News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Rogue Trader-esque Warbands and Character Conversions, and anything else I fancy  (Read 48523 times)

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Thanks dude :) Next instalment coming up!

Sadly, my inquiries were cut short by a blinking proximity alert. My hosts had fathomed the connection between my absence and the captured spy-devices. With haste, I fled deeper into the bowels of the ship. Deeper and deeper I delved into the dark until I chanced upon the entrance to a mighty cathedral, unlit and undiscovered. Sanctuary at last! Upon entry a flickering torchlight sprung to life, and a harrowing sight met my eyes. This was no sanctum. It was a morgue. Dusted skeletons littered the floor, slack-jawed and broken, firelight flickering across their ivoried limbs. Mutant and astartes alike, locked in death's embrace. For a moment I stood paralysed, until a voice echoed from behind, breaking my stupor.

"Most kin don't know," it croaked in heavily broken gothic. "Down this far they don't be-digging." The voice belonged to a black-clad raven, silhouetted in the doorway. He wasn't even aware any of them understood gothic, let alone spoke it. "Great secret of crows you now know. Of why following Wolf-gods, not Ravens." The blackbird glanced at my pistol, then to the heavy-set rook beside him. "You fight," it chimed, "Maybe be-killing us. Maybe escape. Before you try...remembering something..."

"We killed our gods."

So that's it for this little trilogy (although there is a follow-up thing coming). With that and a little background knowledge of the Raven Guard you should be able to work out where my little gribbly crows came from :) if not, here's a little explanation:

During the Heresy, the much-depleted Raven Guard began cloning experiments in an effort to bolster their numbers with superior astartes, which resulted in the Raptors. However, after an initial batch of 500 the project was sabotaged by Alpha Legion operatives, resulting in misshapen mutants rather than astartes+1. In his desperation, Corax inducted the less-mutated astartes and purged the rest.

...or did he...

'Exterminate cargo'. It was a simple order, considering they were held in stasis. Perplexing, but simple. Reaf's squad had stepped forwards. They were green recruits, but he was glad he had such willing volunteers. It would be messy work. Only after several hours had passed did he begin to grow suspicious. Where the hell was Reaf?

He gathered his veterans and descended to the labs. As the great vaulted doors swung open a familiar tang danced across his enhanced olfaction. Three of Reaf's squad lay torn and lifeless, the final having scrawled a message in his own dying blood.

THEY'RE AWAKE...

That one little origin piece has spun off a whole load of different ideas for the crows and their religion/cosmology which we'll be getting into soon hopefully :)

+++Thought for the Day:+++

Trust not the mutant, for their corruption is plain for all to see.

High res
High res
High res
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
I love the background for these guys Ynnead. Really well thought out and put together like a pro.

The latest model also really appeals to me too. I love the integration of different model lines and you know how much I like the seamless nature of the conversions.

Excellent work again Ynnead. Thanks for sharing.
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline SeekingOne

• Exarch
  • May Hoeth guide our ways...
  • Armies: Eldar (Saim-Hann), Space Wolves
WOW. Awesome, as ever! Your flavour texts are growing into a full-fledged drama. By all means, please keep them coming! :)
I fight against Chaos and for Order, because it means fighting for Life against Death. There is no other battle truly worth fighting.

"If it's not for a tournament then play whatever it is that you like. Without the pressure of having to utterly destroy your opponent it opens up alot more opportunity to have fun." - Lazarus

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Thanks guys :) really glad you're liking the fluff texts :) I've really been enjoying tying my little gribblies into the wider history of 40k. Happy you've enjoyed reading my little ramblings ;)

Next batch coming up, exploring a little bit of crow mythology based on those events of ages past :)

In the beginning there was nothing. The Void. From the Void sprang the Old Ravens and their many cousins. The Wild Wolves and the Iron Men, the Sons of Eyes and many others. Despite their differences, the gods set out to conquer the galaxy together. However, none could agree on how best to do so. Tempers flared, for the gods are prideful, and fighting began. Two of the cousins were most bitter, the Old Ravens and the Many Headed Snakes, for their similarity in nature drove their rivalry.

War raged on, and the Old Ravens needed footsoldiers to assist them. So, they set out to make the crows, envisaging their children as mighty and obedient. However, through their manifold eyes and ears the Many Headed Snakes discovered their plan and were jealous. Seeking to undermine their rivals they snuck into the Old Ravens' tower and found the unborn crows. There, they gave them the gift of free will, for what use is a soldier who questions his orders.

Fearing the Old Ravens might steal their gift the first crows fled aboard their ships, wandering the Void seeking sanctuary. Eventually, they found the Wild Wolves, who tolerated their presence and scared the Old Ravens enough that they wouldn't come seeking their wayward children.

