News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 6th edition test list  (Read 4553 times)

Offline Lazarus

• Infinity Circuit - The Voice of Reason
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Space Wolves & Imperial Guard
6th edition test list
« on: July 2, 2012, 05:34:37 PM »
Here is my 2,000 point test list for this Saturday:

1,999 points
(210) Eldrad w/ regular Eldar powers
(200) Jetbike Seer w/ Runes of witnessing, Spirit Stones and 4 divination powers
(210) 6 Guardian Jetbikes w/ 2 shuriken cannons, Warlock w/ Destructor
(95) 10 guardian defenders w/ scatter laser
(240) 10 Pathfinders
(396) 10 Wraith guard w/ Spirit Seer w/ conceal
(108) 6 Fire Dragons w/ Exarch upgrade
(135) Wave Serpent w/ TL Brightlance
(155) Wraithlord w/ EML & Brighlance
(150) 3 D-Cannons
(100) Aegis Defense line w/ Quad Auto Cannon

This is just for testing out some ideas. The Aegis defense line is usefull for pretty much assuring that the Pathfinders will have a cover save no matter what the board looks like and the Quad gun gives some decent flyer protection. What the primary focus of the list will be could all have to do with what I rolled for my psychic powers (I hate the fact they are random).
These are the powers in the order of what I am looking for:
(level 2) Forewarning
(level 0) Prescience
(level 4) Perfect Timing
(level 3) Misfortune
(level 1) Foreboding
(level 6) Scrier's gaze
(level 5) Precognition

new bike rules makes my Seer harder to kill than he was in 5th edition. I gave him the bike not only for this, but for the flexibility you will need as you can't be assured of what powers you are getting. Eldrad obviously goes into the wraithguard unit which is already very sturdy, I'm just hoping that I can get Forewarning to make them  even more so. Powers stack so it will be fun using multiple buffs etc.
Pathfinders have potential rending and the potential ability to pick out individual models in a unit. Stuff like this is going to be key in this edition.

I'm torn on the fire dragons....it is likely a unit that isn't really needed in the list. I could replace them and their Serpent for a full unit of Warwalkers etc......still mucking around with it.

Edit: Seriously considering replacing the Dragons & Serpent with a kitted out Dark Reaper unit. Hoping to roll Perfect Timing on the power chart and take advantage of their firepower...
« Last Edit: July 2, 2012, 07:10:10 PM by Lazarus »
"If someone used the ridiculous cover saves rule on me I'd probably punch him in the face. If he's still standing he would be entitled to punch me in the face, take my army, and my woman if he can. This is known as the Conan rule of play, and is not forbidden in the core rules and encourages serious amounts of sportsmanship." - Carniflex

Offline Aoitora

• Aspect Warrior
Re: 6th edition test list
« Reply #1 on: July 3, 2012, 02:33:18 AM »
I still think that reliable anti AV14 will be required as Land Raiders are still good for delivering TH/SS terminators which will still be a common sight on the battlefield.

I do think that rangers/pathfinders will be quite useful due to the rules for the ranger longrifle and Precision shot neutering special weapons and serg's etc. Good call on the aegis line too I'll have to include such a thing when I write pathfinders into my list.

Interesting choice for D-cannons, is this for area denial? Admittedly I skipped the artillery rules assuming they would suck (besides not owning any of the models).

May I ask why you're not running 2x RoWarding with the FAQ change some months back?

Offline Lazarus

• Ancient
« Reply #2 on: July 3, 2012, 04:46:48 AM »
I still think that reliable anti AV14 will be required as Land Raiders are still good for delivering TH/SS terminators which will still be a common sight on the battlefield.

Agreed. I'm just messing around with some ideas I want to test right now....sad thing is, I can't fit everything into the list.

I do think that rangers/pathfinders will be quite useful due to the rules for the ranger longrifle and Precision shot neutering special weapons and serg's etc. Good call on the aegis line too I'll have to include such a thing when I write pathfinders into my list.

Yes, this new edition certainly fixed poor table terrain syndrome. Now you can just bring your own.

Interesting choice for D-cannons, is this for area denial? Admittedly I skipped the artillery rules assuming they would suck (besides not owning any of the models).

Artillery are much tougher now in 6th. D-cannons add more AP weaponry and can easily glance / pen anything. It is also good for board denial. I was torn between them and testing the Vibro Cannons...

May I ask why you're not running 2x RoWarding with the FAQ change some months back?

