News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Painting Yellow?  (Read 8093 times)

Offline Amphetamine Parrot

Painting Yellow?
« on: April 24, 2007, 11:38:36 AM »
here's the deal, my buddy has alot (i mean alot) of space marines. He's got 2 dreadnoughts, 3 land speeders, 35 tac marines, 7-9 scouts, 2 chaplains (one with jetpack), a librarian, force commander, 10 command squad marines, 5 terminators, and he is in the process of buying some tyranic war veterans and possibly a tank (predator or vindicator). most of this is unpainted and he decided that it would be a good idea if I painted and converted his entire army. Normally I would be really excited to paint and convert this many models (especially when my buddy decided to pay me by buying me any and all Dark Eldar models I want) but there was one catch. HE WANTS ME TO PAINT THEM YELLOW! he wants me to paint them up in the Imperial Fists paint-scheme (but he's going to use the rules for ultramarines to play them). this is a concern because yellow is the dreaded colour. before anyone suggests foundation paints, I can't order any where I live and I can't order them online. so I need advice to paint high-quality yellow marines. how do I paint yellow effectively? how should I highlight yellow? any and all tips concerning the application of yellow would be appreciated. please when your speaking about paint colours to me, use the citedel range of colors, im not familiar with vallejo or any other paint brand's color names.

if an Imperial Fists player could tell me exactly how they go about painting thier yellow marines that would be helpful. remember, I am aiming for a high-quality paintjob, one that would score around a 7 on coolminiornot ratings, so just a basic outline for painting assembly line tac. marines is not going to suite my purpose. thanks in advance.

cheers.
I DEMAND NEW DARK ELDAR!!!

Offline -V-

• Infinity Circuit | O:nk's my painting bitch | Ork Yoof
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Fear the Shuriken
Re: Yellow Marine Yowzzas!
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 12:55:28 PM »
ok i play iyanden so yellow enough for your imperial fists.  il do a step by step run through and then il show you some results later if you want to see

over a white base coat

1) mix a load of ink, yellow ink to brown ink in a ration 4:1 and add a little matt varnish or equivalent to break up the surface tension of the water giving you a more even coat and apply this to all yellow areas

2)go over this with watered down golden yellow

3) layer with watered down sunburst yellow

4)highlight and blend watered down bad moon yellow onto this making sure you keep a smooth transition

4) 50/50 bad moon to white ectreme high lighting

Offline Raven

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2007, 05:50:22 PM »
Considering your work load, may I suggest you fork out for an airbrush and get them all sorted at high speed.

That much yellow will easily cause 1d100 sanity loss...

Offline darthplagis

• Time to crack out the bongos.
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2007, 07:58:46 AM »
i use same method as valar just i use KLEAR as the carrier of the inks (i use a yellow/brown mix in 2 shades).

nice work on that falcon too valar.

the thing to remember with IF is that the yellow is a muted yellow rather than a bright yellow so maybe a light wash/glaze with yellow ink mixed with a matte varnish to pull the highlights together when its finished will be an easy little cheat.

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2007, 09:24:18 AM »
the thing to remember with IF is that the yellow is a muted yellow rather than a bright yellow

how do I achieve a bright yellow? my friend has changed his mind on the color scheme. He now wants me to paint his marines to look like the Scythes of the Emperor chapter. this requires bright yellow and black.

Very nice paitjob on that Falcon body Valar.

Offline -V-

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Fear the Shuriken
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2007, 10:49:01 AM »
i guess for a brighter yellow you could use yellow ink over white, start off with a 50/50 of sunburst yellow and bad moon yellow and then highlight up with bad moon and add some white into the mix, still make sure to water down your paints, yellow works best with lots of thin coats rather than thick ones

and thanks for the comments on my eldar, its a motive to paint more now lol thanks guys

Offline Alexander's Son

• Mentor - Newbies feel free to ask for any help.
    • Alexander Son's web page
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2007, 12:40:38 PM »
What I have used is over a white primer 4 or 5 hands of yellow ink! Nothing else! And you have a bright yellow!
Thanks to all the people showing faith in me

I sometimes feel that everyone will leave me and they will be on their own...

A suspicious mind is a healthy mind

Offline darthplagis

• Time to crack out the bongos.
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2007, 02:32:08 PM »
yeah scythes are a little different, id suggest vallejo primer(over the black base coat, prob spray for time saving ;D) then yellow ink with very little brown and glaze medium or KLEAR, then highlight up with sunburst and then bad moon mixed, or if you wanna go SUPER bright vallejo or rackham flourescent yellow mixed in with the sunburst for eye burning brightness ;D

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2007, 02:56:43 PM »
id suggest vallejo

No vallejo wjere I live, I couldn't get my hands on it even if I wanted to, im limited to the Citedel range, but I do own doubles of every paint and and they have to offer im set.

I know I may be stepping in the middle of a matter of conjecture here, but is it best to prime with a white spray or a black pray for painting yellow?

What I have used is over a white primer 4 or 5 hands of yellow ink! Nothing else! And you have a bright yellow!

that sounds rediculius, which means I have to try it.

i guess for a brighter yellow you could use yellow ink over white, start off with a 50/50 of sunburst yellow and bad moon yellow and then highlight up with bad moon and add some white into the mix, still make sure to water down your paints, yellow works best with lots of thin coats rather than thick ones

this sounds like solid advice. I was going to ask you how many thin coats on average I should use to get the desired effect, but I think it falls more to personal preference. ive converted my buddy's first captain and im gonna start to paint him, I will post him when he's done...expect it to take me several days or more for me to finish him, it's going to be alot of trial and error until I get him looking up to standard (as ive always managed to avoid painting yellow, so i'm very rusty.)

thanks for the advice so far, and keep it commin'

Offline -V-

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Fear the Shuriken
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2007, 03:02:50 PM »
cant wait to see how it goes, i cant say how many coats exactly as it depends on how watery you make your paint, how you think looks good etc but yeh will be eagerly waiting your results

Offline Corsair970

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2007, 12:44:36 AM »
I've been doing a quick version of NMM gold on a lot of marines. The trick is to not use black primer. I can't fathom how GW uses it.

Here's how I do it-
Prime all the marines white
Wash them with a yellow color, I use $1 acrylics from Hobby Lobby, they are the same as citadel paints and have 3x as much in them.
Wash them with a really watery black wash
Glaze the armor in yellow
glaze highlights on yellow with a white/yellow color

That should give you a really nice yellow. I kept going and glazed white and then did a really light glaze of a bold orange in between the base yellow and the shading/shadows and it starts to look like gold.

By wash I mean around 1 part paint : 4 part water, and for a glaze 1:1 paint/water. GW defines a glaze as watered down inks, but I abhor inks and this is the normal painters way of doing it w/ acrylics, provided you don't use medium.

The names of the two colors I use that are good for the base yellow and highlights are Golden straw and butter milk.

That's how I do it. All I have right now is some crap pics of my WIPs, so it looks much better on the actual model when finished.

Ignore the blocked in scouts, they're after the wash of black has been painted over.

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2007, 12:04:31 PM »
hahahah, your workstation is as messy as mine! ok, ill try your method too...but I may have to prime in black, because the majority of the marine colour scheme is black, let me show you a pic of how these marines will look when i'm finished:
http://www.the-scythes.com/scythes.html

I can't figure out what he is highlighting the black with though, perhaps white, or maybe graveyard earth..anyone think they know?

hahahah, your workstation is as messy as mine! ok, ill try your method too...but I may have to prime in black, because the majority of the marine colour scheme is black, let me show you a pic of how these marines will look when i'm finished:
http://www.the-scythes.com/scythes.html

Considering your work load, may I suggest you fork out for an airbrush and get them all sorted at high speed.

how much for one of these and where would I find one that would be good for painting mini's?

PS: sorry for the double post, twas an accident.

The Modify Button forgives all accidents.
-Mr.Peanut
« Last Edit: April 29, 2007, 04:02:24 PM by Mr.Peanut »

Offline Alexander's Son

• Mentor - Newbies feel free to ask for any help.
    • Alexander Son's web page
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2007, 12:14:44 PM »
Codex Grey and a little Fortress Grey over it... usually that is the highlight to black armour... as it seems he uses the same!
Thanks to all the people showing faith in me

I sometimes feel that everyone will leave me and they will be on their own...

A suspicious mind is a healthy mind

Offline Corsair970

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2007, 01:59:06 PM »
First, thanks... and that's only my building station you don't want to see my painting one...

For black, nab a mid-tone grey and darken it with some black until you feel it's right. Then add a lighter highlight and you should be good. Easier than spending $6 on two different greys, unless you already have them.

As for an airbrush... I've been recently looking into one for larger minitures, as well as painting my sculptures. The cheapest brush is around $80 and is a top feed type that is, I think a double action. The killer is the compressor that will run you $120 to $200 for a low end one. That's why I haven't been able to buy one yet...

