News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1.5k UltraMarine Spam  (Read 1217 times)

Offline FarseerFaris

• Eradicate them all....
1.5k UltraMarine Spam
« on: November 19, 2016, 07:09:17 PM »
Would something like this work? Throw as many power armored bodies on the field as possible and cleanse with bolters and Lascannons.

HQ:
Librarian: Lv2, Terminator Armor, Storm Shield, Meltabombs - 130

Trp:
Tactical MarinesX10: Lascannon/plasma gun - 175

Elt:

Fst:

Hvy:
DevastatorsX6: LascannonsX4 - 164

-1497 pts

Thoughts? Does marine spam work? Thanks!
And though all I see is darkness...
I shall not flinch from my destiny..!

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
Re: 1.5k UltraMarine Spam
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2016, 10:16:04 PM »
Marine spam only works in very specific set-ups. Certain opponents and lists will chew it up, while others won't be expecting it and won't have a good counter. 70 wounds of Marines is hard to eliminate, but it isn't *especially* hard to neuter. There's a lot that army can't deal with.

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
Re: 1.5k UltraMarine Spam
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2016, 07:24:59 AM »
I ran into something loosely similar a while back with my Eldar and it caught me totally off guard. I say similar simply due to the sheer number of lascannons. It was a battle-company with 9 Lascannon Razorbacks and it really threw me for a loop. Sadly didn't get to finish the game but my army was in tatters by turn 3.

My list was NOT totally optimized and when I faced it again later I trashed it simply due by avoiding firing lanes and maintaining cover through battle-focus. But the big difference was he was using Razorbacks... not Space Marines on foot.

I think it can definitely work against a lot of armies and should be able to handle Knights fairly well. The key will be deployment for and establishing fire-lanes, and also when/when not to combat squad. I think its a very cool list and I love the presence of plasma for anything that gets close. You can also move out and clear mid-field objectives.

However anything holding objectives in your opponents DZ will be a problem. Armies like Necrons who can shrug off lascannon fire with high mobility, multi-wound assault units with invuln. saves like Wraiths will also be a problem but thats the case with any "extreme" builds (I only label your list extreme, in that its so spammy, not crazy power cheese or anything). I think its totally worth playing in a few games, and a list I'd hold on to because I think it'd be a blast to play and quite effective. If you manage to get a few games in let us know, I'd be fascinated to see how it does.
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/