argue the vehicles last move was to land, therefore 0". It's a stretch I know, but to me it's under the same 'common sense' umbrella of the Autarch on bike fleeting. If it can be shot counting as immobile then it's moved nowhere, so the troops unloading are unloading out of something that didn't move either.
What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun.                      -Ecclesiastes 1:9

Offline murgel

• Armies: CWE, Harlequins, SW, DA, BA, Vanilla SM
« Reply #36 on: November 6, 2006, 05:42:03 AM »
Where does it say you can't assault what you can't see?  Besides, the worst you can roll is a 4 for spotting, and most unit's only assault 6" so it's bearly an issue. 

Well, there is no rule stating you can not attack what you do not see. However it says detect and that means if it is out of range you canst see, smell, hear etc it neither organically nor electronically. so you are simply not aware that there is something to attack. This resulting you in being unable to decide to make an attack on this unit. I am sorry, I can't find a rule but rest asured that there will be someone out there ignoring the deadly stare of basic logic and trying to make this obviously impossible attack.......

;)

murgel
sure you have an opinion,
but my swordplay is better than your´s

Take my advice, I never use it.

Offline Doomhammer

• I live once more!
    • My profile on a really cool site.
« Reply #37 on: November 6, 2006, 08:34:41 AM »
22. Does an Exarch with Chainsabres count as having the Pistols? I think so, but I wonder if it counts, since it is written in the style of fluff.
FOR DOOMHAMMER!

Offline lapiaz

« Reply #38 on: November 6, 2006, 09:24:51 AM »
  clarification  needed .

if a squad of Shinning speas is assaulted  they don't get the bonus  for their lances . Right?
 if a squad  of  Ss  that assault on the previous turn  don't manage to kill and  stay in combat  do they still get the bonus  to their lances on the next turn  ?

Offline firebirdv8

• What?
« Reply #39 on: November 6, 2006, 10:58:27 AM »
23. Can an autarch be armed with a laser lance (shinging spears weapon, right?) while on foot?

24. If so, is the laser lance a one handed weapon?

FB
Well, at least I'm an orange...