News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: New Thousand Sons!  (Read 3551 times)

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
New Thousand Sons!
« on: November 20, 2016, 09:30:49 AM »
AHHHHH!

Ksons are getting new models, and they look SWEET!

Check out the number of flamers in those squads! Might we be able to kit a whole squad with the things? What about that assault cannon looking thing?

Ahriman on a disc! (though this begs the question of who else would be fast enough in a Ksons army to keep up with him. Hmmmm...)

Keeping my fingers crossed that the rules are as cool as the models.

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
Re: New Thousand Sons!
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2016, 10:03:00 AM »
There will also be Thousand Sons dice from the looks of things too.

Just to get the one negative out of the way first, I don't like those Tzaangors.  Beastmen dressed up like Thousand Sons neither look good nor impress me as a concept.

As for the rest, I'm really excited about what I'm seeing.  A lot of these new models look really impressive.  I'm so glad that I didn't spend money on making my Thousand Sons army before these were released.  No matter how much they may not be the best army out there, aesthetically, these are some of the best models I've seen from GW in a very long time.

Wyddr, you have to play Thousand Sons now :).
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2016, 10:39:54 AM »
The Tzangors, are from the age of sigmar Silver Tower board game. They just gave them some 40k weapons, which is pretty cool.

I'm too far committed to my kdk to go for tzeentch, but I might need to start a new army when the chaos legions book is released!
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2016, 10:50:33 AM »
Wyddr, you have to play Thousand Sons now :).

DAMMIT! NOT AGAIN!

I like the Tzaangors, though. They look cool. Not sure I'll be using them, but still it'll be nice to have something besides Rubric Marines to fill in troops slots. No fun being outnumbered 2-to-1 by Space Marines, you know?

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
  • "Bees. My God" was an obscure Batman quote.
« Reply #4 on: December 4, 2016, 12:29:39 AM »
Are those the first gors in 40k?

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #5 on: December 4, 2016, 10:11:55 AM »
Yup!

Hoping I can pick up the book tomorrow. Barring that I'm going to have to order it online and it won't be in my hands for a week or two.

Have you guys heard about the new Horrors rules? Split?  :o
It sounds so hilariously bonkers. I'm going to have to track down a whole crapton of blue horrors miniatures somehow.

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #6 on: December 4, 2016, 10:50:21 AM »
There's nothing new about that rule.  They've reinstated it from old editions of Fantasy and Epic ;).  Still, all those extra Blue Horrors would be useful additional bodies for your Thousand Sons army ;).
« Last Edit: December 4, 2016, 10:52:02 AM by Irisado »
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
  • I tread the hidden path.....
  • Armies: Eldar, Raven Guard, Slaanesh
« Reply #7 on: December 4, 2016, 01:49:43 PM »
There's nothing new about that rule.  They've reinstated it from old editions of Fantasy and Epic ;).  Still, all those extra Blue Horrors would be useful additional bodies for your Thousand Sons army ;).

It's a rule that can be so massively exploited but it's so characterful and could really help a Thousand Sons army that is likely to be struggling with numbers!
Looks like a lot of the big tournaments are already looking at rulings on the rule though.
+++ VICTORUS AUT MORTIS +++

My Army Blog (Corsair & Raven Guard: Here

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #8 on: December 4, 2016, 06:15:41 PM »
I know the old rule, but this takes it to something of an extreme.

People are grousing about it being overpowering, etc., etc., but I'm not sure I buy that. Horrors are simply *awful* as is. A couple warp dice is not sufficient recompense for them being unarmed units with mediocre saves. It'll make them terribly hard to shift from objectives (well, in entirety), but hardly sufficient to make them game-breakers.

It's the whole "summoning will break the game" argument all over again. It didn't and neither will this. It just makes Horrors actually good instead of actively terrible.

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
« Reply #9 on: December 4, 2016, 07:05:30 PM »
It's also going to bleed kill points. The main issue, is the new horrors are placed at the end of the phase, which is really annoying. They can all still cast flicker fire, or maybe even a D-shot.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #10 on: December 4, 2016, 08:50:01 PM »
In practical usage of the Tzeentch psychic phase, the odds of you being sufficiently flush with dice to blow a power attempt on a low-BS shot are kinda slim. Generally horros exist to offer dice, not cast powers of their own. Well, unless you're running a Warpflame Host or something.

Anyway, I doubt blue horrors will be a serious offensive concern.

• Ancient
« Reply #11 on: December 4, 2016, 10:07:32 PM »
A buddy of mine is ordering 120 brimstone horrors. six squads of 10, is 180pts :( They can still go to ground in ruins for a 3+ inv. save, re-rolling 1's. They are going to be a pain to get off objectives and make getting a horde of troops cost nothing. Going to be brutal for anything without strength to deal with (Dark Eldar will cry).

Not looking forward to having to wade through all those bodies.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #12 on: December 5, 2016, 07:09:00 AM »
It seems absolutley bonkers to me, but I actually kind of like it. I wouldn't want to play 6 games in a row against it at a tournament with Fateweaver and Magnus flying around making my life miserable, but in a pick up game every once and while I think it'd be awesome.

Its totally over the top, probably be super frustrating to play against but I love Chaos having either that raw intimidation factor like Emperor's Children, World Eaters, Death Guard and Iron Warriors will certainly have now... or the weird factor like Thousand Sons will be bringing to the game where you drastically have to shift your approach to the game... sort of like playing against a mixed Eldar factions Leadership Shenangigans with spearheaded by Harlies, DE Pain Engines etc. where whatever unit falls under their eye finds it nigh impossible to make leadership saves and just runs off the board due to psychic horror.

I've listened to the break down on a number of podcasts, mainly Signals from the Frontline and it is bananas. But it so easily matches the fluff, and it seems intentional from a rules perspective... especially considering how ridiculously expensive each of the Thousand Sons rubric units are. You can actually invest in those units and have ungodly hordes of Horrors running around. I'll be interested to see how actually plays out on the battlefield... that'll be the ultimate barometer for me.
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #13 on: December 5, 2016, 08:27:58 AM »
Oh, yes--from an objective-claiming perspective, Horros just became ridiculous. They aren't gonna be killing your dudes very much, though. Even getting them the 3++ requires the gamble of the Grimore or a series of other chance events to align.

We'll see how it goes. Not overly worried for my opponents, myself. Just don't shoot them and aim to contest.