So it came to be that the crows worhip the three houses. The Old Ravens created us, but wish to enslave us. The Many Headed Snakes saved us, but are tricksy and false. The Wild Wolves protect us, as a treacherous mountain shields the valley below. Together, they represent the three virtues of the crow world: necessity, guile, and intimidation, and all have their followers.

The idea for these guys came from thinking about how the crows would view the conflict between the Raven Guard and the Alpha Legion during their creation, from a perspective way below all the intrigues and politics of the Heresy.

Who would you view in a more favourable light? Your creators/enslavers the Raven Guard, or your saviours/enemies the Alpha Legion? From where I'm sitting in crow-town neither seem like a good bet, although both have had their part in your creation.

So we end up with your typical polytheistic belief structure, with multiple gods all with their own agendas (none of which are strictly on your side), and various adherents and advocates who identify more with one or the others' core tenets :)

Not that the Astartes care or even know what pathetic little crow-mutants believe about them ;)

High res
High res
High res
High res
High res

Oh, and the juiciest bit about this little interplay is that these guys are set in the midst of the Thorn Moons crusade...which features The Rout vs The Hydra. I sense turbulent times coming in crow society...

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
more awesome work mate, the single raised finger on that biotic hand is the chery on top, makes it super creepy :)

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
Bravo! Story just gets better, I'm really enjoying the short snips at a time.

Your colors just keep me engrossed with your attention to detail. The muted color palette screams volumes. Keep it up.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline SeekingOne

• Exarch
Magenb is right, that raised claw on a bionic hand makes it look alive. And that's creepy life indeed :)
Awesome!
Love the colour palette too.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 10:29:49 AM by SeekingOne »
I fight against Chaos and for Order, because it means fighting for Life against Death. There is no other battle truly worth fighting.

"If it's not for a tournament then play whatever it is that you like. Without the pressure of having to utterly destroy your opponent it opens up alot more opportunity to have fun." - Lazarus

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
Some slick new additions to the growing Crows, Ynnead, love the one with the scale cloak in particular :D. The other two have some menacing poses that would suit them great in a personal retinue, or just about any band of crows ;D. Cannot wait to see more!
JohnMaloneBooks website - Blog #3 - From Novella to Novel

- 5/5 Reader's Favorite Review!

A Sanctum of Swords: Embers Edition is coming soon w/ audiobook!

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
Love the Alpha Legion style cloak Ynnead. Again, the miniatures and paint really pick out your narrative brilliantly. I'm always stoked to visit your page and this time was no exception. Great work.

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
Fantastic stuff Y'nnead. Your painting skills have really leapt up a few notches. Your stuff has always been really good, but this stuff is truly excellent. I commend you on developing your own style and not just going for the GW look like I do. You crushed those cloaks and of course the modelling is next level as always. Anyway great stuff man looking forward to more Blanchitsu!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
Your miniatures are absolutely outstanding Ynnead.  The conversions are so good you’d think they were factory standard.  Fantastic stuff!  ;D

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Long time no post!

First off, thanks a ton guys :) I really appreciate all the positive (and constructive at times) feedback I get from you guys :) really helps spur me on to bigger and better things.

I haven't been idle though ;) I've been working on some centrepiece models for my little warband, and these two are what I've come up with :)

"Truly they're an affront to the Mechanicus," the robed Martian intoned, "Brimming their scrap-carts with sacred machinery, scurrying away to the dark to dismantle and tinker and construct." The venom with which the mechanical spat those three words took even Hjalti aback. "Heretical creatures. We'd retaliate if they weren't so beneath our attention. For now we have to console ourselves with pot-shots as they flit about our periphery."

And this guy :)

Two things make a crow happy. Scavenger technology, and not having to trudge through this god-forsaken mire. These two must think they've died and met the Allfather.

Well, those two took forever to paint! I honestly have no idea how you people can paint whole armies of tank-sized dudes. Especially Ad Mech ones. There's just so much surface area on these things!

Still, dead pleased I made them :) there's something delightfully anachronistic about a band of spaceborne scavengers descending in a lighter/shuttle and then a horse-drawn cart wobbling out to load up bits of tech-gubbins too heavy to be mutant-portable. Plus, it's useful for carting your wounded back to the ship :) even when the main fighting's over battlefields of the 41st millennium are dangerous places to be...

That's not the end of the updates as I've managed to get my mitts on both some Cawdors and the Blood Bowl Dark Elves (and a few other things too!). Should be lots of updates to catch up on :)

High res
High res
High res
High res
High res
High res

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
Okay, those crow vehicles have to be the coolest conversions I think I've ever seen, Ynnead, fantastic work! Not sure where you find such inspiration to build all of this and paint it too! Inspiring to see such a drive  ;D.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
outstanding! Really dig the guy with his arm in a sling :)

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
Outstanding! My only thought is actually the pink horse, just me I think maybe a grey dry brush over it to mute the color some but just me. You may have a good background idea for the pink so...
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
Holy heck those are amazing!

