News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Necrons Vs Thousand Sons 1500pts  (Read 3346 times)

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
Necrons Vs Thousand Sons 1500pts
« on: January 23, 2010, 12:06:25 AM »
Played three games last night, I am writing a battle report about one. I'll briefly explain the others in a preface.

My second game was against Orks, went badly for me on the second turn when his nobs and slugga boyz made it to my table edge and killed my tomb spider, both destroyer squads and one warrior squad in one turn. I managed to hold off well, wiping out a battlewagon, lootas and part of a kannon battery, but Zagstruck, the nobs and warboss and sluggas were too many targets for my depleted force to handle. I completely underestimated hos far a truck+Disembark+Waaaghh+Charge can move a unit, caught me totally off guard.

My third game was 2000pts vs orks. Based off of a new 1500pt list I made, to use all my destroyers. Basically was me utterly decimating him part-by-part. He was unprepared for the flank attack I pulled with my destroyer mob, which utterly eliminated his right flank in short time, while my warriors, lord, pariahs and flayed ones marched up the middle. The C'tan spent it's time gutting the center of the chaos army without much trouble.

So, here is my 1500pt list.

HQ
Deceiver.
Lord w/Destroyer body, warscythe, Gaze of Flame.
7 man unit of pariahs.
Two 10 man squads of warriors.
Two 3 man units of destroyers.
Two tomb spiders w/PPC.

His list was;

Sorcerer with disc, winds of chaos, mark of Tzeentch
Dread w/twin-lascannon.
Two squads of thousand sons in rhinos, sorcerers with doom bolt.
Tri-las predator.
Defiler.
Two squads of lesser Daemons.

The mission was Dawn of War, with Kill Points. I won the First roll. Terrain will be visible in the pictures, but there was a bulding to my left (in the middle), woods on my right and the middle was mostly clear terrain.

I deployed my Deceiver right up in the middle of the table (For pushback), with the warriors deployed closer to my table edge to be close to my support units.

He deployed nothing.

Before the first turn, I use my Grand Illusion to re-deploy the C'tan closer to my Warriors.

First turn.

I move the warrior squads forward, destroyers deployed behind cover. Pariahs and my Lord come up the middle of my lines (hopefully warriors give them cover). Tomb spiders chill around my flanks. I mostly just run everything forward as there is little to shoot.

He brings in his force directly in front of my. Dread to the far right, in case of fire frenzy. The Rhinos rush forward and disembark the Thousand Sons, while the Sorcerer floats behind. The Pred, Defiler and Dread all shoot at the Deceiver, but I am protected by my high toughness and Inv. Save. The thousand sons shoot my Warriors, damaging a couple from each squad.

Second Turn

I manage to bring all my warriors back, besides one. at this point, I am not worried about anything but the Defiler. The thousand sons can knock me down, but I can get back up. While the defiler can easily nuke most my army in a couple of turns. The pariahs advance forward, as does the Spiders. Destroyers pop out to LoS of the Defiler. In hindsight, I should have just shot his troops with the destroyers, but I fired them all at the Defiler, producing no damage that couldn't be ignored with it's daemonic possession. The pariahs run forward a bit more, warriors hold back. At this point, Pariahs can die, but warriors cannot.

His thousand sons advance towards my legions, dread keeps creeping along the right flank, while the Sorcerer cautious creeps in the back. His Defiler fires an ordinance shell at my warriors on the right flank, but scatter and cover saves me from damage. A unit of Lesser Daemons pops out on the right side, in front of the thousand sons there. The thousand sons on the right fire at the Destroyers on my right, damaging one. The Thousand sons on the left flank, firing at the other Destroyer unit, damaging all three. Thank god for the tomb spiders.

