News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Air wing - hemlocks and crimson hunters vs. razor wings and void ravens.  (Read 1774 times)

Offline bca11

Has anyone experimented with the dark elder flyers in conjunction with craft world ground troops? I’m seeing this as an interesting possibility and I’m wondering if it would be worth a shot. I couldn’t buff theim with psychic powers, but debuffs will work fine. I could see Jinx + neurotoxin being very strong, especially against units in cover if using the Kabul of the Flayed Skull bonus.

Has anyone tried this and if so, would you recommend it over hemlocks and crimson hunters?

Offline Fenris

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Aeldari
I think Drukhari on foot and Asuryani flyers is better than the other way around, you can still get jinx from the hemlock. Cover is not generally a concern in 8th ed according to my experience, this is due to it being easier causing MW than AP -4 or better.
Ego in propria persona, non compos mentis.

Offline bca11

I’m considering a jet bike build that uses Saim Hann scatterbikes. Basic build is something like this:

Autarch skyrunner
Farseer skyrunner
Warlock skyrunner (or 2)
2-3 large units of scatterbikes
3 vipers with bright lances
3 flyers

In such an army, would you still recommend hemlocks and crimson hunters over the razorwings? The razorwings are significantly cheaper and will allow for more bikes.

Offline faitherun (Fay-ith-er-run)

• Armies: Pointy Ears and bugs
I run both ways.

I personally like DE flyers with Eldar ground forces - and this is because I like having the 5++ and the 6+ FnP on them - makes them so resilient! I'd take three razorwings over a void raven.

TBH, Eldar flyers are pretty clutch too. But after playing with my Razorwings for a fair bit, going back to eldar flyers I always felt them a bit lacking in staying power and fire power and flexibility.

I have actually stopped running them recently as most people don't seem to enjoy what I can do with them... so I'd keep that in mind too.
So, what your saying is it's not your fault you look stupid by using words you don't get?
Flawless logic.

Offline Fenris

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Aeldari
@bca11: In such an army yes, razorwings are great if you keep the disintegrators to kill swaths of primaris marines.

Why are there no shining spears in your saim-hann? They could fill about the same role.
Ego in propria persona, non compos mentis.

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
I run a pair of Alaitoc Crimson Hunter Exarchs and I cannot tell you how much of an impact they've had on my games. I do run a big unit of Dark Reapers but I'm seriously considering dropping them for a third Crimson Hunter Exarch. They are SO SO SO good. That -2 to hit and their excellent mobility usually means you can stay out of trouble and just maintain range.

They are fantastic anti-tank (I face a lot of mech Guard) and when things get heated up they can really go and hunt characters very very easily.

Also I love your list concept. I think Scatter Bikes are highly under-rated as are Saim-Hann Vypers. Are your dudes painted in Saim-Hann colors?

Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/