News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: New Codex: Happy/Sad Face?  (Read 41824 times)

Offline Farseer Jair

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: New Codex: Happy/Sad Face?
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2015, 08:41:45 PM »
I'm very very excited about the aspect host. It's perfect for biel tann.  It feels like 3rd ed when all the major craftworlds had there own rules.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2015, 01:02:12 AM »
Support battery... I don't see the point of these now. Check out what they did to the shadow weaver weapon profile. It might be cheap enough to take vibro with.

Banshee's are an interesting change, will be interested to see how they go now they don't always hit first.

EML's are better now they take all ammo types. It will make kiting out WW interesting. I'm guessing they will become to go to upgrade for WaveS now.

Vypers... not really sure where these fit in now, cheap way of getting 2 shuriken cannons on the table I guess, A full units is going into the interesting to hide.

Chainsabres I suspect will get a FAQ shortly as I suspect there will be some heated debates of the current wording. 

Fire dragons are going to pop some transports :)

Warp spiders, flickerjump sounds wicket, but I suspect its not going to pull them out of the fire that often. Exarch upgrade is nice.

Shining spears.. this is a weird unit for the point costs. The exarch power doesn't make much sense to me, it'd rather use windrider's with scat lasers against an MC.

Crimson hunter, the exarch upgrade with starcannons might make life interesting against AV10 flyers..

Fire Prisms get chain fire.. a single high Str shot for almost 400 points... Don't think we'll see to many of those squads floating around.

Nightspinner combined shots are better than the Fire Prism rules, I that might be rather handy.

Aspect Host could yield some nastiness.

Offline Farseer Jair

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2015, 09:33:19 AM »
So can I use the aspect host formations by itself or do I need to use all the other formations?

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2015, 09:38:17 AM »
So can I use the aspect host formations by itself or do I need to use all the other formations?

By itself. You will get the Formation's bonuses, but you will not also get the warhost bonuses.

Offline mechrite

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2015, 09:51:51 AM »
I really like the different ways you can build an army, using either the warhost or separate formations, as well as just using CAD.

I'm looking forward to using my swooping hawks, their new rules allow a bit more anti-flyer without having to dedicate a specific unit; similarly with EML getting skyfire, they can be used in multiple roles.

Also, if I wanted to use my old Iyanden list I can now just use the ghost warrior formation and get battle focus, which previously required casting.

Offline Farseer Jair

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2015, 09:53:33 AM »
I'm very surprised that rangers improved. They have been a mainstay of my 750 lists and their better for the same point cost.

Offline Wyldhunt

« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2015, 11:44:08 AM »
I'm very surprised that rangers improved. They have been a mainstay of my 750 lists and their better for the same point cost.

Many people seem iffy on them because of their lack of mobility and low killing power, so maybe the models weren't selling well.  They're one of my go-to troop options, and I'll happily accept a not-so-necessary buff!

Offline Grizzlykin

• Run little eldar, run! ... And KILL THEM ALL !
  • Armies: Eldars, Tau, Necrons
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2015, 12:20:41 PM »
wait, where did you saw a buff on ranger they are exactly the same... i'm at loss here di you speak about a buff for them because pathfinder got cheaper/free? Man this ranger does not really appeals to me, is there something that wgen the fiee a 6 to wond they insta wound withap2 or something lkke this i would have missed?
The Grizzly's Arvandor Craftworld!

Quote from: Cavalier
ALL HAIL THE TORNADO! The legend is REBORN.

Quote from: Alienscar
The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member

Offline Ciliano

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2015, 12:33:54 PM »
The Rangers are now harder to kill due to their one special rule regarding cover saves which improved since the last edition.

Offline Grizzlykin

« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2015, 01:08:39 PM »
i'm sorry this is totally of topic but wich rules are you talikng about... in my dex they have exactly the same rules with the same price as compared to the last dex...  did i miss somethign somewhere? if so then tell me wich page i can find those thing relative to ranger so i check it out. sorry again about the fuss.

