News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Iyanden Wraithlist painting blog + modelling questions.  (Read 46275 times)

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
Re: Iyanden Wraithlist painting blog + modelling questions.
« Reply #80 on: April 19, 2015, 01:16:34 AM »
I like the box, great idea. Sword, same here. Maybe another piece with a long box.

The knight will look very dynamic, can't wait to see it put together.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
  • Armies: Tyranids, Lamenters (BA), Eldar (Iyanden), 1k Sons
« Reply #81 on: April 22, 2015, 06:08:33 AM »
So, there were a few issues getting the wraithknight like in the sketch I made.

The problem was something I've noticed ever since I've been working on the wraith army: it's so easy to lose sense of scale. And while the fountain is easily as high as a normal eldar, even including a somewhat scenic base, it's not nearly as high as I made it out to be in the sketch.
The second problem with scale was that the base isn't nearly as wide as I expected it to be (relative to the knight), so it couldn't very well lean up to the fountain and still have the fountain on the base. So with some creative tinkering I eventually ended up with the current solution.

Next to the complete reposing of both legs, I have also added some other small conversions already. I removed the struts at the hipjoints. I felt they looked more like imperial tech than eldar.
I also immediately got put off as I was fitting the exhausts at the front/side of the chest, as I felt they disturbed the neat lines of the model too much. In the end I shortened them a bit (probably no more than 2-3mm, best I could do), and flattened them a bit.

The base is still being worked on, it's just finished enough for me to glue the knight onto, and that helps a lot with getting a feel for where it sits in its own frame. I still think it's a bit too far to the side, but once again, it was the best I could do considering the space limitations.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 06:14:36 AM by vonny »
check out my Iyanden painting blog.

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #82 on: April 22, 2015, 07:21:24 AM »
Looking great Vonny. I know what you mean about space limitations... that base gets cluttered quick! But I think what you've got looks awesome. Its gonna look great alongside your other models. Also I really love what you did with the legs... it really narrows the model at the hips streamlining the model quite a bit. Really an outstanding alteration

My only crit... and this is something I face when posing the Revenant I was working on... is getting the angle of the uplifted leg on the fountain right. I know you're still fiddling with it but it looks likes its pushing off the fountain instead of resting atop it. I think if the knight was facing the fountain (or at least his hips were swiveled in that direction) the pose would be a bit more spot on. However I know this is a WIP so its hard to really see the final product. But anyway it looks great I can't wait to see the final product!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
« Reply #83 on: April 22, 2015, 08:53:10 AM »
don't worry cavalier. That's exactly the kind of feedback I'm looking for. It helps me look at the project with new eyes, and see things  I may have missed.

I know what you mean with the angle fo the foot. I don't want it fully standing on the fountain though, as that would remove a lot of the dynamism in the model. I think the pictures as they are also exxagerate the problem a bit, so for now I'm going to keep it as is and keep working. (also, if I move the foot a lot it actually moves to the other side of the fountain due to space constraints, and this makes it look as if the knight is stepping over the fountain. I tried this as well and it looks really... weird and static)

The narrow streamlined feel of the model is something I like as well. Together with the twist in the waist it makes it look really sleek, almost feminine. I hope this vibe stays when I put on the extra stuff such as the warpvanes on the back, the knees and the armour shielding on the hips and groin.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 08:54:12 AM by vonny »

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #84 on: April 22, 2015, 10:58:23 AM »
WIP shots are always difficult to comment on as I find that once the model is finished and painted it always looks different.

I must admit though that I tend to agree with Cavalier. The pose at the moment makes it look like that the Knight has got its foot stuck in the fountain rather than stepping over it. This is mostly due to the angle of the leg and the twist of the torso and head. If the head and torso were to be turned at the same angle I think the pose might look more natural. All this might change though when all the missing items are in place.

I totally agree with you about the sleek look and I hope the finished model manages to retain some of this.
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Grizzlykin

• Run little eldar, run! ... And KILL THEM ALL !
  • Armies: Eldars, Tau, Necrons
« Reply #85 on: April 22, 2015, 01:37:13 PM »
i will have to agree with these guy's aswell i does not give the same vib as on your drawing.  if you wnated to keep the pose dynamique, while turning your wraith knight, i might have an idea.  you put the leg as if he is walking on the fontaine.  that if you stay as is right know would make him static. But if you push the wraithknight forward and when i say forward i mean you extend the back leg and get the talon of the floor if nesseçary, puting his head over the knee really like if he was posing a foot on a rock the elbow on the knees while looking at the scenary. You don't put the elbow on the leg of course but you have to at least make him lean forward as if stepping on the fontain realy. i think that would keep it dynamic. the other option is to actually make the fontain bigger and put the leg a bit more on it, while looking on the opposite side it's actually looking .  might make for some nice pose. as if he where taking a step on the fontain to jump as fast as possible in the other direction.

Well that was some idea for the pose. reagrding the slick look i like it aswell it gives it a very gentle feeling like a woment as you said earlier, i like it :D keep up the good work^^
The Grizzly's Arvandor Craftworld!

ALL HAIL THE TORNADO! The legend is REBORN.

Quote from: Alienscar
The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
« Reply #86 on: April 24, 2015, 03:47:28 PM »
so, here's 4 pictures in one.

First one (top left) was of me celebrating getting the arm magnetized the way I wanted it. It's all rather bare bones still at the moment, but I think it'll give a good idea of the general eventual shape.

The next three pictures were after I broke off the foot to reposition it - I think you guys may have been right about it's pose being off, so I'm wondering if you like the new positioning better.