Hmm....must have missed that. I'll check now. Thanks.
"If someone used the ridiculous cover saves rule on me I'd probably punch him in the face. If he's still standing he would be entitled to punch me in the face, take my army, and my woman if he can. This is known as the Conan rule of play, and is not forbidden in the core rules and encourages serious amounts of sportsmanship." - Carniflex

Offline Ginger farseer

• Ork Yoof
  • Armies: Space wolves, Eldar, Orks
« Reply #3 on: July 3, 2012, 03:14:22 PM »
I think this will be a good list, including a variety of u it's previously realy seen :)

So I agree that pathfinders will be very good, especially at killing irritating HQs hiding in units. Just picture it, one volly and the KFF mek hold the battle line together is gone, or the irritating night fighting infusing Imhotek is on the floor, or that combat monster you can't afford to reach you lines has fallen.

I feel obliged to point out, you've spent over 400 points on two modles, yes they are new and exciting, but it is still 1/5 of your force.
I think that we will be seeing a lot more d cannons and vibrio cannons with the new artillery rules, there weapons were always good, IMO it was the artillery unit type that put people of (it certainly did me).

othe Ethan that, this force has a very low model count, so I would recomend trying to squeeze a squad of DA or more guardians in. The guardians haven't really been helped with 6 th, or hindered much, over watch may look good at first sight. But as said in another thread, it isn't actually very effective at all.

Agree about the aegis (that is the right spelling isn't it?) defence line, it is great to hide pathfinders behind.

Finally, I also like the idea of the way terrain placement and type of terrain operates, much firer is way, although I must say the fortress of redemption seems Very cheap for what it does.
Be nice to nerds, you'll probably be working for them.

What if by 'fly you fools'  Gandalf was actually telling the fellowship to call the eagles and fly to Mordor?

"Thunder rolled... It rolled a six"

+++Melon melon melon+++
+++out of cheese error redo from start+++
+++Divide by cucumber error. Please reinstall universe and reboot+++

Offline Lazarus

• Ancient
« Reply #4 on: July 3, 2012, 04:04:58 PM »
I feel obliged to point out, you've spent over 400 points on two modles, yes they are new and exciting, but it is still 1/5 of your force.

Yes, but 2 very durable models that are massive force multipliers. This will not likely be anything more than a series of test, but you have to start somewhere right? lol

othe Ethan that, this force has a very low model count, so I would recomend trying to squeeze a squad of DA or more guardians in. The guardians haven't really been helped with 6 th, or hindered much, over watch may look good at first sight. But as said in another thread, it isn't actually very effective at all.

Yes, it does seem a bit low on model count. I lost another guardian or Avenger unit (w/ some upgrade shuffling) just to fit the Aegis Defense like in there. Honestly, I think the defense line w/ Quad gun brings more to the table than 10 more bodies. Overwatch with the right divination power is really good. People will be wary of charging Wraithguard that way....lol

Durability is what I'm going for in this list while trying to concentrate some firepower and potential wound allocation shenanigans.

Offline Halfpast_Yellow

• ##Don't run! We are your friends!##
« Reply #5 on: July 4, 2012, 08:08:28 AM »
I'd boot the farseer for Karandras myself. Upgrades your Wraithguard to 4+ cover, stick him up front and get can tank everything on his 2+ rerollable and farm the AP2s off to the rest of the unit. Shores up the issue of them being caught in CC too.

Re: the Fire Dragons, I would have Fire Warriors and a Vectored HQ suit to give the Wraithguard Deathstar hit and run as well.

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #6 on: July 4, 2012, 05:06:22 PM »
I'd boot the farseer for Karandras myself. Upgrades your Wraithguard to 4+ cover, stick him up front and get can tank everything on his 2+ rerollable and farm the AP2s off to the rest of the unit. Shores up the issue of them being caught in CC too.

Re: the Fire Dragons, I would have Fire Warriors and a Vectored HQ suit to give the Wraithguard Deathstar hit and run as well.

Considering Eldrad has a really good chance to get the 4++ invul save power, and he is going with them Wraithguard, the stealth shenanigans from Karandras won't be needed. I feel that Laz made a better choice considering the insane force multiplying capabilities of the new powers.

Laz - Obviously, you are just testing, but for competitive play don't forget to keep at least one FA and one Heavy in your list to benefit from the two missions that allows them to be scoring. If you swap the Dragons, perhaps get some Hawks in there to keep AT, and gain an FA.

Offline Halfpast_Yellow

« Reply #7 on: July 4, 2012, 06:42:19 PM »

Considering Eldrad has a really good chance to get the 4++ invul save power, and he is going with them Wraithguard, the stealth shenanigans from Karandras won't be needed. I feel that Laz made a better choice considering the insane force multiplying capabilities of the new powers.

