News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: What to do with these bases?  (Read 1253 times)

Offline crew4man

• I say, would anyone care for a scone?
What to do with these bases?
« on: July 21, 2011, 09:12:06 AM »
I'm not sure what to do. I got 4 extra little bases from my IG Battleforce. Naturally, I want to do something with them. But I'm not exactly sure what would fit/ what I could make them out to be.

I've already thought of Objective Markers, Cities of Death Stratagems, but other than that I wonder what else I could do with them. Note these are the standard small base.
Victory- a delicious recipe of timing, confidence, audacity, intelligence... and having more warm bodies than the other guy.

Offline Plague Tower of Nurgle

• Ork Boy
  • My troops are protected by "Nurgley Goodness"
    • Northeast Gamers Hub
Re: What to do with these bases?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 09:49:27 AM »
one thing i have seen done with bases it to make them into markers for your orders, you could also make them into markers for vehicle damage, wound counters or objective markers.
legion of sickness
lord of misery
after my death I rise in immortality
unleashing the horror my words are infected
feast on my rot
I am resurrected

resurrection of the rotten
resurrection of the dead

Offline RandomGuardsman

• Kampfgruppe RipperJacks!
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 06:19:50 PM »
  One thing I looked at, was using them to mark Upgrades. In tournaments, you are usually required to have every piece of wargear represented on the model, but not all of use have the money to field 40 of every single loadout, and not everyone plays Tournaments.

Say you take a 10 man Imperial Guard squad as normal infantry one game, but try and use them as Vets the next. Obviously some wargear would not be on them (Carapase, Demo charge, and so on) so you could make markers reprisenting them to keep next to the squad so you do not spend a god awful amount of money on casual games. Also, even with normal Infantry squads, you may take Krak grenades, or maybe a melta bomb, so this also would work.
Mercenaries never die! They go to hell to regroup!

Offline Marlec

• "The Post Reader"
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 09:31:54 PM »
  One thing I looked at, was using them to mark Upgrades. In tournaments, you are usually required to have every piece of wargear represented on the model, but not all of use have the money to field 40 of every single loadout, and not everyone plays Tournaments.

Say you take a 10 man Imperial Guard squad as normal infantry one game, but try and use them as Vets the next. Obviously some wargear would not be on them (Carapase, Demo charge, and so on) so you could make markers reprisenting them to keep next to the squad so you do not spend a god awful amount of money on casual games. Also, even with normal Infantry squads, you may take Krak grenades, or maybe a melta bomb, so this also would work.

In not a tournament player but I know that the WYSIWYG rule applies... are you sure that you can bypass the rule with a counter? before entering a tournament, people should check with the person in charge if it's ok...

Marlec

Offline RandomGuardsman

• Kampfgruppe RipperJacks!
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 10:21:22 PM »
In not a tournament player but I know that the WYSIWYG rule applies... are you sure that you can bypass the rule with a counter? before entering a tournament, people should check with the person in charge if it's ok...

Marlec

I think you might have miss read something. 
  In tournaments, you are usually required to have every piece of wargear represented on the model

Yes WYSIWYG is in effect in most tournaments. But....

not everyone plays Tournaments

Not everyone plays in tournaments, so they are perfectly find for non-tournament play.
Mercenaries never die! They go to hell to regroup!

Offline uriël1978

• Time for a beer
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 11:36:58 PM »

not everyone plays Tournaments

Not everyone plays in tournaments, so they are perfectly find for non-tournament play.

Indeed, there are some of us that don't play tournaments at all. A few years ago a did a few and decided it was nothing for me, since then I haven't done any tournaments, and I don't intend to participate in one anytime soon. I do however still play 40k regularly. I like the idea of using bases for representing different wargear combinations and I sure wouldn't mind playing against someone who used them like that.
Click on the eggs and hatchlings

Offline Markay

• Lieutenant Colonel | Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Hardcore card whore.
    • My Portfolio Website
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 06:17:31 AM »
Spare bases are always useful, looks like you've had a stroke of luck  :P. You could go down the route of making objective markers or number the bases up 1 to 4 to remember who orders first (and to actually make orders).

If that doesn't sound very fun or useful then save them. If you ever end up with some spare guard torsos you could convert some ratlings popping out of the ground with sniper rifles.

Offline Tethesis

• Dreamers come and go, but the dream's forever
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2011, 10:02:37 AM »
I always keep bases for future conversions. Sometimes I'll convert a Fantasy model to 40K for example, and then I'll need a 40K base. Or sometimes I create something out of unintended bitz, a simple example is taking one of the DE Raider/Ravager crew members and put him on a base.

So while you could make objective markers or something else with the bases, I suggest you just hold on to them for the future. You can use anything to make objective markers, but you can't use anything to make bases.

Eldar fight dirty! d(ºwº)b

Offline Brex123

• The Grey Seer of the Greater Good
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2011, 08:22:17 PM »
I alway hold onto my extra bases. I have quite a few of both 40k and fantasy, and either use them to put conversions in, or even as part of some conversions. I used a pair of small bases on a dread base to put my XV9 on (one leg on other bases, standing with one leg up). Sometimes they are just good to have to put other models on. I put the Plague Furnace Priest on a regular base after trimming the robe a bit to use him as a regular Plague Priest.

That being said, I would make objectives, but I have some for 40k already. I used the weird piece that comes with Tau Steath Suits as something like a comms array.

Offline crew4man

• I say, would anyone care for a scone?
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2011, 06:03:45 PM »
After a bit of thought and the like, I've only used one base for an objective marker. Its an Iwo Jima-style flagpole with an ominous empty helmet and knife. Filed and knifed off the hand on one of the flags, combined clay with some green stuff and it doesn't look half bad.

After all of this, I've decided to save most of them. I did write "Incoming!!!" on a sandbag to represent that order, however.

Thanks all!
Victory- a delicious recipe of timing, confidence, audacity, intelligence... and having more warm bodies than the other guy.