The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member

Offline mechrite

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2015, 01:46:53 PM »
Page 48 old codex, page 115 new codex. Both special rules begin with S but the newer codex one is better.

Offline mikesusername

« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2015, 02:42:08 PM »
Things i liked

so Gennearly everything seemed to get a bit fluffier.  and, within the codex i'd say they did a reasonable job of making the star players a little more balanced with the rest. 

I was impressed that they did this 'rebalancing' in a thoughtful manner.  did anyone notice that while the ws got worse, the stuff inside got much better, furthermore with the change to holofields being effective in cc, its much more feasable to agressively deploy them as transports (not battletanks).

Not sure what the changes to the wraithknight mean exactly.  so no comment there.

the eldar distort weapons...  while i can hear the cries of cheeze on the horizon they essentialy got better at doing what they were supposed to do (but didn't quite do) in the last codex.  they were supposed to be ultimate death for vehicles and characters/MC  but with ap 2 and insta-gib on 6s only with invuls floating around this only occasionally happened.  now if you unload on a land raider or deamon prince with a squad of five, barrring insane luck, that target is gone.  excelent upgrade.

it looks like with cheeper dark reapers and the changes to them and hawks we finnaly have some worthwhile/affordible AA.  nice. 

areas where i think GW missed the boat

flying seer councils of doom are now.... better....  because they weren't insane before.  we have a flying seer model but the cash outlay for a full squad is prohibitive... oh wait i get it.

there is no place in the army for wraithlords as i see it.  maybe i missed somehting but it looks like they've becoem even more irrelevant.

Offline Grizzlykin

« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2015, 05:01:04 PM »
Page 48 old codex, page 115 new codex. Both special rules begin with S but the newer codex one is better.

The beauty of translation... the french book i own shows the old rule not the new one... that's why i was confused... ok i take back what i said this is marvelous.
I should contact gws to tell them that there is a mistake. That might prevent problem in the future for some french player. Ty for the help

Edit, e-mail sent
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 05:50:26 PM by Grizzlykin »

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2015, 07:40:41 PM »
I have a digital (English) version of the codex and there appears to be an awesome mistake. Apparently rangers are now on jetbikes :)

Offline Grizzlykin

« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2015, 04:32:54 AM »
Ahah this guy's at games workshop really know how to make us laught but i can imagine ranger with jetbikes >< zipping around to relocate and have better sniping position ^^

Offline Katamari Damacy

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Eldar Empire, Dwarfs
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2015, 06:31:20 AM »
I love the Ranger models, easily some of the best Eldar figurines ever. Used to play them, regardless of rules. Making them more appealing doesent hurt.
The word 'politics' is derived from the word 'poly', meaning 'many', and the word 'ticks', meaning 'blood sucking parasites'.

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2015, 06:50:53 AM »
Rangers actually can take Jetbikes.... in 2nd edition. Best version EVA
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Farseer Jair

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2015, 12:55:41 PM »
Why does Jain Zar have a warlord trait that is the same as her banshee abilities?

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2015, 01:04:23 PM »
Why does Jain Zar have a warlord trait that is the same as her banshee abilities?

I noticed this - I haven't read the appropriate rules in detail, and I forget if the extra movement is given to the entire squad, but I would assume either a) Since they are DIFFERENT rules giving extra movement, they would STACK or b)It would be useful for a unit she is attached to who are NOT Banshees.

If it stacks for the squad, this is quite powerful. I'll have to double check everything when I get home.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 01:05:41 PM by Partninja »

Offline Ciliano

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2015, 01:46:03 PM »
It stacks. Why wouldn't it? This came even to the designer, as there is written something like "normally it would be D6+3 [...]". This can only imply there are ways to sum multiple buffs to a squad. Makes me wonder if it's working if you attach your Warlord to War Walkers with Star Engines too.