News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 2000 pts Alaitoc Brigade w/3 Fire Prisms, 20 Dark Reapers  (Read 1301 times)

Offline The Mattler

• Armies: Eldar
2000 pts Alaitoc Brigade w/3 Fire Prisms, 20 Dark Reapers
« on: November 18, 2017, 06:21:48 PM »
I recently watched a couple of 2000 pts games on the Warp Charged Gaming channel on YouTube, in which the Aeldari player struggled against Chaos lists featuring Obliterators, Brimstone Horrors, Malefic Lords, and Alpha Legion Khorne Berserkers, plus some combination of Daemon Princes and Magnus/Abaddon (depending on the game).  So, I tried to think of an Aeldari list that should grind such a Chaos list into dust. Here goes...

ALAITOC BRIGADE
Farseer w/Doom, Guide, Faolchu's Wing (Warlord: Seer of the Shifting Vector)
Spiritseer w/Protect/Jinx
Spiritseer w/Conceal/Reveal
5 Rangers
5 Rangers
5 Rangers
5 Rangers
5 Rangers
5 Rangers
5 Howling Banshees w/Exarch, Executioner
5 Swooping Hawks w/Exarch, Hawk's Talon
10 Dark Reapers w/Exarch, Tempest Launcher
10 Dark Reapers w/Exarch, Tempest Launcher
Fire Prism w/Crystal Targeting Matrix
Fire Prism w/Crystal Targeting Matrix
Fire Prism

101 PL
1998 pts
12 CP

The idea is simple: leave no room for enemy reinforcements, then use long ranged firepower to rip apart anything that wanders into line of sight. 

Obviously, the Prisms and Reapers (accompanied by the Farseer) are the back line.  You can protect either the Prisms or the Reapers with Cloudstrike or Webway Strike as desired.  There's a case to be made for leaving the Reapers on the table near the Farseer during deployment if your opponent has threatening reinforcements, then use Forewarned on the Reapers to vaporize one such unit as it is set up (even works on Alpha Legion Forward Operatives AFAIK).  I chose Faolchu's Wing over the Shiftshroud of Alanssair specifically because I wanted to preserve my ability to use Forewarned ASAP; extra shots with a full squad of Reapers is too strong to pass up.  Between the Reapers and the Prisms, there's nothing you can't kill in one turn, especially with Linked Fire.  Don't be afraid to move your Reapers and Prisms to claim objectives, since the former suffer no hit modifiers and two of the latter have CTMs.  Just be mindful of enemy reinforcements that might drop into any gaps you make in your denial network.

The Banshees and Spiritseers form a small mop-up/spearhead in the midfield.  Their job is to finish off any weakened units that aren't worth shooting anymore, and to tie up big/fast threats for a turn if you just don't have time to deal with them at the moment.  If an enemy unit is a particularly tough nut to crack, the Spiritseers can either Smite it or lower its saves, but in the first turn or two they will probably be focused on keeping your Dark Reapers alive.

The Rangers are mainly for extending your reinforcement denial network well into the midfield, but they're great for camping objectives anywhere on the table.  Since there are 30 of them, they're also a reliable means of picking off irritating support characters, especially The Changeling, making your primary damage dealers much more effective.

This list has amazing weaponry, but it could use more efficiency against particularly numerous and squishy targets (especially Brimstones with their invulnerable saves!), and Hawks provide that efficiency with both their Grenade Packs and their Lasblasters.  The Hawks are also excellent for grabbing distant objectives once nearby enemy units get reduced to ash and mist by your heavy firepower.

I'm glad I was able to squeeze the list into a Brigade because it's going to be using a lot of CPs.  Even if you don't use Cloudstrike, Webway Strike, or Phantasm, you can easily burn all of your CP by Turn 2 on some combination of Forewarned, Linked Fire, Lightning Fast Reactions, and maybe even Runes of Witnessing and Pathfinders.  Don't do that!  You have a redundant Fire Prism, so try to save Lightning Fast Reactions for your Reapers, use Linked Fire each turn, and try to use Forewarned to get extra shots on the units most likely to threaten your ranged firepower (especially Slaanesh Obliterators if they can drop close enough).  Remember, you have Banshees, Hawks, and Spiritseers as a rapid response to threats, plus a lot of dispersed, small units that you won't miss if several of them die.  If you consistently address the threats to your Reapers and Prisms, you should win the war of attrition easily and still have enough units when it comes to claiming objectives.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 08:59:37 PM by The Mattler »
Shuriken weaponry is the pinnacle of antiSpocklizardry in 40k.

Offline Fenris

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Aeldari
Re: 2000 pts Alaitoc Brigade
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2017, 06:43:05 PM »
Intresting list, I think it would do well against that list, which I think I saw on youtube yesterday. A lot of target priority errors was made from the eldar player.

Have you considered taking scorpions over banshees? They can drop down all over the board, and then deal mortal wounds to great effect.

Another suggestion would be an Autarch buffing reapers, also gives you CP recycling.
Ego in propria persona, non compos mentis.

Offline The Mattler

• Armies: Eldar
Re: 2000 pts Alaitoc Brigade
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2017, 07:43:42 PM »
Intresting list, I think it would do well against that list, which I think I saw on youtube yesterday. A lot of target priority errors was made from the eldar player.

Have you considered taking scorpions over banshees? They can drop down all over the board, and then deal mortal wounds to great effect.

Another suggestion would be an Autarch buffing reapers, also gives you CP recycling.
I would have liked to use Scorpions, but they end up being too expensive to squeeze into the Brigade with the maxed-out Reapers and Prisms.  Similarly, I agree that an Autarch would be pretty sweet to scrounge a couple more CP an get passive buffs.  The problem is that Forewarned requires a Farseer, and almost everything else is really tight.  However, it's possible to swap one of the Spiritseers for an Autarch if I drop a Reaper; I'm TWO POINTS away from stripping off the Exarch gear (except Tempest Launchers) and CTMs to make that same swap.  Stupid Star Glaive...  Come to think of it, I could do it if I downgraded the second Spiritseer to Warlock, and I wouldn't have to drop a Reaper in that case.  I hate Warlocks in the Codex, but it would also open up using Seer Council in the critical early game.  Perhaps it's worth considering.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 09:01:04 PM by The Mattler »
Shuriken weaponry is the pinnacle of antiSpocklizardry in 40k.