News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: New GK and Rulebook FAQs  (Read 4285 times)

Offline Embolden

New GK and Rulebook FAQs
« on: September 8, 2012, 12:18:54 PM »
So, whats your take on the new GW faqs?

Grey Knight FAQ

Rulebook

How are the changes effecting your army? I mean some of the changes are massive in regards to LOS and Characters, plus some things have been cleared up like FnP and Eternal Warrior. For my opinions you can read the summary on my blog

But I'm interested in what everyone else in the community has to say :)

[mod]Fixed broken link formatting, and removed link to blog in accordance with the forum rules on advertising - Iris.[/mod]
« Last Edit: September 8, 2012, 01:47:35 PM by Irisado »

Offline Prophecy

Re: New GK and Rulebook FAQs
« Reply #1 on: September 8, 2012, 12:28:11 PM »
Well the link doesn't work to your thoughts but I believe it was a bad update. The only positive thing was for the DK and I don't field them/own them. The culexis is basically useless now and there is no real reason to field Kaz anymore either.

Offline Galef

« Reply #2 on: September 8, 2012, 01:16:27 PM »
Paladins not being Characters anymore really hurt my list, but the DK with Great sword is super awesome.
Glenn's GW model Blog: Glenn's GW Models

Current Armies:
Aeldari: Glenn's GW Minis: Eldar and Dark Eldar

Offline Guildmage Aech

• FLAMER: Ego Bigger than his Common Sense Centre | 40KO's Care Bear of Spite | Dolphin Death Dealer | 40K Oracle
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #3 on: September 8, 2012, 05:46:37 PM »
If you wish to discuss your opinions about the FAQs on 40ko then feel free to actually post them. But I don't see why you're so important that I should to to your blog page to do read them, therefore I'm not going to.
Rules Expert 2007 | Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit 2008 | Most Notoriously Valuable Rules Expert 2009 | Most Notorious 2014

Offline Raktra (So long, I guess)

• Skarboy | Ripper | Princess of Baal
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Armies: Grey Knights
« Reply #4 on: September 8, 2012, 06:05:34 PM »
Personally I think the character change (in regards to units) was a damn good thing. Constantly challenging a Bloodthirster (or whatever) with Joe Bloggs the Marine to minimise damage was silliness.

Offline Embolden

« Reply #5 on: September 9, 2012, 02:46:00 AM »

Well the link doesn't work to your thoughts but I believe it was a bad update. The only positive thing was for the DK and I don't field them/own them. The culexis is basically useless now and there is no real reason to field Kaz anymore either.

That was a big blow to an Assassin which was probably not worth the points anyway, I'm not sure why they stopped the orbital bombardment and relentless.

Paladins not being Characters anymore really hurt my list, but the DK with Great sword is super awesome.

As a Paladin player, yep that one stings, along with the LoS changes as well (has to be the closest to Draigo), The Great Sword just became worth the points again.

Personally I think the character change (in regards to units) was a damn good thing. Constantly challenging a Bloodthirster (or whatever) with Joe Bloggs the Marine to minimise damage was silliness.

The problem is, the fact that marine sergeants can still issue a challenge or any other Sergeant, the Character changes are mainly to stop things like Paladins and Nob bikers from LoS to each other, not to prevent damage in combat.

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #6 on: September 9, 2012, 05:58:54 AM »
That's still a stupid way of minimising damage and going 5th-ed on people again. I don't see how it's a problem unless someone was dense enough to base their entire strategy around it.

Offline Grand Master Rex Nihilo

• Victory is one part planning and nine parts Faith
« Reply #7 on: September 9, 2012, 03:35:42 PM »
The Great Sword buff makes the weapon worth it, but the FAQ flies in the face of current rules but that is there decision, I guess sales of the model must have been punchy.

7000 points of Grey Knights
6000 points of Fire Drakes Space Marines

Offline Prophecy

« Reply #8 on: September 9, 2012, 03:49:53 PM »
My friend just had the same exact conversation about why the DK is good = poor sales. Lets face it the model is meh. Were working on a cultist based henchmen army using hellbrutes that are modified with actual DK parts, vengence cultists, and coteaz aka the chaos sorcerer. Lets just say 6 DK's, coteaz, and max henchmen with bolters.

Offline Embolden

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2012, 02:06:47 AM »
That's still a stupid way of minimising damage and going 5th-ed on people again. I don't see how it's a problem unless someone was dense enough to base their entire strategy around it.

It's one the main reasons Paladins were so strong, so it was sound strategy to use it. But it's gone now, bar the LOS on Draigo.

The Great Sword buff makes the weapon worth it, but the FAQ flies in the face of current rules but that is there decision, I guess sales of the model must have been punchy.

Totally agree.

My friend just had the same exact conversation about why the DK is good = poor sales. Lets face it the model is meh. Were working on a cultist based henchmen army using hellbrutes that are modified with actual DK parts, vengence cultists, and coteaz aka the chaos sorcerer. Lets just say 6 DK's, coteaz, and max henchmen with bolters.

I have a soft spot for the Dreadknight, it's not the prettiest thing in the GK arsenal, but 6 DKs that sounds pretty amazing! Will you be posting pics?

Offline Prophecy

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2012, 09:14:57 PM »
He is still considering it as the size comparison is difficult. I mean they are bigger than a dread but a DK is huge. He is being a cheesy weenus but we have to do it to scale to be fair. It's bad enough there are 6 of them but if they are also midgets that's just rude.

Offline Embolden

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2012, 02:32:54 AM »
He is still considering it as the size comparison is difficult. I mean they are bigger than a dread but a DK is huge. He is being a cheesy weenus but we have to do it to scale to be fair. It's bad enough there are 6 of them but if they are also midgets that's just rude.

True that, you don't want to spend all that time painting, converting then be accused of modelling for advantage.

Offline Grand Master Rex Nihilo

• Victory is one part planning and nine parts Faith
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2012, 12:57:41 PM »

Model them on the same base and on a high piece of terrain like ruins, wrecked rhino. Get creative, it will be fun to see on the table!

7000 points of Grey Knights
6000 points of Fire Drakes Space Marines

Offline bebe

• In Canada no one hears you scream
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2012, 11:12:29 PM »
there is no real reason to field Kaz anymore either.
Please explain why? 'LoS' was never an issue with Kaz. So what has changed?
Big man, Pig man, Ha ha, charade you are

You well heeled big wheel, Ha ha, charade you are

Offline Embolden

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2012, 01:08:30 AM »
there is no real reason to field Kaz anymore either.
Please explain why? 'LoS' was never an issue with Kaz. So what has changed?

His orbital bombard has been stopped, because he's relentless he could fire as he moved, this how now been removed so he has to remain stationary to fire, which makes him basically pointless.

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2012, 05:16:53 AM »
That's ALWAYS been the case though. Relentless never counteracted the Bombardment's ruling because it only ever mentioned the weapon types listed in the rulebooks.

Offline Prophecy

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2012, 08:34:25 PM »
I honestly figured if you put a man in a chair of that magnitude he should be able to do whatever he wants.