Offline web ghost

• Lookit me! I did something useful!
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • "Beware of this and that" -Edward Gorey
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2007, 07:42:54 PM »
one way to do yellow over a black undercoat (if that is the way you are going to go) is to use a basecoat of vomit brown on the yellow areas.  then go over it with golden yellow.  this works pretty well.  I used a white basecoat on all of my Imperial Fists but I sprayed the chaplain black as well, he is mostly black.  I used the vomit brown thing on his shoulder pad.  this is the method they prescribe for painting Space Wolves shoulder pads.  here he is:

there are tons of Imperial Fists pictures in my signature.  If you decide to go with a white undercoat, I can tell you how I painted all that yellow. 

later WG

Offline Mr.Squid

• Feral Grot
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2007, 03:36:37 PM »
Get some of the new foundation paints, They are perfect for yellow and red over black. nuff said.

Mr.Squid
Maybe the regiment consists entirely of Ninjas who were orphaned by Dark Eldar slavers. With a score to settle, these black clad night assassins fight against their hated parent-murderers with laser shurikens and untold ferocity.

Offline Mr.Peanut (Turtleproof)

• Ride Like Lightning, Crash Like Thunder | Infinity Circuit | Pork Sword of Mod-Justice | Took the basket, nuts and lol | Good grief, ye hennie pennies
  • Ancient
  • Turtleposting At The Speed Of SHift
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Sigmarines, Chaos, Demons
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2007, 04:15:29 PM »
If you have a lot of Marines to paint and to do it in yellow, it's best to take steps to reduce the time spent on each model.

Spraypaint white wherever you can.  Brushing on black is easy as pie, so if I have more than 30% yellow on a model I spray the whole model black and then spray the would-be yellow areas white.  I brush the excess white with black.

There are some pictures in the gallery of Lord Chaplain Warlight's army, which I painted for him.  Hmm, none of the detail shots are there, actually, but:
http://www.40konline.com/mos/index.php?option=com_gallery2&Itemid=837&g2_itemId=21754
http://www.40konline.com/mos/index.php?option=com_gallery2&Itemid=837&g2_itemId=21760
http://www.40konline.com/mos/index.php?option=com_gallery2&Itemid=837&g2_itemId=21763
(It seems that I didn't take more than a few pictures, I don't have any pictures of his Marines)

The complete process took longer than I had hoped, but steps could be removed.  Spray white, then slather on Golden Yellow. There may be some streaking, but most of it will essentially vanish as detail is added.  Use Brown ink to trace all of the crevices of the model, then trace the edges with Bleached Bone (which also covers up any ink blotches and drips). 

Foundation paints are pretty good, definately worth a try if you can somehow purchase just the colors you need.
You are
What you do
When it counts
     -The Masao
"Getting what you want can be dangerous.

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2007, 09:31:11 PM »
If you decide to go with a white undercoat, I can tell you how I painted all that yellow.
justed sprayed 10 models white, so I guess that's the road im going down. your method of paitning yellow over white basecoat would be nice to know :)

thanks mr. peanut for alerting me to the 'modify' button. i'll use it from now on.

and once again, foundation paints are not a possibility where I live unless I travel to Toronto or I order from the internet, which I cannot do at the moment.

Use Brown ink to trace all of the crevices of the model, then trace the edges with Bleached Bone (which also covers up any ink blotches and drips).

Watchu say??

Offline Corsair970

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2007, 11:47:03 PM »
Use inks if you want, but I abhor them. A wash is better than an ink anyday. Washes serve the same purpose as inks, but don't dry as a coagulated mes, are not shiny, and don't cost you a thing more than buying a normal color you could use for the flat areas of that color. If the entire model has been painted in washes and no glazes, it can tend to be rubbed off, but that's not an issue if you are glazing over the wash or varnishing them.

As for the Foundations, I'm trying them out by painting a whole thing of Moria goblins, and I'll document the process, the same process that I use to paint figures normally, however foundations are already turning out a bit different.

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2007, 12:02:11 PM »
im not a wash kinda guy, inks work well for me, and im practiced with them so that makes my painting go faster while I can still achieve my desired effect. I have started to paint the marine's eyes green instead of red, i think it shows better with a light green beside black. im in the process of painting 3 marines, one heavily converted vet, and 2 regular marines, one with bolter and the other with chainsword and bolt pistol. these are the three models I will be posting on this thread when im finished, and then you guys can critique them from there. web ghost, I'm still waiting for your explanation of how you go about painting yellow over a white basecoat, I have already begun this process but your input would be appreciated seeing as you have painted an imperial fists army.

cheers.