News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Eldar Corsairs, Pre-Heresy Dark Angels + World Eaters  (Read 330785 times)

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
Re: Eldar Corsair Army
« Reply #260 on: November 13, 2014, 06:59:59 AM »
@ Dread- No worries the project log section of almost every forum tend to fly under the radar! Glad you dig my army its much appreciated!

@ Irisado- Thanks for the kind words about my models Irisado its always appreciated. As for the tone of things...yeah this campaign has been one of those gaming situations where things have gotten competitive at least it feels so from where I'm sitting. While this was not the venue I wanted to explore this end of the 40k spectrum I gotta say its really sharpened my skills and that second game against the Guard airforce was probably the most satisfying win I've ever had. Being out-flyered 3-1 and facing a Vanguard of Leman Russ perfectly suited to wrecking Wave Serpents and Wraithknights and getting him to concede turn 4 was a crazy feat considering my sort of low-to-mid level of experience in 7th edition. What made even better was that my opponent Joe was a real nice guy even if his list was brutal and he didn't complain at all and was still friendly and joking with me all the way to the end.

EDIT: To be fair my list is no walk-in-the-park either. Hornets-Wave Serpents- and a Wraithknight are an unholy trifecta. However I hope the playing with max-squads of Avengers, no psykers, a tooled up Autarch, Wraithblades (at least in game 1) and a Void Raven was an attempt to mitigate that. I plan on writing up a campaign summary and my thoughts on sportsmanship, and when to "fight fire with fire" after all is said and done stay tuned for that...

That being said the store in which I play is SUPER casual in terms of competitiveness. Put it this way Dark Angels and Chaos are the prevailing army at the store and I'm only 1 of 2 Eldar players! Its actually a real cool store, family friendly, everyone working on their armies, lots of doubles games, an almost 50-50 ratio of girls to guys which prevents the place from turning into a total dude-fest (even girls playing 40k), everyone working on their armies, playing the units they like (i've been rocking Wraithblades to great effect) and everyone is super social and friendly which has not always been my experience in my neck of the woods. I hate to hear you're not playing right now Irisado I know your so passionate about the Eldar and you have a super keen tactical mind maybe you just need to find a good group to play with who wants to go narrative- that always seems to be the cure for 40k burnout!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 07:17:39 AM by Cavalier »
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #261 on: January 29, 2015, 07:39:57 AM »
Wow! So much time has gone by... it was crazy to see my last post it seems like a year ago! Anyway guys so glad the site is back. I missed chatting with you guys BIG TIME! Well that campaign that was dominating my thoughts and posts is long gone... and in its place a burning path of Eldar glory! My army has been on fire... I've gone 11-2-2 and I'm having a blast. As you can see I've been modeling like crazy...here are the highlights!

First off was the Nightwing saga! I got the FW model, painted it played with (it did great) but I just thought the model looked dated in the end. So i converted up a new one!

Then I modeled up a new Archon. This guy has been such a champ! I've equipped him hero-hammer style with a Shadowfield, Webway Portal, Agonizer, and Blaster and he's been phenomenal... really vying with my Autarch for glory in every battle!

Then I went through a tour of giving battle honors to my guys! I picked up the old transfer sheets for the old kill markers and start and gave battle honors to my best units. Little did I realize the NEW transfer sheets brought them back (the old ones had them too but they were enlarged and I thought they were pilot badges).

Then.... I started work on my Corsair Beastmasters/Talos! Still working on these guys... and they're a bit prototype-y but they look really good now. Gotta keep working on them....

Then the terrain... picked up an Eldar Aegis from Microart for my Reapers (which have been awesome).... and gave some love to my GW terrain...

and lastly.....  the object of my Corsairs' raid for our modified Imperial Armor 11 campaign...

This was hidden on this world after the fall of my Corsair Prince's Craftworld. He's going around searching for lost artifacts... chief amongst them the Avatar!

So thats it guys. I'm so glad the site it back. This was my 1st 40k forum.... and I'll always consider it my home base. Looking forward to chatting with you all again you guys are the best.... stay tuned!!!!!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 10:24:12 AM by Cavalier »

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
  • Armies: Tyranids, Lamenters (BA), Eldar (Iyanden), 1k Sons
« Reply #262 on: January 29, 2015, 03:33:06 PM »
wow you have been busy! Well done!

I get what you mean with 'missing chatting with us'... I felt much the same way, so much so that it drained my inspiration!

I'm really curious to see what you will do with your  beastmasters... They sound like a novel idea!
check out my Iyanden painting blog.

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #263 on: January 31, 2015, 03:33:54 AM »
I really like that Avatar. I had had the same thought of using the Dark Elf statue thing, but held off because I figured that to look good it would need a certainty amount of converting...but that thing really works. No excuses now, I'll have to add it to the project list!!