I looked at the first wagon and really thought it was the best centrepiece that you could have for the army. The little touches are brilliant, like the injured Crow at the back , the meat and bones hanging on the side and then the base being so, so perfect.

Then I saw the Carrionstrider. Or whatever you're calling it. Amazing. So chock full of character...it's hands down your best work to date imho.

Keep it rolling Ynnead, this stuff is ace!

Offline SeekingOne

• Exarch
Holy...
I'm lost for words Ynnead, really. This is some other, transcendent level entirely. Your earlier works already looked like they're alive, but you just keep getting better :) You haven't perchance been born in 41st millennium, only to be thrown back in time and end up here with us? ;) Because all your stuff feels increasingly like you're relating real-life first-hand experience ) Every detail, from the wounded arm on a sling to the horse's underdeveloped or mutated front limb replaced by prosthetic to the two riders simultaneously turning their heads towards a sound - it's all just so... believable. A horse with an underdeveloped limb, my goodness! I can't think of a cooler way to confer the overall bleakness of the setting.

By all means, keep it coming!

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Haha thanks a million guys! Sorry it's taken so long to get back to you!

Yeah there are moments in life when you get an idea and think 'yeah...this is so damn cool I have to make it'. Making the connection between the bird-like legs on the Ironstrider and my little crows was one of them :) could not be more pleased with it (or the scrap-cart) :)

Glad they come across as realistic SeekingOne :) a lot of the random daydreaming I do when I'm bored at work is about how to inject as much gritty realism as possible into the lives of little 40k dudes :) sort of like 'what are the bits you don't see of the 40k universe). Glad that's borne some fruit!

Now, I haven't been terribly productive recently, but I have thrown together a few new dudes :) I've got some half-made Crow-Cawdors calling my name, but in the mean time here's a couple of little distractions:

When frost and ice extend their claws,
From northern woods and tundra-moors,
Come lonesome ettins and their kin,
To hunt young kaerls for meat and skin.

-Extract from the Edda Óvættr (An Ode to Monsters)

See those markings carved into that rock? That's trollsign. Means there's ettins about. Rare that you see them this far south. Cave-dwellers. Maneaters. Bad news.

Ogryns? No. These are a completely different animal. An ogryn wouldn't know the butt from a barrel and will happily club you over the head with either. These guys build traps. Make their own gunpowder. One-for-one...they're as cunning as us.

I had the idea for these guys while I was reading about how a society of solitary predators might work over on the Worldbuilding Stack Exchange (fantastic resource btw). First off they'd be fiercely territorial so face-to-face communication would probably be very limited, but there's a wealth of opportunity for written markings and messages carved into trees and rocks along the borders of territories. Struck me as an interesting way to do an ogryn-like abhuman species while actually making them environmentally viable (ogryn fall squarely into the 'Too Dumb to Live' category so favoured by TV Tropes).

Also, figured I talk about kaerls enough I might as well make some ;) more on those later...

Next though, is some more Crows ;) got hold of some Dark Elf bloodbowl dudes and dudettes so my snake-cult gained some new members ;)

The scaled priests bickered amongst themselves. Since time immemorial they had recounted fables of the Many-Headed Snakes. Tales of tricksters as lessons both good and ill. Now, among the smouldering ruins of the Thorn Moons...they had met their gods. For the first time in thousands of years, they could not agree where their loyalties should lie...

And the snake cult as it stands ;)

Ahead of finally getting my grubby little mitts on the Cawdor kit I've also made another little female crow (Cawdors will be all male so will throw off my proportions a bit).

So that makes 4 regular crow-women (well, one of them's a concubine)...

...4 more crow-women of other groups (a snake-cultist, two mudlarks and a grey-heron)...

...3 rooks of 3 different cultures...

...and two out of three of the priesthood!

Roll on Cawdors ;)

Oh, and as always, high res ;)

High res
High res
High res
High res
High res
High res
High res
High res
High res
High res
High res
High res
High res
High res
High res

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Superb work again mate. They work look soooooooooooooooooo ooooooo awesome in a full diorama :)

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
You never cease to surprise me with your creativity, Ynnead, more gorgeous conversions as always. I love how you transformed the models for the Ironjawz Brutes into something quite alien, the familiarity is still there, but they definitely possess their own uniqueness with the way you built them. Love all of the Crow Cults you have going, all of them look great!

I agree with Mage, some sort of Diorama of the Crows Clans warring / or convening in some great gathering would be quite a sight to behold. Your models are so lifelike that I think you could create a striking scene with them.

Keep up the great work!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 06:27:12 PM by Myen'Tal »