Turn three

Four of the Destroyers remain, two phase back to the Tomb for repairs. The lord launches himself out of the pariah squad to the Thousand sons on the left, while one tomb spider hovers towards the lesser daemon pack. The C'tan is now well in my opponents lines. With the option of attacking pretty much any of his units, I move towards the thousand sons on the right. My idea is that I can misdirect out at the end of the turn and then charge the Defiler in my next turn and silence it. The destroyers I choose to shoot at the Defiler again, but still no damage. Warriors on the right shoot pointlessly at the dread, while the other Necron warrior squad runs a bit. Pariahs also run forwards (Spread their Soulless rule to as much of my opponents army I can, can affect his force weapons and lord). In assault, my spider charges the Lesser Daemons, the Lord charges the Thousand sons on the left, C'tan does likewise on the right. All combats go well, with my lord killing a couple of sons on the left, suffering no wounds in return (yay T6), While the Deciver kills three of the Rubric marines. The spider and pet kills one daemon, but suffer no wounds in return, thus the daemons end up loosing one more from no-retreat.

With my of my opponents units in combat, he las limited options. First, his lord regroups. The Dread moves towards me, while the sorcerer moves to charge my Lord. The second unit of lesser Daemons pop in. The defiler fires a blast at my warriors, but the shot scatters wild. In combat, the sorcerer charges my Lord, his Warp-Time didn't go off because of the Pariahs. My lord wins combat by two, putting the Sorcerer to LD4 (Pariahs +Gaze of Flame+Combat res), and he promptly flees combat. The new lesser Damon pack charges the Pariahs, killing one of my soulless abominations, while I scythe down two, winning combat. The Deceiver jumps out of combat next to the Defiler. Tombspider and Lesser Daemons slap each other.

Turn 4

my moving is pretty much minimal. The unengaged Tomb spider then charges the new lesser Daemons, much fighting takes place, but lesser daemons survive. The lord manages to kill one more thousand son, but is then promptly phased when he's force weaponed by the Aspiring sorcerer. Deceiver charges and eliminates the Defiler.

In his turn, the thousand sons keep moving closer to me. The lord regroups, flies next to my Deceiver. The Thousand sons each fire at seperate units of warriors, knocking down about a half-dozen warriors combined. The Pred, Dread and Sorcerer all fire at the C'tan, knocking it down to one wound. Shock.

Turn 5.

Most of my warriors get back up. Destroyers and warriors fire at one of his thousand sons units, totally eliminating them. Leaving one squad. remaining. The C'tan charges and blows up the predator tank, while the Pariahs and Tomb Spider finishes off the last of the lesser daemons on the left flank, and consolidate to try and form a wall in front of the remanning squad of sons.

His thousand sons unit creeps along the left flank around the Spider and Pariahs. They fire at my left flank warrior squad, and drop one. The Dread Fails to finish off the Deceiver, but the Lords winds of chaos finally ruptures the C'tans Necrodermis. The Thousand sons then proceed to charge my left flank warrior squad, kill one with the force weapon, but thankfully I don't fail morale. The other lesser Deamon unit is killed by my tomb spider (finally).

Turn 6.

Basically, I spend the turn counter-charging the Thousand sons unit with my Pariahs and Tomb spider, wiping them out.

In his turn, his Lord is too far away, and his Dread fires at one of my warrior squads, Accomplishing little.

At this point the game ends.

The end score was six to three Kill points, giving me an easy victory. I feel that there was more of a chance of damage from the defiler, if he had shot my warriors turn one, instead of the Deceiver. Granted, bad luck with scatter wouldn't have helped, I feel that this list I played is rather silly, this is the first time I was scared from my lack of a res-orb. Another victory for the Brotherhood of the spiraling worm.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 08:32:25 AM by Mörderkalmar »
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Griever

Re: Necrons Vs Thousand Sons 1500pts
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 12:19:44 PM »
Odd, if there were ever an army in the 40k universe that SHOULD be fearless, you think it would be Necrons. Seeing as how they are robots and all.

Offline enlg

• I like editing stuff.
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 04:55:48 PM »
the book explains that they do tactically retreat, hence why they have LD10, but are not fearless

Offline Sanctjud

• No one cares about Sanctjud's post count | Infinity Circuit
  • Absolute Chaos and SOLAR PUPPY
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 08:19:11 PM »
Nice.
At least for me, it's nice to see two generally underdog armies going at it.
I'm very happy at the resulting loss of the Dust Bucket army.

Though the toaster heads :D were pretty mauled in the end as well.

Those Tomb Spyders of yours really stick around!

My 7 Cents.
If you meet a bear named Sanctjud in the tavern, don't get into his van for candy.  I did once....it's sticky, salty, and really not very nice. :(
Raptor Jesus will get you Tangi... oh he will.

