News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Validity Of Taking Ogyrns/Bulgyrns against the AdMech  (Read 2501 times)

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
Validity Of Taking Ogyrns/Bulgyrns against the AdMech
« on: March 26, 2016, 07:53:18 PM »
It's exactly what the title says.  As horribly overpriced as they are, might Ogyrns do any good against the Adeptus Mechanicus if you can get them into range to do something?

Potential targets that I would be comfortable sending them against are Skittarii Vanguard and Rangers, Kataphrons and even Electropriests. 

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
Re: Validity Of Taking Ogyrns/Bulgyrns against the AdMech
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2016, 09:51:12 PM »
Hrrmmm...

Not sure. The Ogryns' durability comes from toughness and wounds, and the Skitarii have a lot of ways around those two problems. Vanguard in particular.

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2016, 10:30:22 PM »
Well, Ogryns are best at beating up poor save infantry, Like Orks, or Little 'Nids. I don't follow the AdMech, no one I know plays them, but a good 150 points of infantry probably beat out whatever you'd be doing with Ogryns.

Ogryns are still amphetamine parrotty, no matter what situation. ;)

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2016, 04:58:30 AM »
I knew it.  See, Ogyrns aren't that tough or even that good in assault and yet they cost an arm and a leg.  The Vanguards Radium weaponry will shred them in the shooting phase and the radiation effect will really hinder them in assault too.  I think that realistically, a squad of Ogyrns could only really take on Skitarii Rangers in close combat, and I unfortunately for me I actually advised my opponent against taking those. :P

I would have liked to have taken them.  I like the models and their fluff, and the idea of my army resorting to abhumans and pyskers against the cyborgs.  What a shame.

In terms of the rules, I think Ogyrns are more or less fine as they are.  They're just massively overpriced.  Seriously, they need like a 40-50% reduction in cost.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 09:37:51 AM by Captain Calamity »

Offline khaine

• This happens when I am bored.
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Truly Dread
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2016, 11:20:10 AM »
I think that realistically, a squad of Ogyrns could only really take on Skitarii Rangers in close combat, and I unfortunately for me I actually advised my opponent against taking those. :P

You advised your opponent not to take one of the best shooting troop options in the game?   :o

You mentioned going Ogryn vs Electro-Priests, going against Fulgurites would be madness as their highish Strength and ability to cause Instant Death pretty much negates everything Ogryns have going for them. You could find Ogryns handy for charging down Heavy Grav cannon units where their lowish save would be an advantage...

Bulgryns on the other hand may have a place. Mechanicus forces have a fair range of AP4 weapons so the Slab-shield bonus would help (and you could even drop the bonus for advancing on Grav Weapons)plus the Gauntlets are handy for racking up hits on tightly packed units in cover (And with Shrouded+Stealth it's not uncommon for AM players to dig into any cover available). They're tough enough that few things will cause instant death on them and have a good enough save to hold up against mass small arms fire (Not that Mechanicus have many "small" arms...)

There's no stopping what can't be stopped, no killing what can't be killed

You can't see the eyes of the demon until him come calling.

This is dread man, truly dread.

"Childhood is when you idolize Batman. Adulthood is when you realize that the Joker makes more sense."

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2016, 11:44:39 AM »
You advised your opponent not to take one of the best shooting troop options in the game?   :o

I advised that he take Vanguard over Rangers because they can fire more shots than them whist still being able to launch an assault.  I know that Rangers are still very dangerous though, and I did say that it's best to take a mixture of both.  It's just that I think Vanguard kill guard better overall.

Bulgyrns do sound more promising, but I would always feel like I should have brought some thing cheaper.  And see how Ogyrns can't fight against real melee units?  We have it really bad here. :P
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 11:45:53 AM by Captain Calamity »

Offline khaine

• This happens when I am bored.
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Truly Dread
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2016, 04:57:58 PM »
I advised that he take Vanguard over Rangers because they can fire more shots than them whist still being able to launch an assault. 

They can both shoot and then assault, only trade off is strength and precision vs the extra shot and (possible) extra wounds, but the extra shot is normaly balanced out by the Rangers being able to fire sooner and for longer.

Saying Ogryns can't take on assault units is a little unfair as they do fair reasonably well against an enemy that can't instant kill them and isn't wearing power armour (Of the 2 the second tends to be more of an issue and something that Renagade Ogryns cope with better from their access to power weapons.) But they are over priced to be included in a jack of all trades list and priced to close to the Bulgryns given the advantages they have from the heavier armour.

There's no stopping what can't be stopped, no killing what can't be killed

You can't see the eyes of the demon until him come calling.

This is dread man, truly dread.

"Childhood is when you idolize Batman. Adulthood is when you realize that the Joker makes more sense."

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2016, 07:34:49 PM »
Oh my god I give my friend some really bad advice because I forgot Skitarii had...that rule.  :o

I better correct that asap.