Laz - Obviously, you are just testing, but for competitive play don't forget to keep at least one FA and one Heavy in your list to benefit from the two missions that allows them to be scoring. If you swap the Dragons, perhaps get some Hawks in there to keep AT, and gain an FA.

Eldrad is keeping Eldar powers.

With the Farseer buying 4 powers sure it's a close to 2/3 chance of the 4+Invul...but the difference is really only going to be in a combat situation, and 1/3 of the time you won't have it.

Karandras adds some much needed CC muscle, and gives you the 2+ rerollable against Lightning Claws, Power Weapons, Talon Dreads, etc etc. Basically makes the unit a nightmare in combat, where in the original list they're CC vulnerable.

Offline Lazarus

• Ancient
« Reply #8 on: July 4, 2012, 06:49:38 PM »
Don't worry, I'm looking at Karandras too, I just can't fit everything in one list. I just wanted to see how the force multiplication will play out.

Offline TheEldarGuy

• Infinity Circuit
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2012, 09:17:10 AM »
Fire Dragons have alot of competition these days.

While I have always been a fan of Swoops, they were made more favourable during 5th ed. I think they are indespensible in 6th. Wraithguard and Swoops both can one-hit a Land Raider and are either resiliant (WG) or fast enough (SwH) to deal with the payload (if any).

Swoops can deliver a massive assault onto units holed up in Ruins these days (at the S and AP of a plasma Grenade!!). Wraithguard in Overwatch and regular shooting are just plain nasty.

WraithGuard have the comparable range to the Fire Dragons, with better results on vehicle/enemy removal (who cares if you don't make the vehicle explode).

I sense new Wraithguard models on the way.

Offline Pershore

• You are in error, no-one is screaming
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2012, 09:32:30 AM »
This is interesting and looks good for testing, but I agree with others that the jetseer seems out of place but I get that you want to try the new powers. I am interested in whether you considered using any allies in this list and why you decided against it. I also see you haven't made any use of your second force organisation chart, what was the thinking there? My only other comment is that I think you'll probably come to prefer vibrocannons to D-cannons, but let's see.

Offline Lazarus

• Ancient
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2012, 11:43:31 AM »
Posted by: Pershore

jetseer seems out of place

The Jetbike seer did real well. The xx points sepnt on the jetbike is well worth it for the duarability and added protection vs. S 6 & 7 weapons that instant killed him before. The movement allows me to zip around and support units where needed. One minute I'm manning a quad gun making use of his BS5 while casting Prescience on the Warwalkers and the next turn, I jet over to support a different unit. The Singing Spear still hasn't been changed either as far as I know which makes him a good mobil hull point stripper...lol

I am interested in whether you considered using any allies in this list and why you decided against it.

Yes, there are lots of allies and options I'm considering, but want to try to avoid using them as much as possible. Too much imbalance in the game that way.

I also see you haven't made any use of your second force organisation chart, what was the thinking there?

I was trying this particular game without allies or extra FOC. My next test run will likely involve 2 FOC's. Add in potentially 2 more Seers. Likely a Fortune Seer and a Prescience Seer. The amplification you get is pretty crazy. Alternatively, I could drop the Prescience seer and some Warlocks for the Avatar....

Having a firebase where you fortune your units behind the aegis line while also buffing thir shooting is sick. The new Fortune seer would likely go sit in the Vibrocannon unit. re-rolled 3+ / 4++ on a T7 unit is pretty awesome.

I think you'll probably come to prefer vibrocannons to D-cannons, but let's see.

I think you are right....after that last game, I'm considering more than one battery of them....3 batteries would be hillarious and I could damn near automaticially destroy one 3 HP tank each turn not to mention whatever I could catch behind them...lol

Offline Pershore

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2012, 04:14:11 PM »
jetseer seems out of place