Striking work as ever Cav. Great stuff.
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #264 on: February 4, 2015, 12:46:07 PM »
@ Vonny- Thanks! Lost a little steam with the Beastmaster project but I'm gonna pick it up after I finish my current projects.

@Looshkin- Thanks man I'm glad your enjoying the project. Yeah the Avatar model from the DE kit is phenomenal... I actually like it more than the FW Avatar!

Hey guys! So still plugging away. I've been really busy with big commission projects but I'm still plugging along with my own army. Both units are almost finished.... the Wraithguard will probably be finished by tomorrow. But I gotta get the Avatar a new base cause I unfortunately ruined mine. No worries though because I there are somethings I really wished I had done differently.

Really happy with how the Avatar has come out. Not totally stoked with how the Wraithguard came out... only 2 out of 5 are where I'd like them to be but they are surprisingly difficult models to assemble and paint. Next time I get a squad I'll definitely be airbrushing the bodies red instead of brush painting them. Anyway stay tuned guys.... exciting things are coming down the pipe. Trust me!
« Last Edit: February 4, 2015, 02:34:41 PM by Cavalier »

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
« Reply #265 on: February 5, 2015, 05:29:59 AM »
Absolutely awesome stuff!  I'll be following this from now on, and I look forward to seeing what you do next! :D

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #266 on: February 5, 2015, 05:41:33 AM »
Thanks for all those kind words Cavalier :).  I'm very happy not to be playing 40K at the moment though.  I don't like the current rules at all, so I'm focusing on reading battle reports, and supporting the projects of others, which brings me neatly to your models :).

Those Wraithguard look fantastic.  The colours remind me of those from Ming's army in the 1980 Flash Gordon film.  They're really impressive, and I can only imagine how imposing they look on the battlefield.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #267 on: February 7, 2015, 07:45:44 AM »
@Tangi- Thanks man! I dig your project as well!

@Irisado- Thanks Irisado. I'm a huge fan of all 80's sci-fi and thought the bold red and gold would work well for my wild Corsairs. Bummer your not digging 7th ed especially since the Eldar (no matter what the build) are so dang good these days! Maybe when I start doing battle reports for my modified Doom of Mymeara campaign that I'm playing with my brother (just the two of us) will entice you back into the game. The missions are SUPER fun and we're making all sorts of terrain just for the campaign. I can't wait!

So my Wraithguard are all but complete. Just gotta do some work on their tabards and a few little details and they'll be done. Looking at the other WG I noticed some of their gems weren't finished, and second stage highlights were missing as well. So I gotta go back and touch these guys up. Man was 15 of these things a sight when I put them all together for the first time. Its crazy I can run an Iyanden style army! I won't however... and in my narrative games these guys will only see action in the most dire missions as these are Wraithguard from my Corsair's prince's own family and he doesn't risk using them lightly. Anyway enjoy guys and stay tuned cause I'm putting in an order for a Lord of War by the end of the month. Stay tuned!

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #268 on: February 7, 2015, 10:02:15 PM »
Funny, I hated 5th and 6th and really like 7th.

Looking good, er, I mean great as usual bud. I will hopefully get some done with all the down time I'm about to have.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #269 on: February 8, 2015, 04:06:25 AM »
@Tangi- Thanks man! I dig your project as well!

Your welcome, and thank you too.  :)

I'm a huge fan of all 80's sci-fi and thought the bold red and gold would work well for my wild Corsairs.

I knew I recognized the scheme.  They're like something out of Flash Gordon, just like Irisado said.  :D
« Last Edit: February 8, 2015, 04:26:50 AM by Tangi »

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
« Reply #270 on: February 8, 2015, 04:08:27 AM »
Those look good indeed! And it is quite a sight to see 15 of those next to eachother.

I reckon even more so on the tabledtop, because in a picture like this it's easy to forget their scale: They're actually quite huge!

Reminder: Don't forget to paint the muzzle of the d-scythes. I've seen you've done it on one but not another, and it really looks very good. Would be a shame to miss out on that!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #271 on: February 8, 2015, 02:10:41 PM »
@Dread- Thanks man. Also I'm totally with you I HATED 5th edition which is why I played maybe 5 games of it and instead painted for almost its entire duration. I like all the craziness of 7th edition and there are so many great armies. Eldar, Dark Eldar, the new Necrons, Imperial Guard, formation driven Tyranids, and Space Marines are all neck-and-neck as far I'm concerned in the race for top dog.

@Tangi- While I see the resemblence to Flash Gordon the truth is I got my paint scheme from my favorite Autobot: Hot Rod!

@Vonny- Thanks and ARGHH! There are a few scattered details missing from a few members of each squad. No other units in my army have those kind of dependencies not sure why when I paint Wraithguard I always forget something!