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2010, 11:22:30 PM »
Odd, if there were ever an army in the 40k universe that SHOULD be fearless, you think it would be Necrons. Seeing as how they are robots and all.

I think it's good they are not fearless, makes you need to think a lot more about how your going to use them. Also, suffering no-retreat wounds sucks ass. I have a lot of fearless units in this list though. I think if anything, Necrons should get Stubborn. They are not AI's remember, they used to be living creatures. They will still (vaguely) understand what a loosing battle is, and when to book it.

Nice.
At least for me, it's nice to see two generally underdog armies going at it.
I'm very happy at the resulting loss of the Dust Bucket army.

Though the toaster heads :D were pretty mauled in the end as well.

Those Tomb Spyders of yours really stick around!

My 7 Cents.

I think the Thousand sons would have been a lot more effective, if he had been fighting a non-necron MEQ army. The fact that I got WBB to his infernal bolts, made them kinda pointless. However, they were deadly against my smaller units (one of his squads eliminated my one destroyer squad easy). So, I am convinced that with combined fire they would be brutal against even my army. He spread out his fire a lot, so my squads were in pretty good shape most of the game, and his lord didn't really interact with my units all that much, due to him running away from my lord. Tomb spiders are awesome tarpits. A spider with a scarab swarm is essentially a creature with T6 and five wounds. I can easily put power weapon wounds on to the scarab, and put lesser wounds on Mr. Spider. Great things they are, and dirt cheap too.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
  • Ancient
  • King of the Preemptive Strike
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 10:18:18 AM »
Understand the power of trukk+Disemb+waaggh+Charge... its insane... but don't forget this one either. Scout move (pregame)+ move+shoot+charge... as with Deffkopta's it can mean turn 1 shoot and assault (and vs stationary tanks it gross ~ but even vs things like Destroyers, it'll pooch you hard).

I love your 1500pt list.. its  nice blend of Firepower and Holding power... Well done on that Necron list BTW.. (I might have to borrow it).

I also see that your paint continues to progress, and it looks great. So thanks for including all those pictures, they were great.

Your tactics were similar to what I try to use; but more successful than I have been, so your doing more right than I am... Congrats on the Victory, as you played it well.

Thanks for sharing, that was educational and fun to read.

Cheers
Join POC: Saim-Hann
or Read the Guide to Eldar
or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering

• Ancient
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2010, 11:23:56 PM »
Thanks Moc! Feel free to use the list. Personally, I used it mostly as an experiment. However, I don't like using the pariahs and C'tan at such a small points game. I felt like a lot of points were sucked into the things, which may have not been entirely necessary, at least having that many Pariahs. Using less could make them less of a threat, and easier ignored. Still need to decided if they are better off behind, or ahead of the warriors.

I am not sure how the list would do against a more competitive army, however, I like having either the C'tan, or the Pariahs in a list to help deal with things like terminators. I hate terminators. If you do use the list, let me know how it works for you. This was my first 'real' game with the things, so I am really liking the potential combos they can give with other units. I like the idea of combining flayed ones, a Gaze of Flame lord and Pariahs together to make my opponents hit me on 6's in combat, and still LD6 when they lose. Gaze+Souless is Awesome!

I am working on adding carapace markings to the destroyers and things. Have all them done but my heavy destroyers. Speaking of Destroyers, I really want to get more eventually so I can field a solid Destroyer Armada. I really, really, really like them. I find them very cool.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
  • Ancient
  • King of the Preemptive Strike
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2010, 12:08:49 AM »
I have the Full Destroyer Armada... its not as good in 5th as it used to be... But in some games it can be good.

I run 5 Pariah at 1500pts... and a Detroyer lord w/GOF... What I am lacking is the added firepower you have with the destroyers...

Cheers.
Join POC: Saim-Hann
or Read the Guide to Eldar
or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering

Offline Valhalla

• BANNED: Mafty sock account | I see Bread People!
  • The Valkyrie
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2010, 12:07:59 PM »
Nice batrep, nice to see the necrons come out on top. The deceiver definatly did its work. Thousand sons are kind of an overpriced unit for what they do though.