The Jetbike seer did real well. The xx points sepnt on the jetbike is well worth it for the duarability and added protection vs. S 6 & 7 weapons that instant killed him before. The movement allows me to zip around and support units where needed. One minute I'm manning a quad gun making use of his BS5 while casting Prescience on the Warwalkers and the next turn, I jet over to support a different unit. The Singing Spear still hasn't been changed either as far as I know which makes him a good mobil hull point stripper...lol
Ok I am convinced and will give this a go!  Was 4 powers necessary or can we trim some points here?
I am interested in whether you considered using any allies in this list and why you decided against it.
Yes, there are lots of allies and options I'm considering, but want to try to avoid using them as much as possible. Too much imbalance in the game that way.
This is interesting to me because I see allies exactly the opposite (I think that they remove imbalance).  I am really interested in using an ally detachment as a way to shore up some of what I see as the weaknesses in the Eldar codex.  For example, in my opinion, our troops can be rather fragile and it is therefore difficult to take and hold objectives for longer than a turn (especially now we can't score from within our vehicles).  I am therefore interested in using some resilient troops from an allied codex.  In other words, I think that I can use allies to redress existing imbalances.  Why do you think that allies increase imbalance?
I also see you haven't made any use of your second force organisation chart, what was the thinking there?
I was trying this particular game without allies or extra FOC. My next test run will likely involve 2 FOC's. Add in potentially 2 more Seers. Likely a Fortune Seer and a Prescience Seer. The amplification you get is pretty crazy. Alternatively, I could drop the Prescience seer and some Warlocks for the Avatar....

Having a firebase where you fortune your units behind the aegis line while also buffing thir shooting is sick. The new Fortune seer would likely go sit in the Vibrocannon unit. re-rolled 3+ / 4++ on a T7 unit is pretty awesome.
Yes, I think that it will get quite hectic!  I would have thought that the Avatar would add a lot more than the fourth seer as it's another dimension to the army.  I think that realistically the second chart in probably only going to get used for HQs and maybe Heavy Supports, and having to take four Troops choices is potentially going to limit what's possible at 2000pts.  It's a shame you don't get a second fortification.
I think you'll probably come to prefer vibrocannons to D-cannons, but let's see.
I think you are right....after that last game, I'm considering more than one battery of them....3 batteries would be hillarious and I could damn near automaticially destroy one 3 HP tank each turn not to mention whatever I could catch behind them...lol
3 batteries of vibros would be pretty powerful, but I think that (without a second force org chart) you're limiting yourself too much by cutting off all of the other heavy choices.

Offline Ginger farseer

• Ork Yoof
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2012, 04:29:51 PM »

This is interesting to me because I see allies exactly the opposite (I think that they remove imbalance).  I am really interested in using an ally detachment as a way to shore up some of what I see as the weaknesses in the Eldar codex.  For example, in my opinion, our troops can be rather fragile and it is therefore difficult to take and hold objectives for longer than a turn (especially now we can't score from within our vehicles).  I am therefore interested in using some resilient troops from an allied codex.  In other words, I think that I can use allies to redress existing imbalances.  Why do you think that allies increase imbalance?

because , we have fragile troops to outlay our speed, otherwise we could reach an objective turn 1, embed in cover and castle arou d it wherever. Each army has different weaknesses, and each army has ways of defending against them. Eldar are fragile,so we are very fast (and have high I), so we aren't as bad at objectives. orks can struggle with accuracy and anti tank, but they can pack an unreal amount of bodies, and are great in combat, so accuracy isn't bad, and they can spam mid-high st out of there ears.

However, add in some allies, serious imbalance occurs. If you have a weakness that you don't want to cover with your army, (for what ever reason, whether points, or overall army theme/tactics,or the army can't have it), you just grab some from another codex. I think the only reason GW added it was to sell more models and codexes.

What if by 'fly you fools'  Gandalf was actually telling the fellowship to call the eagles and fly to Mordor?

+++Melon melon melon+++

Offline Lazarus

• Ancient
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2012, 05:49:24 PM »

Ok I am convinced and will give this a go!  Was 4 powers necessary or can we trim some points here?

I believe so, unless you are lucky. Both of my games I still ended up missing one of the 2 powers I really wanted. Choosing 4 gives you better odds of getting what you want. It was cool having the flexibility on the table. Foreboding on my Jetbikes was cool as overwatch fired on my BS with twin linked Catapults. Combine that with previously dooming that target and they don't even want to charge you...lol

Why do you think that allies increase imbalance?

Because armies are defined by what they don't have as much as by what they do have. This new "ala cart" system removes army balance. If Tau (a premiere shooting army) were meant to be backed up with great CC units and Psykers, their codex would have likely looked a bit different...

I personally do not want to see non psychic armies taking Farseers with Runes of Warding just for the defense it offers etc.

Does this make Eldar better for using allies? Sure, one could argue that it makes any army better if it gives them access to stuff they normally don't get.

I would have thought that the Avatar would add a lot more than the fourth seer as it's another dimension to the army.

Yes, the Avatar adds more but is also much more expensive. Again, I can't stress enough, just how powerfull it was Fortuning units behind Aegis lines and magnifying their power. With Eldrad and 3 Seers, I would be using 3 Fortunes, Guide, 2 Prescience and 1 other power from divination per turn....this is assuming I keep both my exrtra Farseers at only one power each. These Farseers are also lending their high LD to units that could really use it.

3 batteries of vibros would be pretty powerful, but I think that (without a second force org chart) you're limiting yourself too much by cutting off all of the other heavy choices.

Agreed. However, I still might try it. Now that I understand the rules for artillery much better, my guns & crew will be functioning even longer than they did before. They are downright difficult to destroy and will be putting out an enormous ammount of hits of tanks and units everywhere. They hit flyers (have not found where they can't) and don't care about nightfight, LOS etc. Park em behind the Aegis line and laugh manically...lol

Offline Pershore

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2012, 03:32:12 AM »

Because armies are defined by what they don't have as much as by what they do have. This new "ala cart" system removes army balance. If Tau (a premiere shooting army) were meant to be backed up with great CC units and Psykers, their codex would have likely looked a bit different...

I personally do not want to see non psychic armies taking Farseers with Runes of Warding just for the defense it offers etc.

Does this make Eldar better for using allies? Sure, one could argue that it makes any army better if it gives them access to stuff they normally don't get.
Ok, I suspect that we are starting with different assumptions.  Your and G.Farseer's responses make sense to me if you start from the point that GW writes codexes that are well balanced with one another.  In that scenario, you wouldn't want to undermine the unique strengths and weaknesses of each codex by allowing allies.  My belief is that GW do not write codexes that are well balanced with one another.  In this scenario, allowing allies allows some of this imbalance to be redressed by allowing underwhelming codexes to be reinforced by strong codexes.  Which of these two worlds we live in would be a discussion for a different thread.

Offline Lazarus

• Ancient
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2012, 03:55:20 AM »
I'm not saying that the books are properly balanced against one another. I'm saying there are built in strengths and weaknesses in each book on purpose. While allies may seem to "shore up" the weaker parts of a book, has it occured to you that it is weaker on purpose, and not by accident? Again, take Tau for example: Do you think they are supposed to have a Seer Council? A total grind and destruction unit that now sits amid their mega awesome firebase and does 3 very important things at once:

1) Psychic Defense
2) Massive Close Combat potential and durability
3) Army support with powers like Prescience. Tau have lower BS on average to help balance their awesome shooting.

I think the allied system does more harm than good. APOC was already around for those who really wanted to use all their models. Now, it seems as if people are going out and purchasing whatever it is that breaks their army. (shrug)

Offline Ginger farseer

• Ork Yoof
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2012, 02:55:48 PM »

Ok, I suspect that we are starting with different assumptions.  Your and G.Farseer's responses make sense to me if you start from the point that GW writes codexes that are well balanced with one another.  In that scenario, you wouldn't want to undermine the unique strengths and weaknesses of each codex by allowing allies.  My belief is that GW do not write codexes that are well balanced with one another.  In this scenario, allowing allies allows some of this imbalance to be redressed by allowing underwhelming codexes to be reinforced by strong codexes.  Which of these two worlds we live in would be a discussion for a different thread.

I definitely dont think that the current codexes are balanced, having witnessed the horrors of, say, Gk vs SoB that the SoB player used great tactics, the GK player was a newb, andf yet it ended in SoB getting tabled. What i am saying is that you can use several things (such as the shooty divination powers with tau) to massively overpower certain parts of your list, you don't even need to go to an over powered codex to ally with for these. Imagine getting shot at by 30 guided (cant remember the divination version for it) shoota boyz.

Other than that, i agree that the farseers are key to this force, making them very resilient, and vastly improving shooting. On the other hand, while the avatar is a CC monster, and very resilient, and gives a fearless bubble, it, in my eyes at any rate, would be a nice addition, not something that the force resolves around like the seers.

+++Melon melon melon+++

Offline Lazarus

• Ancient
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2012, 07:05:15 PM »
I definitely dont think that the current codexes are balanced

Agreed, not all of them are. There is no reason to make them even more unbalanced though or make other books be able to do the same or worse.

Imagine getting shot at by 30 guided (cant remember the divination version for it) shoota boyz.

Exactly my point. Orks get great CC and makes up for their lack of good BS with volume of fire....now they also improve their BS too? lol

farseers are key to this force

Yup. I'll be doing another test run this Saturday.....got some new ideas to try...

Offline Halfpast_Yellow

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2012, 07:56:44 PM »
It's Warmachine balance. When everyone is overpowered, no one is.

I wouldn't be tying one hand behind my back myself. Friendly play sure, bring the shining spears too. Tourney play, no.