News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Seer Council list - C&C please  (Read 1268 times)

Offline Gay for Elves

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Seer Council list - C&C please
« on: July 16, 2013, 09:55:33 AM »
Hi all,

I've used this forum to good effect in the past when looking for advice on a new list. Please take a look and let me know what you think:

HQ
Farseer: Jetbike, Shard.
Farseer: Jetbike, Spear of Teuthlas.

Baron

9 x Warlocks: Jetbikes, 6 x spears.

Troops
6 x WRJBs: 2 x SC (Warlock attached)

3 x WRJBs: SC

3 x WRJBs: SC

3 x WRJBs.

10 X Kabalite Warriors: Splinter Cannon, Sybarite with Venom Blade.

Fast Attack
10 x Warp Spiders

Beast Pack: 4 x BM, 8 x Khymera and 4 x RW flocks.

Heavy Support
1 x Shadow weaver

1 x Shadow weaver

1 x Shadow weaver

Fortifications
Aegis defence line with Icarus cannon.

I'm going to try the list out when I get a chance, in the mean time C&C is most welcome.

My main concern is probably Heldrakes and other AV 12 fliers hence the Icarus cannon. Mainly Heldrakes tho as they will ignore the cover and saves that my troops have.

Will probably experiment with the WRJB unit size but have found the smaller squads much easier to hide behind LOS blocking terrain, which seems to make them more survivable than the bigger units.

People seem to be writing the Seer Council off but I think the units' potential is huge. I have six attempts at fortune but I'm looking forward to making the unit work when I don't roll that magic five. With the Baron, shrouding and the potential for protect they can still be very resilient without fortune. Also, and perhaps more importantly with the new dex I am able to fit plenty of other very offensive units in to the list that can't be ignored, which will probably mean slightly less fire coming at the council.

[mod]Removed reference to the V word. Please see forum rule 11 for the reason - Iris.[/mod]
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 10:08:04 AM by Irisado »

Offline stezerok

• Infinity Circuit
  • For Jason Lezak, and the Missing Photo Op...
Re: Seer Council list - C&C please
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 07:34:39 AM »
The thing with the Seer Council now-a-days, is that there's SO MUCH random chance. Not only do you have to roll the right spells (which you're spending massive amounts of points to try and do), but even if you get them you still have to cast them on ld 8. I personally love Seer Councils though, so if going all out with the 9 Locks and the 2 Seers can make it happen, then more power to you.

What I will say about the list is that there does seem to be a LOT of extraneous points spent here and there. The Shard and the Spear only exacerbate the great expense you're paying for the Council, and they're on characters that aren't even really designed for combat. Also the 1x Shadow Weavers seem odd, and I can't really see them doing a whole lot.

The way I see the list playing out, the Council, Spiders, and Beast Pack are the main threats. The rest of the army are either going to be plinking away at things and being annoying or hiding out of LoS to objective grab. Your whole army is short-ranged, and the handful of Weavers aren't really going to motivate an opponent to change their battle-plans drastically. I think most opponents will move to take board control, will wait for you to come, weather your Weavers and odd Shurikens, and then focus down your big threats each in turn. At that point, it's either you have Fortune and the opponent will be stuck with your Council for quite some time, or you don't and the opponent will overcome them.

Personally, I'd drop a good few Warlocks, a couple of Spiders, and the Spear and Shard. Then I'd buy some Dark Reapers for the Aegis Line, or some Prisms/Night Spinners if you want something more mobile. If this still isn't enough, I'd even consider dropping the Weavers altogether for something with more ranged chutzpah.

Offline Gay for Elves

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 02:43:59 AM »
Thanks for the reply man, you make some really good points, board control in particular.

Will drop the spear on the 2nd farseer but will keep the shard as fearless is too good to turn down on such an expensive unit in my opinion.

Shadow weavers are a bit random. As you say the army is quite short ranged so they are mainly there to provide supporting fire as the quicker units move up. Also, I think they're fairly tough cheap scoring options for the big guns mission. I think barrage weapons are really good in this edition, they usually prevent cover from an Aegis, Tau players spread out more reducing the effectiveness of supporting fire etc and they don't need LOS, which can make them very annoying. All that for the price of three Dark Reapers!!!

Played a game at 1750 last night so had to drop the Shadow weavers  :'(. Played a Guard Gun line, football pitch deployment, he seized....... alpha struck the spiders and half the beast pack as well as some troops. However, I did get fortune on the council and both they and the beasts were in combat by turn 3 and then the game was pretty much over by the end of turn 4. He got first blood but I had the relic, line breaker etc.

On review I found the bigger jetbike squads more useful in this mission as there is only one objective. Also, I rolled up jinx for one squad of JBs who absorbed a stupid amount of long range fire. They ended up with the relic.

So first test went well. I still have to play test the weavers and see how I fair without fortune on the council. Thanks again tho for your comments/advice. Last of all watched a battle report on line where a similar list beat a Tau gunline with double Riptides and Broadsides so don't give up on the council just yet!!

Offline samzor

• Refuse Bot Malfunction! Quick cheese it!
  • Armies: Eldar
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 03:24:11 AM »
I really want to play my full 10 man dual seer council again. Especially now that the powers stack. And on jetbikes!

Despite the randomness you can always get a 3+/2+ jink save depending on wether you have gone flat out. As the warlocks primaris power will give you that.

Last week I played a small 5 warlock 1-farseer mini council (only had 6 of the models with me) and it was ok however i didnt get fortune or doom i really should have proxied more models into the council. It was a test game against tyranids. We only got to play until the end of turn 4 the only member i lost was a warlock to perils. Hoping to get more games in. Its not overlooked i think most people have'nt got enough games in to wrap their heads around all the new combos yet.

Offline Gay for Elves

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 11:44:38 PM »
Samzor, pls give it a try and let us know how you get on!

Think in my next game I'm not going to roll on RoF just to get some practice in without fortune. I still think the council can work well without fortune but you can't just charge up in to the enemies face turn 1, you need to be more selective and wait for the right moments.