News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: tournament list help  (Read 1841 times)

Offline BoyWonder

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
tournament list help
« on: March 17, 2013, 10:55:07 PM »
Haemonculus ancient w/power maul/shatters hard/liquifier gun/:115
2x4 trueborn w/4 blasters/raider/night shield/:356
3x5 wracks w/liquifier gun/venom/sc/:375
2x10 wracks w/acothyst/ venom blade/2 liquifier guns/raider/night shield/:410
9 wracks w/liquifier gun/raider/ night shield/:170
2 void raven bombers w/flicker field/:310
Talos w/tl liquifier gun/:105

This is a list I have created for an upcoming tournament let me know what you guys think, also I think a cronos might fair better in this list then a Talos, because of its ranged firepower, but let me know what you guys think this list is 1850 points.

Offline Ludo

• Why, you ask. Why not?
  • Armies: Marines, Flesh Tearers, Dark Eldar, Guard, Tau
Re: tournament list help
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 03:05:47 PM »
I think your list is going to get shot to pieces.  All your opponent must do to win is take down your transports and then stay out of template range.

Since 6th edition has come out I have shelved my MCs and my wracks in favor of warriors and ravagers.  You're lacking on anti-tank and anti-infantry firepower in favor of wracks with LGs.  Our vehicles get blown up very quickly followed by our units getting shot up.  I would drop the wracks in favor of warriors/wyches. 

Haemonculus ancient w/power maul/shatters hard/liquefier gun/:115

This is a very weak HQ choice with very little survivability in close combat.  I also think a shattershard and a LG are rather redundant.  I would drop him to a base haemonculus with a LG and take a HQ with a little more oomph. Urien is a possibility if you want to stay coven. His ability to hand out free pain tokens at the beginning of the game is very handy.

2x4 trueborn w/4 blasters/raider/night shield/:356

Why not put them in venom's with an extra splinter cannon? You get an excellent gunboat able to put out anti infantry & tank firepower.

3x5 wracks w/liquefier gun/venom/sc/:375
2x10 wracks w/acothyst/ venom blade/2 liquifier guns/raider/night shield/:410
9 wracks w/liquifier gun/raider/ night shield/:170

Wrack's only firepower is their LG and their vehicle weapon.  I'd keep no more than two squads worth of wracks and replace the rest with warriors in raiders. Once wrack's on are foot they are basically sitting ducks.  Bolter fire will rip you to pieces and FNP only goes so far.

Talos w/tl liquifier gun/:105

I love this model but with an invulnerable save it doesn't perform.  Take a ravager instead.  You'll get more bang for your buck.
Smurf Hero Extrodinaire

Offline Plastikente

• Back Online!
  • Armies: Craftworld Eldar, Dark Eldar, Tau
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 01:30:22 PM »
I second almost everything that Ludo just said.

I do like Talos with TL Liquifier, but in your list I would want more lances on the table from turn 1, so I would swap at least one of the HS choices for a Ravager.

Offline BoyWonder

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 08:59:09 PM »
*sigh I was hoping something else could be successful aside from a straight Kalabite such army. it looks as though my coven models will go to storage until another dex comes out thanks guys for your helpful opinions.

Offline Plastikente

• Back Online!
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 12:37:31 PM »
Unfortunately, "tournament competitive" pushes you into quite a limited selection of optimal lists for any army.

If you set your sights a bit lower at "friendly competitive" or even "just good fun by stands a chance"  then you could probably pull off a themed coven list.  But coven-themed doesn't have to mean just Wracks - a couple of gunboat Raiders filled with Warriors would really help strengthen your list.  From a fluff point of view, they could be Kabalite allies, or hired guns, or even wannabe-Wracks that haven't even proved themselves worthy yet.

If I was going for coven themed, I would definitely take some Grotesques as well, and perhaps even shell out for Urien Rakarth for his option to upgrade their strength.  2 Talos and a Cronos hiding in the Webway can also be a scary proposition for your opponent, but you'd have to strengthen your other anti-tank options to get away with it.

Offline Revener

• Moooo!
    • VÄS
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 11:59:35 AM »
Yeah if you want to run a coven list I would recommend Urien + Grots, I've found them very useful.

The main issue I see with all coven list is the problem to take down AV14 vehicles, everything else can be handles with furious charge and flyers can be ignored :)

Also Urien can lock alot of nasty characters in other armies in a challenge for a whole game :) unless they have too many attacks :)
Anyway......

Offline BoyWonder

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2013, 12:47:08 AM »
I have grots and urien, I have not used the grots in a game yet because on the net I hear so little about them. No assault out of wwp stop you from getting a large squad of them and 4 grots in a raider doesn't sound terribly effective.

Offline Plastikente

• Back Online!
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2013, 03:16:17 AM »
Try it and see. The Grots have high toughness and strength, and even 4 throw out a reasonable number of attacks on the charge. Starting with Rakarth they can easily have 3 pain tokens from turn 1 and if you pay for the strength buff they are are real threat to rear armour 10 vehicles.

Offline Ludo

• Why, you ask. Why not?
  • Armies: Marines, Flesh Tearers, Dark Eldar, Guard, Tau
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2013, 07:53:49 AM »
My "deathstar" is a huskblade/soultrap archon with a shadowfield in a raider with 4 grots including a liquifier and an aberation with scissor hands.  They act as a huge meat shield for the archon and end up serving as one of two things.  They are either a bullet sponge because the enemy fears them or they are largely ignored until they wipe out their first unit in close combat. The grots end up with 19 attacks on the charge plus the Archon. I also like to put aether sails on the raider so that, along with a turbo boost, they are right in the enemy's face on turn 2.

You do have to support them.  I have ravagers blowing up transports in the backfield, warriors in the midfield shooting their poison goodness, and a squad or two of wyches moving up with the grots.

If it weren't for the $ of the models I would try to run a second squad of 4 as well.
Smurf Hero Extrodinaire