As an extra: the way I modelled it now, the shoulders aren't nearly as wide as on the 'original' model. Furthermore, I made the gun sit under the arm instead of on the side, further slimming it down. I'm really thinking that the shoulder plates as they are supplied are waaaay oversized for how this one looks now, and am considering leaving them off entirely. That would, however, break quite a bit with the eldar aesthetic. Any opinions on that, or ideas on slimming the plates down?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 03:49:32 PM by vonny »

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #87 on: April 24, 2015, 04:58:44 PM »
I like it better, the foot that is. As for the plates, it's realy hard to tell from these pics, maybe take one more from the center of the hips so we can see that side better. Also maybe tac the plate in place so we can make a better look at it. It's really looking good, wish I had tackled re posing one of mine.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #88 on: April 24, 2015, 05:02:19 PM »
I love it! Absolutley killer pose Vonny... it looks so imposing and arrogant. Love the positioning of the arm too. As far as I'm concerned you've nailed it. 

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
« Reply #89 on: April 24, 2015, 05:04:12 PM »
I love it! Absolutley killer pose Vonny... it looks so imposing and arrogant. Love the positioning of the arm too. As far as I'm concerned you've nailed it.

I second this with gusto.  :D

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
« Reply #90 on: April 24, 2015, 05:51:42 PM »
so the foot's new position is better? Or is it just the arm that makes it come to life?

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #91 on: April 24, 2015, 09:11:31 PM »
Yeah the positioning on the leg is perfect. The angle on the body and the arm is the icing on the cake. The whole body is perfectly aligned... and I gotta say what you did with the hips is enables the entire thing. Bravo Vonny :)

Offline Grizzlykin

« Reply #92 on: April 25, 2015, 07:08:54 PM »
Yeah the positioning on the leg is perfect. The angle on the body and the arm is the icing on the cake. The whole body is perfectly aligned... and I gotta say what you did with the hips is enables the entire thing. Bravo Vonny :)

I double this

The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
« Reply #93 on: May 5, 2015, 04:19:28 AM »
well, this is how she stands at the moment. While the shoulder pads wouldn't be too oversized, I am now kind of forced to change them up as they don't fit over the right arm anymore, and I like its positioning too much to change that up.

As I'm currently out of inspiration on how to proceed with the knight, I guess I'll have it stand on my desk while I continue on with the tyranid project. I hadn't quite finished that yet ;)

Offline Grizzlykin

« Reply #94 on: May 5, 2015, 04:53:31 AM »
Huuuu nice! Not much i can tell about what to do with it, But the finished posing is great and the absense of shoulder pad make for a very slender look i like it a lot :) keep at it ^^

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #95 on: May 5, 2015, 06:38:40 AM »
I wouldn't worry. Can you mount the shoulder pad on the arm as opposed to where the shoulder meets the neck? I think that would look fine (and would eliminate worrying about the shoulder pad popping off when taking the arms off for transport (if you magnetized).

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
« Reply #96 on: May 5, 2015, 11:11:04 AM »
@cavalier: I did magnetize - but not for transport, but to be able to switch arms out. This also means I will have 2 more arms to build, and since I have only enough shoulder pads for one set of arms that won't work.

@grizzlykin: hah, thanks :) great to see your reaction. I'm really happy with the pose too, and the absence of shoulder pads does give the model a nice and slender look. But so far, all the eldar models I have worked on do have those shoulder pads, so I think it would be a weird 'design' choice to leave them off here. (yes, I did think that up after I posted about leaving them off last time)

Offline Battlekai

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #97 on: June 1, 2015, 01:28:35 AM »
Awesome army mate.

Mind giving a quick run down on how you painted them?

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
« Reply #98 on: June 1, 2015, 04:41:32 AM »
I sure can.

Basically I spray them black. Then I spray them white. (I've found with gw undercoat sprays, the white sticks better and has a way more even distribution if you spray the black first).
Everything that will end up yellow or bone gets an application of seraphim sepia (a sepia colored shade/wash, obviously). I will then liberally drybrush this back to white. This is to get the shade in, but not make it too harsh or dark. Everything that needs to be yellow then gets a coat of lamenter yellow (a glaze).
All the parts that go blue then get painted black first, then... what is it? Macragge blue? used to be mordian blue. Then I'll mix some old ice blue (no idea what the color is now) with plenty of glazing medium (I got vallejo's, but I'm sure now that GW has brought it out, that works too) and apply that to where I want a blue highlight. I clean up my brush, and 'draw it out', as it were, to make a more smooth transition between the dark and light blue. This also gets the ghostly or ethereal quality that it seems to have.
Anything that's black gets painted black, obviously. Highlighted with a bit of hawk turqoise (again, no idea what the current name for that color is), which I also apply on gems, the bases, and on any area that needs to look as if it's alight (such as the muzzle of the d-scythes). I also use this color for the blades, where I sometimes apply a bit of white as well to make the transition a bit smoother.

I hope this answers your question. It's a rather simple scheme, and I like it that way. I spend more time building than painting most models.

update for everyone else: Currently I'm working on the hands of my wraithknight (as those hyper-extended fingers aren't what I want), after that it's building the shoulder-mounted secondary weapons and prettying up the base, figuring out what I want with her lower back and perhaps adding in some of the wraithlord's banners and things. The model on its own would be the only one without any form of cloth on it, and I thought that'd be weird.

anyway, pictures to come soon!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #99 on: June 1, 2015, 07:01:57 AM »
Can't wait, she's a beauty! Gah I really wish I had done more with my Wraithknight. I want to get a 2nd one for big apocalypse games and I'm gonna go crazy painting and modeling it like you did. Total inspiration Vonny can't wait to see her