News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1500 point battle against Blood Angles.  (Read 3666 times)

Offline Salamando

• Jesus H Christ
1500 point battle against Blood Angles.
« on: January 22, 2002, 04:45:38 PM »
If I knew beforehand that BA's were focused on assault I would of made some adjustments, but I can't change it now, so just give me some tips or something.

HQ
1 avatar
1 farseer with cc weapon and pistol who has mind war

Elites
4 striking scorpians and an exarch with scorpians claw and they all have haywire grenades
4 fire dragons and an exarch with burning fist

Troops
4 rangers
20 gaurdians with a warlock with conceal

Fast
3 shining spears and an exarch with brightlance
4 swooping hawks and an exarch with a hawks talon

Heavy
1 falcon with scatter laser with holo feild and sprit stone (carrying the fire dragons)
1 fire prism with sprit stone and holo feild
1 wraithlord with bright lance.

2003 points total
« Last Edit: January 22, 2002, 08:24:36 PM by Salamando »
Some people may laugh at you and call you crazy, but when you're pointing a gun at them you decide who's crazy.

Offline Salamando

• Jesus H Christ
Re:1500 point battle against Blood Angles.
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2002, 08:25:18 PM »
Hey I have till Saturday... so take your time replying...
Some people may laugh at you and call you crazy, but when you're pointing a gun at them you decide who's crazy.

Offline Morsla

• WAU Exodite
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2002, 10:05:49 PM »
Okay... I think that all of those units, except the Guardians, are waaay too small. Two casualties and they're in trouble, three and they're toast...

Is that seriously 2003 points? There hardly seem to be any models there?

Anyway - back to tactics... Watch out for transport vehicles with the blood angels. Shoot them down to buy some more time - the 18" + disembark movement is a real problem.

Put the Avatar in the middle of a unit to use them to hold your line - probably surround him with scorpions, and position the unit to respond to anything that threatens your guardians.

Shining Spears - use that brightlance well, as you're paying about 100 points for it... charge them into combat only to support another unit, or they'll get minced.

Hawks aren't so useful against Blood Angels, but you can try to pick on smaller units that try to shoot you. If necessary, throw them away in a charge at a Blood Angels squad to prevent them charging you. The exarch ought to have a web of skulls in order to do  any real damage to marines.

Use the rangers to target any unit out of a transport that gets too close, but don't expect them to do much. It'll be hard to cause a single casualty, and marines don't often fail pinning tests.

Send the Fire Dragons against tanks if there are targets for them, or send them hunting terminators. The squad is too small to do much on their own, so again, gang up with other units.

Also, I'd ditch the haywire grenades and Burning Fist to add another model to each Elite squad. The fire dragon exarch isn't going to help much - maybe put his points into another unit as well.
In the Grim Darkness of the Forty First Millenium,
there will always be more painting to do...

Offline Farseer Lael

• Infinity Circuit
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2002, 11:28:18 PM »
Half to agree. Drop the hawks as they will be a waste against marines, espically the death company. You're prolly better off with Banshees because you'll need the power weapons to stop the ingore wounds thing with the death company.

If he plays with whirlwinds then you'll need something that can take them out, so a vyper or 2 would be good. Other then that, all I can say is shoot the crap out his death company because it refuses to die in HTH.
Lael Treventhius.
Farseer of the Craftworld Treventhius Psychic Warhost.

Offline Salamando

• Jesus H Christ
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2002, 02:55:51 PM »
Well I planned to infiltrate the striking scorpions and assault whatever tank is near, probally a transport. The fire dragons are in the falcon which I forgot to mention and the hawks will deep strike somewhere behind a devastator squad (if he has one) other then that I'm just using them for the grenade pack thing.

Offline Prince of the laughing god

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2002, 03:02:52 PM »
if he has his death company in a rhino, then blow it up first chance you get, use the pulse laser and the prism cannon to kill death company, anything strength 8 or higher will stop them from getting back up and fighting after they should be dead. if he has them with jump packs then blow up other transports but still use the prism cannon and pulse laser to take out death company, try to mind war the chaplain in the death company keep your guardians farseer and scorpions close to the avatar, that way hopefully you can gun down squads that get too close, but failing that the avatar and the scorps can counter charge. put your dragons in the falcon, and have them pick on any isolated sqads, or use them to finish of the death company if they only have 3 or 4 guys left, remember that if your guardians are charged by blood angels, but are within 12" of the avatar then they are fearless. Use your hawks as an annoyance and a destraction, or use them to bolster the fire lines of the guardian squad, and charge in with the scorps. use your shining spears to take out transports. And if you keep your wraithlord close to your main fire base he will be afraid to assault it.
This confusion is my illusion

Offline Salamando

• Jesus H Christ
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2002, 04:29:07 PM »
All that grouping together sounds good on paper but what if he has a wirlwind?

Offline Morsla

• WAU Exodite
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2002, 07:04:29 PM »
If he has a whirlwind, drop your fire dragons on it FAST, or it will make a mess of your army. One shot is all you'd need to cover an entire unit, shooting at the aspect warriors... and then they die on a 2+.

Don't assault a transport unless you can cover *all* the exit points. You'll probably kill it with haywire grenades, but next turn an angry BA squad will charge you with S5, I5, and rip you to shreds. Use the Hawks and spears to cover the exit points for a vehicle you are certain that you'll take out, and then all the troops inside will be killed automatically.
In the Grim Darkness of the Forty First Millenium,
there will always be more painting to do...