News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Age of Sigmar Firestorm Campaign coverage.  (Read 1591 times)

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
Age of Sigmar Firestorm Campaign coverage.
« on: December 17, 2017, 10:34:29 PM »
For millennia armies have battled for control of the region known as the Flamescar Plateau, seeking to unearth its priceless treasures and hidden relics. Here lies a weapon of supreme destructive power, sought by armies from across the Mortal Realms. Whoever can harness its might will be gifted the power to utterly destroy their enemies. Yet claiming dominion over this war-torn land will be no simple task...

At my local store, we are all either starting with Age of Sigmar, or starting new forces, so we are collectively playing in a Firestorm campaign while we build our armies.

For those who don't know, Firestorm is a phenomenal map based campaign system, based on dominating the Flamescar Plateau.

One of the biggest features (amongst other things), is the way you build your army. Each player has their own little enverlope they keep their cards in. You have what are called 'Muster Cards', each player starts with the same core cards, and can buy new cards, and also upgrade some with the use of 'build points' you can gain during the campaign. Build points are also used to fortify territories on the board.

Muster cards give you 'muster points', each point is 100pts, or 10 wounds (depending if you want to use points, or wounds to build armies). Game can be miss-matched based on which cards you draw, especially when you start upgrading them.

There are four of us Participating.

Me - Flesh Eater Courts, base in the Magebane Dungeons (purple)

Jared - Blades of Khorne, base in the Parching Waste (red)

Johnny - Stormcasts, Base in the Coast of Ill-Omen (blue)

Donnie - Iron Jaws, Base in the Searing Sea (green)

Each player picks a starting territory and you're off to the races.

We are currently between rounds 2 and 3, so I'll catch up on the events so far.

Round 1

The war for the Flamescar Plateau began quickly, with scouting forces of the factions vying over territories to the South-West. The Iron Jaws and Stormcasts battled over the Razorfang Sprall, while the Flesh Eater Courts fought over the Tears of Fate.

Donnie had a rough game agaisnt John's Stormcasts, mostly due to him being a bit too bold in sending out his Gore-Grunta's without support right away, to be chewed up by Retribtor Palidans. The rest of his force arrived peicemeal, after being softened up by a Dracoth's storm breath, and lighting cast from the Lord Relictor.

Stormcasts claim the Razorfang Sprawl.

In the Tears of Fate, We played a mission in which the Flesh eaters were surrounded by the forces of Khorne. The mission had each player owning three objectives, their opponent needed to destroy to win. My left flank had an objective controled only by a 5 man squad of Blood Reavers, who were cleared out by  pack of shreiking Crypt Flayers, while my right flank decended into a desperate brawl. After the blades of Khorne had a double turn, my Terrogiets was brought down to a single wound, but He was able to heal after fleeing combat, and by the time the Crypt Flayers made it back across the table, I was able to pull out a win by destroying the last Khorne objective turn 5.

Flesh Eaters had a grand feast, in honour of their King, Lord Moash, to celebrate the conqouring of the Tear of Fate.

At the end of the round, I spent my build points to upgrade one of my muster cards, and to fortify the Tears of Fate.

The Stormcasts also fortified the Razorfang Sprawl.

Round 2

King Moash set his sights for the mountainous regions (where the relics can be found), although his rivals also had the same idea.

At the beginning of the round, the Stormcasts, capture the Titan Works, without a fight, while the Blades of Khorne, secure the Plains of Blood, the same way.

The Iron Jaws, and myself were not so lucky. We immediatly butted heads over the Eyes of Prismatikon, while the Stormcasts, tie the forces of Khorne down on the Infinity Gears.

Both the Iron Jaws and I draw 11 muster points, so we play a 1100pt game, with the victory condition being based on wounds of models killed.

The first few turns we played very cagey. The terrain was very dense which created a lot of choke points and stopped a lot of mobility. I held the center with the Ghouls, while the Terrogeist and the Crypt Flayers, rushed up to start shreiking the Iron Jaws Brutes.

In the end, the shreiks did a great job on the low leadership orcs, just rupturing orks left and right. The Terrogiest was crippeled by the stomping of Gork (or maybe Mork's) foot, from a spell cast by the Iron Jaws Shaman. Gore Gruntas and the Cypt Ghouls clawed at each other all game, peeling way two squads of ghouls, who killed two Gore-Gruntas.

In the end, the eventual arrival of the Crypt Horrors, and the constant shrieking of the Flayers and Terrogiest won me the game.

Johnny, and Jared, played a bonkers game. They started by deploying 3" from each other, and their game was over very quickly, but a victory for the Stormcasts. Johnny used his new Judicators for the first time, and really liked them. He also enjoyed charging into a unit of 40 Blood Reavers turn 1, killing 17, and watching most of the rest of the unit crumble from battleshock lol.

At the end of the round, I gained the relic for controlling the Prismatikon, which is a death ray I can fire once a game (to do a possble 2d6 mortal wounds on a unit...muah ha ha). And I fortified that territory too.

Stormcasts can now control where the Realm Gate moves, due to controlling the Infinity Gears.

Round 3

We drew the parrings for Round 3 before calling it a night, and will be playing on Thursday. There was a few more auto-captures this round. I snuck into the Caverns of Fulminex, while Khorne gained the Lava Springs, Stormcasts captured the Wyrdflame Crest, and Iron Jaws captured the Valley of Gods.

Unfortunatly for Donnie, The forced of Khorne attacked the Valley of Gods, while I attacked the Infinity Gears.

Because Johnny is defending a fortified territory, he drew an extra muster card, so he'll have 1200pts, agaisnt 1000pts of ghouls. I don't remember what the muster points Donnie, and Jared drew. Donnie however, had a pretty big amphetamine parrot eating grin on his face, when he drew his +8 muster point upgrade card lol.

I'll let you folks know how we fair after our games Thursday. Right now, I'm furiosly trying to figure out how I'll make a list while I'm 200pts down, and furiously painting ghouls!

Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria