News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Exact meaning of cover saves: per model and per wound?  (Read 1537 times)

Offline samzor

• Refuse Bot Malfunction! Quick cheese it!
  • Armies: Eldar
Exact meaning of cover saves: per model and per wound?
« on: June 5, 2012, 12:23:49 PM »
Hi Im just trying to gain some clarity on some of the rules issues encountered in my game last weekend.
It was Eldar vs Chaos thought these are general rulebook related questions.

Page 15 of rulebook "Taking savng throws", Page 21...

I had a squad of models that came under fire and had the choice of a 4+ cover or their usual save.

I assign the wounds as per rule for wound allocation. For example: I may have been wounded 5 times by an AP5 and once by an AP2.

For the model allocated the AP2 wound can i choose the cover save for only this model?
And then use normal Armour saves for the other 5 wounds done by AP5 weapons?
(page 24 'models with more than one save' seems to indicate this is the case)
Or do i choose between Armour and Cover saves for the whole squad?

Secondly:
With regards to a warlock in an assaut fighting along side his wraithguard: does he get their (the units) average toughness when hit in assault? Eg: page 38 'mutiple toughness values'
I do not regard him as an independent character rather he is an upgrade character. Is this correct? *it makes a huge deal getting either toughness 3 or 6!

Lastly:
The squad also had Eldrad in it. During the game they were locked in combat for about 3 turns.
When hitting eldrad as opposed to the wraithguard im assuming the opponent must declare this before any of the rolling. So for instance say both him and a chaos lord are initiative 5 (simultaneous) both act and firstly declare whom they are attacking in the respective units. (chaos lord was in terminator squad)

thankyou in advance!

Looking foward to posting more in the future having just joined!

Offline premetheus

• I don't do grammer!
  • Armies: Everything, well not Orks
Re: Exact meaning of cover saves: per model and per wound?
« Reply #1 on: June 5, 2012, 01:43:09 PM »
Hi Im just trying to gain some clarity on some of the rules issues encountered in my game last weekend.
It was Eldar vs Chaos thought these are general rulebook related questions.

Page 15 of rulebook "Taking savng throws", Page 21...

I had a squad of models that came under fire and had the choice of a 4+ cover or their usual save.

I assign the wounds as per rule for wound allocation. For example: I may have been wounded 5 times by an AP5 and once by an AP2.

For the model allocated the AP2 wound can i choose the cover save for only this model?
And then use normal Armour saves for the other 5 wounds done by AP5 weapons?
(page 24 'models with more than one save' seems to indicate this is the case)
Or do i choose between Armour and Cover saves for the whole squad?

You choose for each save you roll so any that ignore armour you may choose cover and any that do not you may choose armour. This is the case even if a single model takes wounds that both ignore and do not ignore his armour.
h
Secondly:
With regards to a warlock in an assaut fighting alongside his wraithguard: does he get their (the units) average toughness when hit in assault? Eg: page 38 'mutiple toughness values'
I do not regard him as an independent character rather he is an upgrade character. Is this correct? *it makes a huge deal getting either toughness 3 or 6!

He is not an independent character if he was it would be listed in the unit entry on page 62 or more importantly on page 27. Note page 26 farseer entry for example.

As such he can not be specifically targeted and you use the rules you quoted above.   

Lastly:
The squad also had Eldrad in it. During the game they were locked in combat for about 3 turns.
When hitting eldrad as opposed to the wraithguard im assuming the opponent must declare this before any of the rolling. So for instance say both him and a chaos lord are initiative 5 (simultaneous) both act and firstly declare whom they are attacking in the respective units. (chaos lord was in terminator squad)

Yes your opponent must declare who the attacks are against, also only models in base to base with him or not in base to base with other models may attack him.

Hope that helps

Offline samzor

• Refuse Bot Malfunction! Quick cheese it!
  • Armies: Eldar
« Reply #2 on: June 9, 2012, 07:04:22 AM »
thanks. This helped for my game last night.

Im finding im not so good with the rulebook at the battle.

But later i go through it/ask questions which im remembering thus making me a better player.

Offline eiglepulper

• Make his day, someone!
« Reply #3 on: June 9, 2012, 08:03:53 PM »
Sometimes it can help to have a small notebook and pen handy just for those times when you're not sure about something. It's easy to forget a query or three when you're starting this game, as there are a lot of things to remember.

One plus though is that with the imminent arrival of 6th Ed you won't have to un-learn 5th Ed too much, perhaps!  ;)

Re saving throws: you are always expected to take the best saving throw available to you. This is made clear in the latest Necron FAQ from GW, but applies to all armies in 40k. Invulnerable Saves can always be taken even if the AP is sufficient to defeat your armour save and the weapon ignores cover saves, like a flamer or incinerator, or something like that.

E.

Offline premetheus

• I don't do grammer!
  • Armies: Everything, well not Orks
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 05:18:03 AM »
On another note, most decent players wont expect you to know exactly how to play or and especially their armies special rules. So there is no harm in asking if it is ok for them to show you the rule in the main rule book or their codex.

Also not wanting to sound cynical but there are people who will take advantage and abuse the rules to beat you knowing that you are just learning. This is an unfortunate consequence of playing any game so this is another reason to not be afraid to ask them to show you the rule in question.