News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Flickerfield Question  (Read 2358 times)

Offline DW

• Death Metal!
    • My band THOU SHALT NOT (if you enjoy death metal!)
  • Armies: Ultramarines 2nd Company, Tyranids
Flickerfield Question
« on: March 21, 2011, 10:00:04 AM »
Hi, my friend just started playing DE and we are wondering what's up with the Flickerfield being listed as a 5++ save instead of as a Cover save?  Does this mean Flickerfield works in close combat against grenades and all that? Does it confer anything else I'm unaware of?  Searched around a bit and didn't see anything definitive.
Swift death to our enemies!

Offline Deloth Vyrr

• Death is my Meat, Terror is my Wine!
Re: Flickerfield Question
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 10:19:19 AM »
An invulnerable save is an invulnerable save
A cover save is a cover save

It's pretty straightforward

Offline Disciple of Nagash: GT

• Neophyte | Iron Skull recipient
  • Mike Mudd 2011 Sportsman Award recipient :)
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 11:05:05 AM »
Hi, my friend just started playing DE and we are wondering what's up with the Flickerfield being listed as a 5++ save instead of as a Cover save?  Does this mean Flickerfield works in close combat against grenades and all that? Does it confer anything else I'm unaware of?  Searched around a bit and didn't see anything definitive.

Reading through the entry in the Dark Eldar codex is not only the easiest place to get your answer, it's also the clearest and most definitive. I'd suggest starting there.
Reset my counters in prep for 6th:
Black Templars: 0/0/0
Dark Eldar (new codex): 0/0/0

Offline veritechc

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 12:59:01 PM »
I really do wish people would just answer questions here instead of always being so haughty. I still remember looking through all the books and not being able to find what I needed.

To answer in case you are trying to learn:

An invulnerable save can be taken under most circumstances. So, YES, in close combat too.

Offline Galef

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 03:57:48 PM »
Flickerfield can also be used if you enter/leave terrain and roll a '1' for your dangerous test, since only invuls are allowed in that case.
Glenn's GW model Blog: Glenn's GW Models

Current Armies:
Aeldari: Glenn's GW Minis: Eldar and Dark Eldar

Offline Disciple of Nagash: GT

• Neophyte | Iron Skull recipient
  • Mike Mudd 2011 Sportsman Award recipient :)
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 04:07:04 PM »
I really do wish people would just answer questions here instead of always being so haughty. I still remember looking through all the books and not being able to find what I needed.

To answer in case you are trying to learn:

An invulnerable save can be taken under most circumstances. So, YES, in close combat too.

See, that would be the case if it wasn't clear that the OP was asking for people to be a substitute for the rules. Online forums are not substitutes for rules, they are here for rule clarifications. Obviously invulnerable saves are allowed in combat. I know that, you know that, why? Because it's in the BRB and states that invulnerable saves may be taken instead of normal saves. If something doesn't have a normal save, they resort to their invul if they have one. Explaining to the OP exactly what a flickerfield does is pointless as Games Workshop did a pretty good job of this in this book they published called Codex: Dark Eldar. It would be no different than you saying "Blah, I don't want to read Lord of the Flies, Piggy makes it out alive right?" and me telling you "No, poor Piggy gets a giant rock dropped on his head."
Reset my counters in prep for 6th:
Black Templars: 0/0/0
Dark Eldar (new codex): 0/0/0

Offline veritechc

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 04:40:08 PM »
That is all great except that you have to know:

1. What an invulnerable save is described in the main rules and where it is located.

If you look at the original he and his friend just started playing Dark Eldar. Perhaps they did not know where the information was located?

In this game the information is in a confusing array of books. Perhaps you know all that information because you have a lot of experience playing this game AND finding that information in all of those books. Perhaps this person did not. He was asking for an answer, it was not a substitution. What this forum gave him was "read the dang book"

I just do not understand how answering someone, directing them to the correct books, and generally being friendly hurts this forum, YOU or anyone else.

If that same question had been asked in person would you have given the same answer.

I think not. The internet tends to make people much more crass then they would be if they were standing in front of you.

Offline Deloth Vyrr

• Death is my Meat, Terror is my Wine!
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 05:21:20 PM »
Because we are not allowed to be a substitute for the rules. We are only permitted to point in the right direction.

He asked if flickerfields allow saves in CC, etc

We said: it's an invulnerable save, it can do everything an invulnerable save can do

Now if he goes and looks up what an invulnerable save can do, he has his answer. Done

Offline Scorn

• Supreme Archon of Commorragh | Nasty Sky Juice | Title (and/or) Whore |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Craftworld Eldar
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 05:37:00 PM »
Question answered.  Debate regarding what level of detail is appropriate to provide is subjective.  Always try to be as polite as possible.  Thread locked.
Rejoice.  Despair. 
Fate does not care.
Each knotted mind entwined. 
Each soul another's bind.
And blind though we are led. 
In time we do know when, to cut a thread.
-Erfworld