Just wanted to share some of the stuff my brother and I have been working on together. He's painting up his Reviler Space Marines for our upcoming campaign and they are coming out great! For those who don't know the Revilers and the Raptors are the Raven Guard's only 2nd founding successor chapters.

Again all this stuff is painted by my brother! Nice to see him painting again he's really good!

Assault Squad looking sweet

Also in the works is some of the terrain for our upcoming campaign. We'll be playing a series of intro games before we dive in so expect some more in-game stuff as we continue to gear up for the campaign.

Anyway enjoy guys!

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
« Reply #272 on: February 9, 2015, 06:50:20 AM »
black is hard to paint nicely, so well done to your brother. Also, those are some neat-looking barriers!

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #273 on: February 9, 2015, 08:09:27 AM »
Your brother did an excellent job on those.  Looks like painting talent runs in the family! :)

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #274 on: February 16, 2015, 06:13:16 PM »
Those Wraithguard are looking really impressive.  I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of them in action as part of your battle reports.  I am sure that they will look formidable.  Your brother's work is great too.  If he wants to showcase his work too, he could always sign up for an account here if he's interested :).
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #275 on: February 18, 2015, 07:41:06 AM »
@ Vonny- Thanks! I've been giving my bro the feedback and he's getting pumped! He's working very hard on a bunch of stuff right now I'll have a bunch of updates on his projects later this week. Also his guys are actually a super dark (eshin) grey. One shade up from black but they read super dark. Thanks!

@Tangi- Heheh thanks!

@Irisado- Thanks Irisado the Wraithguard are superstars in my list. So glad they've come back into prominence within the Eldar dex. I will be playing them sparingly throughout the campaign though as they are supposed to be a rare and valued unit that my Corsair Prince only uses at uttermost need. However in pickup games they are a constant and everyone fears them. My brother actually does have an account on the forum CadianCommand#6 but he's posted only twice. Suffice to say he's not a frequent user of computers or the interwebs. But hey may post here in the future because there aren't a lot of 40k haters on this forum. I'll let you all know if he does!

So............... I finished my Wraithguard (except for a little touch-up on the tabards) and with just some edge higlighting on his back and a few minor details the Avatar is done!

I'll be sure to finish these units this week and then the Avatar is getting a test-run! I'm playing a regular non-campaign game with my brother this weekend as we continue to get a whole new bevvy of terrain ready for the campaign. Next update will feature our terrain and some of my brothers updates.

Also a quick note on future plans. The new Harlie dex has opened my eyes to some great new "counts-as" opportunities. I'm either gonna pop the splinter pistols off my Wyches or run my Corsair Stormies as an ace unit of close combatants aka Harlie troupes. The Starweaver is essentially a Corsair venom with extra room and hence it is also in. Gonna probably try kitbashing some Hellions on to the JB's and kitbash some Void Dreamers as Shadowseers. The army seems tricky to run but I really want to try it as the models would look great when kitbashed into Corsairs (at least I think).

So I've got my secret LoW which should be ordered by the end of the month, the Lions/Taloi to complete then the remaining models to complete my Stormies will be ordered as well and that unit will be finished. The counts-as Harlies will come after. Anyway super exciting time to be an Eldar fan as the range continues to grow and the power level continues to increase. I think Phil Kelly has taken control of the rules staff! Anyway long live the Reign of the Eldar and stay tuned!

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #276 on: February 18, 2015, 08:42:00 AM »
It took me a while to realize, that Avatar is a Dark Elf model yes?

Offline Lachdonin

• Warlock
  • Education is no substitute for Intelligence.
« Reply #277 on: February 19, 2015, 07:27:24 AM »

Khaine idol from the Dark Elf Cauldron of Blood. If the rumours about the changes to Fantasy are true, may want to try to snag one soon...

Anywho, awesome work as always Cav, good to see you're still at it!
Remember, you can make yourself a Hero, but only others can make you a God.

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #278 on: February 19, 2015, 09:15:41 AM »
Khaine idol from the Dark Elf Cauldron of Blood. If the rumours about the changes to Fantasy are true, may want to try to snag one soon...

Goes and looks it up

...what? :o

But anyway yes, awesome stuff again Cavalier. :)

Offline Grizzlykin

• Run little eldar, run! ... And KILL THEM ALL !
  • Armies: Eldars, Tau, Necrons
« Reply #279 on: February 19, 2015, 05:03:48 PM »
Well it's been a while  since i was able to see your work cavalier and i have to say... as astonishing as ever. God you can't imagine how much i missed your post :D I'm really looking forward to the terrain you're going to show us. Looking forward to see more of your bother's paint as well :)

Keep up the good work :) and keep my eyes sparkling ;)
The Grizzly's Arvandor Craftworld!

Quote from: Cavalier
ALL HAIL THE TORNADO! The legend is REBORN.

Quote from: Alienscar
The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member