News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: So Reapers are a Thing  (Read 2184 times)

Offline Wyldhunt

So Reapers are a Thing
« on: September 5, 2014, 10:30:39 PM »
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Downloads/Product/PDF/r/Reaper.pdf

Did these rules ever get modified or printed in an Imperial Armour somewhere?  This edition, the reaper seems like a really devastating anti-tank option.  When you hit, you basically have a slightly better than 1/3 chance of destroying most vehicles (1d3 haywires, slight chance a given haywire will fail, but then you have the strength 7 shot doing its own damage).  Sure, it won't help you much against MCs or unmounted lists, and sure 135 is a little steep for a dark kin vehicle, but getting off just one good shot with that thing can take out almost any vehicle in my opponent's force!

I usually build my lists around the idea of blasting open transports so that my lovely infantry units can do terrible things to their infantry units.  Dark lances are great, but it's very easy to simply not have much luck peeling open transports. At 1,000 points, I find myself simply not having enough lances to reliably destroy a vehicle each turn (at least not until my haywire wyches get in close).  The reaper seems like a great way to help with this. Even if it doesn't destroy a vehicle, a hit means I'm that much closer to pulling away my target's remaining hull points.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
Re: So Reapers are a Thing
« Reply #1 on: September 7, 2014, 10:14:50 PM »
Interesting. Still, trial rules so they may adapt somewhat before final publication.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline FuSs

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 07:41:05 AM »
You'll find the newest rules in the Forge World - IMPERIAL ARMOUR APOCALYPSE book.
They didn't change much but got slightly better with improved instant death and concussive on the weapon.

Against vehicles the reaper is worth his points in gold. Especially against tightly packed vehicles as in 7th edition the beam attack does not stop at the first vehicle hit.

If you had the opportunity to deep strike the reaper in it would be devastating to many armies. Maybe next codex or with some formations ;)

Offline Starrok

• Emerhelp - IT Outsourcing
  • Armies: Eldar + Dark Eldar allies
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 04:07:53 PM »
The beam is just a name of the shell type though -.- It isn't an actual beam. Just one shot that succeeds in 2\3 of attempts. Which is only barely comparable to ravager. Not to mention the fact this one is absolutely useless when jinked, unlike ravager with its 3 hits.
Teach yourself to be the light amongst the dark;
Stream as a river by the groaning dusts...

Offline Wyldhunt

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 01:01:00 AM »
The beam is just a name of the shell type though -.- It isn't an actual beam. Just one shot that succeeds in 2\3 of attempts. Which is only barely comparable to ravager. Not to mention the fact this one is absolutely useless when jinked, unlike ravager with its 3 hits.

Good points, though I think I'd still lean towards the Reaper over the Ravager. Even if the ravager should hit with 2 shots on average, one of those shots has pretty good chances to fail to pen/glance.  Against Tau, Eldar, and Chimeras against front armor, it's about half the time. So an average of one shot does damage against those. And then the same vehicles that could jink against the reaper can jink against the ravager leaving you with 50% (assuming no holofields, nightfighting, etc.) of that final shot *still* not doing much damage. 

The reaper may be less likely to succeed at at least one to-hit roll, but (without doing any real math-hammer) I get the impression that it's a bigger payoff when it does hit.  The strength 7 shot isn't terrible, but it's almost an afterthought.  You're going to be doing about 2 haywire hits so long as you hit the enemy at all.   That means that an average succesfull hit will either wreck a 3 HP target you've already taken a hull point off of or leave said target ripe for the finishing by another unit. 

Also, I tend to not be especially worried about jinking.  My local scene has mostly imperial vehicles, and most of those don't jink.  The necron player is the only one whose jinking is really problematic but (even with tesla barge shenanigans), I'm usually happy to miss with a shot if it means he's only hitting me on 6s on the following turn. 

Offline Starrok

• Emerhelp - IT Outsourcing
  • Armies: Eldar + Dark Eldar allies
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2014, 05:44:28 AM »
It's not the enemy, man, it's your vehicle that becomes useless once it jinks. One snapshot will only hit once in eternity, and with three shots, you can expect a 50% chance to see at least one hit despite jinking. More chance on flyers as well.
Teach yourself to be the light amongst the dark;
Stream as a river by the groaning dusts...