News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: New Codex: Happy/Sad Face?  (Read 42835 times)

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
Re: New Codex: Happy/Sad Face?
« Reply #80 on: May 3, 2015, 03:34:07 PM »
Rules questions belong in Rules board, so any direct questions about rules need to be asked and answered there.  If anyone has an answer to Wonko's question, please, therefore, answer it in his topic in the Rules board, not here :).
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline haunt

• Aspect Warrior | I Won the Eldar Army List Competition, and All I Got Was This Title!
  • Play and have fun.
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angel, Tyranids, Necrons and Tau
« Reply #81 on: May 4, 2015, 10:47:00 AM »
Our new codex is not necessarily about the commonality of all the Eldar, since it's called Codex Craftworld. It should be known as Codex: Saimm Hann, lol.
This is where Death rejoices, as he teaches the living.

Hoc est ubi mors gaudet, quod ipse docet vivis.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #82 on: May 4, 2015, 10:50:28 AM »
Our new codex is not necessarily about the commonality of all the Eldar, since it's called Codex Craftworld. It should be known as Codex: Saimm Hann, lol.

Not even - more like Codex: Jetbike Ulthwe since even the windrider host requires a Farseer and Warlock conclave and no way to get more Vypers or windriders unless you take a second windrider host, and another Farseer and Warlocks.

Offline Nythrulas

• Armies: Ulthwe
« Reply #83 on: May 4, 2015, 10:59:06 AM »
Saim Hann is just fine.  They can take a CAD and have all jetbike troops, vyper FA and tank HS with an autarch HQ if they want... and everything gets more dakka, and is obsec.

They can purposefully leave the best model in the game, the farseer, at home if they want.

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #84 on: May 4, 2015, 11:17:35 AM »
Oh of course - I was speaking strictly in terms on the new warhost detachment. But yes, Saim-Hann is one of the best at the moment. Biel-Tan though, with the new aspect formations, is quite a lot better now too but probably less "competitive" than a jetbike list.

Offline Nythrulas

• Armies: Ulthwe
« Reply #85 on: May 4, 2015, 11:52:25 AM »
I think BS 5 Reapers could put jetbikes in their place pretty easily.

I'm a big fan of the aspect host, and think it MORE than represents Biel Tan capabilities.

Honestly, I think the jetbikes' biggest advantage is obsec in maelstrom games, which they would lose in any sort of detachment.  They're better off going CAD.

Although that Windriders host is mean.  An alpha strike of shred shuriken cannons would be tough for anyone to whether.

Offline Katamari Damacy

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Eldar Empire, Dwarfs
« Reply #86 on: May 4, 2015, 01:02:11 PM »
Hey guys, just a quick question, because I'm not familiar with the current FOC rules.

If I'd take:
1 Farseer
10 Giardians
10 Rangers
1 Wraithknight

our something like that and call it my main army, Could I then add an Aspect Host from the formations and have them benefit from their formation bonus? Furthermore, could i add other Formations from other books (i.E. Quins) or are there limitations of some sort? I hope this is not considered rules begging, I just need to know for further planning. Thanks in advance.
The word 'politics' is derived from the word 'poly', meaning 'many', and the word 'ticks', meaning 'blood sucking parasites'.

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #87 on: May 4, 2015, 01:14:32 PM »
You could make an army, of nothing but just the formations, have a legal army, and all formation get their respective formation bonuses.

The CAD you listed, doesn't even need to be the "main" detachment - any formation can also be your main detachment as long as it contains your warlord.
« Last Edit: May 4, 2015, 01:16:55 PM by Partninja »

Offline Katamari Damacy

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #88 on: May 4, 2015, 01:17:16 PM »
Wow, that's pretty crazy then :O

But let's say I totally want a WK without playing the Spirit Warrior Host, then I would have to field an army like we used to in 6th with a HQ and two Troops and then I could add the Wraithknight as a single whatever-this-category is called (the same that the Avatar goes in now)?
« Last Edit: May 4, 2015, 01:19:11 PM by Katamari Damacy »
The word 'politics' is derived from the word 'poly', meaning 'many', and the word 'ticks', meaning 'blood sucking parasites'.

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #89 on: May 4, 2015, 01:21:36 PM »
Correct, 1HQ and 2X troops in the min for a CAD. This would allow you to take one Lord of War (Wraith Knight). Then you can also take formations in addition to that (like an Aspect host). If you wanted to take more than one Wraith Knight, you would have to take the a Guardian/Windrider warhost to gain access to the auxiliary 1-12 Knight/Lord/wraithfighter.

Offline Katamari Damacy

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #90 on: May 4, 2015, 01:28:39 PM »
Oh well, I didn't even see the option to pick single Wraith constructs. I guess that puts the book in an entirely new category of raw awesomenes  ;D. I certainly thank you sincierly for the clarification!
« Last Edit: May 4, 2015, 01:29:42 PM by Katamari Damacy »

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #91 on: May 4, 2015, 01:38:39 PM »
Note - There are two "Wraith" options. The Wraithhost is a formation (3xWG, 1X lord, 1x knight). Then there is a "wraith constructs" auxiliary option that is 1-12 Knight/Lord/fighter. A lot of people are getting confused since the Wraith host is a formation, that you can take alone while the Wraith construct option is specific to using an Eldar warhost. 

Offline haunt

• Aspect Warrior | I Won the Eldar Army List Competition, and All I Got Was This Title!
  • Play and have fun.
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angel, Tyranids, Necrons and Tau
« Reply #92 on: May 4, 2015, 03:49:21 PM »
So let me understand this properly..  :-\

1- I can use a Wraith Formation, and take the Aux Unit?

or

2- I can take a Wraith Formation then add  a Core Host + Aux Unit (1-2) per Core?

or

3- Am I confusing myself? Lol.
This is where Death rejoices, as he teaches the living.

