News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: n42 magnets strong enough?  (Read 4705 times)

Offline a2thak

• Ork Boy
  • For the emperor! ummmm...waarrrgh?
n42 magnets strong enough?
« on: February 13, 2011, 08:12:16 PM »
Hello, i just ordered 100 n42 magnets and im curious if they are going to be strong enough?  I noticed (after of course) that n48 is recommended...=]

Offline IainC

• Mad prophet of the Whalepocalypse
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Not Safe For Work
    • Antipwn
  • Armies: Grey Knights
Re: n42 magnets strong enough?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 08:42:27 PM »
Strong enough for what? Most of the magnets I use are n45 and they are plenty strong enough for small pieces such as Terminator arms or swappable bases, I don't expect that there would be a problem with n42 magnets for that. It depends what you want to use them for though.
World's first ever Dark Eldar player... Don't be hatin' now.

My wargaming and painting blog

My games industry blog

Offline a2thak

• Ork Boy
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 09:00:12 PM »
Mainly termies and tanks (raiders land raider etc)

Offline IainC

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Not Safe For Work
    • Antipwn
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 09:06:59 PM »
Again, what are you using them for? Holding turrets on? Magnetised door latches?

If you want help, meet us halfway and actually explain what you need help with rather than make us guess.

My games industry blog

Offline Marauderk

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 09:29:19 PM »
Also the size of the magnet
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done"." - George Carlin

Offline a2thak

• Ork Boy
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 09:52:09 PM »
Oh ya durr. Neodymium Magnets 1/8 x 1/16 Disk N42 Rare Earth.  I already have some of the same size though got them in two batches and wasnt informed of the strength on them (came in a lot with auctions) and though the same size one is definitely stronger than the other (one is fine with 1 magnet and a piece of metal where the other needs a magnet on both pieces.) they both work fine. 

Material  Neodymium (NdFeB)

Grade  42

Diameter 1/8

Thickness 1/16

Pulling Force 58 lbs per Foot

Polarization  Through Thickness

Coated Nickel Plated

« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 09:54:36 PM by a2thak »

Offline IainC

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Not Safe For Work
    • Antipwn
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2011, 03:07:07 AM »
So despite the fact that you still didn't tell us what you want them for, you answered your own question anyway. Ok...

My games industry blog

Offline a2thak

• Ork Boy
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2011, 10:58:02 AM »
So despite the fact that you still didn't tell us what you want them for, you answered your own question anyway. Ok...
Mainly termies and tanks (raiders land raider etc)

It's fun to be intentionally obtuse on the internet.  What do you normally use magnets on figures for?   Weapon loadouts?  I didnt specify because I cant think of any other use for them than you havent already mentioned.  Door hatch or weapon whats the difference?  If you dont know just dont reply.  Thanks.

::)

Dont see how I answered my own  question...  but thanks anyway.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 11:06:42 AM by a2thak »

Offline IainC

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Not Safe For Work
    • Antipwn
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 11:21:17 AM »
Some people use them for basing or for having snap-off flying stands on vehicles as just some examples that would require radically different strengths. Also the precise stuff you are magnetising very much requires different magnets. I magnetise a lot of stuff and I use a wide variety of magnet sizes and strengths for different jobs - this Trygon required about 4 different types and this Valkyrie used three or four as well. If you can't be bothered to explain what you want don't get defensive when people ask you to be clearer.

Oh and this is apparently where you answered your own question. Although as you don't realise it I'm not sure what you are trying to say here.

Oh ya durr. Neodymium Magnets 1/8 x 1/16 Disk N42 Rare Earth.  I already have some of the same size though got them in two batches and wasnt informed of the strength on them (came in a lot with auctions) and though the same size one is definitely stronger than the other (one is fine with 1 magnet and a piece of metal where the other needs a magnet on both pieces.) they both work fine.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 11:27:27 AM by IainC »

My games industry blog

Offline a2thak

• Ork Boy
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2011, 11:43:09 AM »
Now that post was actually helpful.  I planned on using them for everything as I saw it.  So be it an arm on a figure or a gun on a land raider didnt see the difference.  Since its clear I am new to magnets or I wouldnt be asking such (apparently silly) questions.
      I just happened to fall on the magnets I have and dont know about the ratings.  What I was saying was I got two batches of magnets.  The first was just a couple and came with an auction I had won.  The second was twenty that were given to me by someone.  Neither told me how strong they were or what rating etc.  The first few I was putting a magnet on say the tank body, and then a thin piece of metal on the load out.  This way I was able to use half as many magnets.  However when I got the second set I found that just 1 magnet and a piece of metal wasnt strong enough.  So I had to use a magnet on the tank and a magnet on the loadout.  Twice as many magnets.  Now me as a foolish noob thought I could just ask if that rating was going to be strong enough... generally speaking.  To my knowledge magnets are more often than not used on weapon loadouts but again I am a noob.  And since no one has come around saying yes I have used this rating and it works fine then no I havent answered my question.  The closest I got was you using a couple levels stronger and that is strong enough.  Not quite the answer either... 

So I guess Ill just wait til they show up and try em out it was only ten bucks.

Offline IainC

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Not Safe For Work
    • Antipwn
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2011, 11:52:52 AM »
The difference between the n45 magnets I commonly use for magnetising spare arms and the n42 magnets you've bought will be negligible. I always use a magnet to magnet bond for anything that isn't too small to fit a magnet into and that will hold plastic or small metal parts securely. For larger metal parts you'd need a mechanical bond as well such as a pin and socket even with stronger magnets.

My games industry blog

Offline a2thak

• Ork Boy
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2011, 12:01:41 PM »

The difference between the n45 magnets I commonly use for magnetising spare arms and the n42 magnets you've bought will be negligible.

Awesome thanks!  I used the metal/magnet bond on plastic heavy bolter sponsons for a predator.  I got it in a trade and the pivoting arm was broken off.  The piece of metal I used is rectangular and allows for some movement to sort of simulate the original pivot.  But ya on my new predator I left the arm on the sponsons and went magnet to magnet for a much stronger bond.  Can definitely see your point on the heavy metal bits thankfully (aside from a few old termies) most of my models are plastic.