News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Tips for Painting Stripes?  (Read 1623 times)

Offline Cripple X

Tips for Painting Stripes?
« on: July 31, 2007, 04:28:12 PM »
Hey Guys,

I'm a newbie to the hobby who has decided to start a Saim-Hann army.  I bought and assembled a Jetbike.  The painting was going great until I tried to paint the black stripe design.  Needless to say it turned out horrendously.  I'm not much of a free-hander and to be quite honest my hands aren't the steadiest.  Are there any tips that you all could give me for painting the stripes so that I get a nice even and straight design? Thank you very much.

Offline Werwolf Traitor

Re: Tips for Painting Stripes?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2007, 04:31:53 PM »
I used tape to mark a line i want to draw on the model, try it out.

Offline Skeeve

• Brushmaster 5000
    • My painting Blog
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2007, 06:15:27 PM »
Or you can do it other way around. Prime bike, Put your tape on the bike. Paint the background around, take it out, paint the line

Offline Lorizael

• GW Shill: Infinity Circuit: Synergistic Spotter of Numpties
  • Ancient
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2007, 09:36:48 PM »
And when people say tape, use masking tape. It's made for this kind of thing and much better than selotape (I've seen people try that...)

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
  • Ancient
  • King of the Preemptive Strike
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #4 on: August 1, 2007, 06:45:26 AM »
There are many ways to get good lines or stripes and size is often the deciding factor on which is better.

For larger lines or stripes (say a Racing Stripe down the middle of the Jetbike) I would suggest "painters Blue masking tape" which you can get in 1/4 inch size, has some flexibility to it, and won't leave any residue behind. Another good thing to use is "Blue Tac" if you want to have a stripe that has a few bends in it and you don't mind wasting a little (dollar store) blue tac. You can also go to your local hobby store (check the air brush section) as there are some great "sticky sheets" that you can cut to any size you like and use for taping.

Painting lines can be done in a lot of different ways; but since you mentioned Saim-Hann here is what I would do.
Prime the Jetbike. (Black if yo like the dark look, white if you want your stripes a light colour.)
Tape your lines.
Paint all of your Reds ontot he Jetbike, do everything, shading and highlighting.
Pull the tape.
Highlight your Black stripes or shade your white stripes.

For thin lines or stripes I suggest doing them freehand, and before you say you can't paint that well hear me out. If you paint the Jetbike with all of your reds (do the whole bike) and then just paint over the reds to get your Stirpes... Black stripes go on easy with a standard brush and then just add highlights, and White can be done by doing a layer of Bleach Bone, then a layer White, and then highlight with white as there will be some shadow showing through the first layer of white. It is not that difficult if you take your time.

I hope that helps you out.

Cheers and happy Gaming.

Join POC: Saim-Hann
or Read the Guide to Eldar
or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering

Offline Cripple X

« Reply #5 on: August 1, 2007, 11:35:14 AM »
Thanks Everyone!  I really Appreciate the help!  I'll give those suggestions a try!

Offline Lomion

« Reply #6 on: August 2, 2007, 10:25:38 AM »
I use Tamiya yellow tape, if I can find a link to my vypers in the gallery, i'll show you the result.

http://www.40konline.com/mos/index.php?option=com_gallery2&Itemid=837&g2_itemId=6495

Primered white, applied tape, sprayed (will now be aribrushing) goblin green base coat, shaded and highlighted.  Removed tape painted stripe, then shaded and highlighted that too.  I was pleased with the result when i did them about 7 or so years ago.
« Last Edit: August 2, 2007, 10:31:01 AM by Lomion »

Offline KINSMAN

• Infinity Circuit
  • Death is old and slow, she will not catch me
« Reply #7 on: August 2, 2007, 04:24:25 PM »
bit off topic but you might want to show yourself on the eldar board, we have something called the PathOfCommand, which are separated into craftworlds, you might want to talk to moc about joining

i am a warlock (as you can see above my pic), whereas moc is a wild rider. you get the idea...
KINSMAN, the verbal punchbag

Everytime a noob says eldar are like legolas with a gun a little bit of me dies

see telemnar for a great banner/avatar