Hoc est ubi mors gaudet, quod ipse docet vivis.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat

Offline Grizzlykin

• Run little eldar, run! ... And KILL THEM ALL !
  • Armies: Eldars, Tau, Necrons
« Reply #93 on: May 4, 2015, 04:01:00 PM »
3^^

let me explain this.

when you go for a warhost formation, you take one guardian host formation, be it wind rider defender or storm.

From there you can take 1-12 formations that are listed in the host as auxiliar one. There fore you may choose the wraith ost wich is spirit seer&Co or you can just take the wraith contruct auxiliar choice that allow you to take a wratiknight solo for example.
Doing so will grant you the warhost bonus being match less agilty. and you will be legal as an eldar warhost.

other option is running a simple CAD that will normal requirement  1 hq 2 troops and had things you want but keep in mind that the wraithknight is now lord of war so only one per CAD. You can complement the CAD with any of the formation in the eldar book as additionnal content, you can for exemple field a CAD (with a wraithknight inside) and a wraith host, wich allow you to legaly field 2 wraithknight as they are both in diferrent formation (cad and wraith host).

Did that help?

If someone see a mistake correct me.
The Grizzly's Arvandor Craftworld!

Quote from: Cavalier
ALL HAIL THE TORNADO! The legend is REBORN.

Quote from: Alienscar
The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member

Offline Wonko the Sane

• Armies: Imperial Guard, Eldar
« Reply #94 on: May 4, 2015, 08:30:46 PM »
Note also that, if my interpretation is correct (given my track record in this thread, perhaps unlikely) a CAD can take the Wraith Host, but not the Wraith-Constructs auxiliary option.

Wraith-Constructs is the an auxiliary option for the Craftworld Host, but there's no datasheet for the formation in the codex. Same with the Engines of Vaul.

Am I right on that?

If so it really does limit wraithknight spam unless you take the Craftworld Warhost.
-IG w/d/l (since 15th December, 2007): 26/8/6
Last Game: 4,000 point draw in Apocalypse

Offline Grizzlykin

« Reply #95 on: May 4, 2015, 08:38:32 PM »
you are right. but you can take a wraith knight as a lord of war in the cad and take one in the wraith host, and one more if you take one other wraith host if i'm not mistaking but it's starting to be a hell lot of points.

The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #96 on: May 4, 2015, 10:48:40 PM »
you are right. but you can take a wraith knight as a lord of war in the cad and take one in the wraith host, and one more if you take one other wraith host if i'm not mistaking but it's starting to be a hell lot of points.
Note also that, if my interpretation is correct (given my track record in this thread, perhaps unlikely) a CAD can take the Wraith Host, but not the Wraith-Constructs auxiliary option.

Wraith-Constructs is the an auxiliary option for the Craftworld Host, but there's no datasheet for the formation in the codex. Same with the Engines of Vaul.

Am I right on that?

If so it really does limit wraithknight spam unless you take the Craftworld Warhost.

These are correct.

So let me understand this properly..  :-\

1- I can use a Wraith Formation, and take the Aux Unit?

or

2- I can take a Wraith Formation then add  a Core Host + Aux Unit (1-2) per Core?

or

3- Am I confusing myself? Lol.

You're confusing youtself. It's ok, we were all confused at first. CADs, formations, and detachments are all stand alone blocks of an army. They can be taken in a mix or by themselves.

Warhosts, or like the Necron Decurion are a special form of building an army. They are basically made up of formations with further restrictions. Some formation like the aspect host, crimson death, avenger shrine, wraith host etc are formations with their own datasheats. So these can all be taken on their own. The auxiliary options, like the wraith constructs, or rangers, or the heavy tanks ones are NOT formations. They do not have datasheats. They are simply auxiliary options available only to the "core" Guardian/windrider hosts. So the formations (aspect/avenger/wraith host) do not offer the warhost auxiliary options, only the Guardian/windrider host.

Hope that made sense. It's easier to explain when looking at the same chart.

Offline Grizzlykin

« Reply #97 on: May 4, 2015, 11:00:52 PM »

i just noticed this, Engines of vaul are just the name of the auxiliary things, if you look at the page of your tank you actually can take up to 3 falcon / fire prism /  night spinner and still get the bonus from the squadron those are in, the choice option is not in the formation slot that's all.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #98 on: May 5, 2015, 01:19:40 AM »
Biel-Tan though, with the new aspect formations, is quite a lot better now too but probably less "competitive" than a jetbike list.

I think BS 5 Reapers could put jetbikes in their place pretty easily.

Sounds like you two should hit the battlefield and give us a battel report.. Best 2/3? :D

Offline mikesusername

« Reply #99 on: May 5, 2015, 09:29:38 AM »
Something i noticed yesterday while perusing our new codex.

We now have drop pods... And by drop pods i mean falcons.  They can apparently deepstrike very reliably.  this should be noteworthy considering each can hold a unit of firedragons... who have battle focus...  now im not sure if they can disembark after a deep strike, but either way thats seems unpleasant.

the other thing that im noticing is the bonus to running from the big formation

this means, you're garunteed to be in range, with guardians, of anything within 24 inches of your initial deployment.  with direavengers you have an effective range of 30 inches.  im sorry, with our aspect host dire avengers you have an effective range of 30 inches...  aside from the killing potential the eldar can be sitting on every objective effectively turn 1.  and on any midfield objective by turn 1 or 2 with a trump unit.

Removed several copyright issues.  Please refer to our Forum Rules for future reference.  --- GML
« Last Edit: May 5, 2015, 12:11:17 PM by Grand Master Lomandalis »