News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Changing my playstyle for 750pts.  (Read 685 times)

Offline RandomGuardsman

• Kampfgruppe RipperJacks!
Changing my playstyle for 750pts.
« on: January 16, 2012, 05:16:59 PM »
  I normally go for footslogging infantry, and favor non-blobbed platoons backed up by some armored elements. I decided to make a Mech list and try to fit in all of my armor (sadly only one Russ got used :() just to try something new so here goes.

CCS
     GLx3
     Flamer
   Chimera
     Hull HF            125pts.

Vet Squad x2
     GLx2
     Flamer
   Chimera
     Hull HF            280pts.

A. Sentinels x3   ---

Leman Russ       ---

This leaves me at 30 points extra and I am still deciding on how to use them. I wanted everything in armor to use up my 3 chimeras as well as my sentinels.
I was thinking of swapping the Sentinels main gun to Missile Launchers for hounding vehicles as they are not bad at wolfpack tactics.
I also thought about  putting stormbolters on the chimeras to add more shots to the mix.
Possibly put HB sponsons on the Russ and a Stormbolter, or I could add ACs to the Sentinels and put a bolt pistol in each squad.
Or even ACs on the sentinels and stormbolter on the Russ.
Those are just a few of my ideas on how to use the points.

I know that in most cases you do not mix Special weapons in squads but I tossed in the single flamers to each squad paired up with the HF on the chimera to help deter enemy assault on the vehicles and allow each vehicle to fill both light armor and anti-infantry rolls.

So what do you guys think? Thanks in advance.  8)
Mercenaries never die! They go to hell to regroup!

Offline felixander

• Armies: Eldar, Imperial Guard, Orks
Re: Changing my playstyle for 750pts.
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 05:30:25 PM »
What opponents do you usually play? I would highly recommend Stubbers over Stormbolters. The extra shot is good and the extra 12" in range makes it pretty useful if you wanna use sponsons and stay still. So you loose 1 AP but get an extra shot and 12" distance? Sounds good to me!
3000 Eldar
3000 Imperial Guard
1500 Orks

Offline crew4man

• I say, would anyone care for a scone?
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 05:35:58 PM »
Felix is quite correct in that Storm bolters < heavy stubbers.

I really, really, really, really, really, really think you should not mix the template weapons. With a flamer, you'll need to go outside the chimera for maximum effect. But, with just GLs inside, you can move and kite enemy units with impuny-you never need to get that close. And if you do, heavy flamer works better. Note you can cap objectives while in a chimera. There's just not a good reason for it. 12 Grenade launchers are going to do damage at several ranges. Flamers are good when you're next to the opponent.

For that purpose, I suggest giving all chimeras a heavy stubber.
Victory- a delicious recipe of timing, confidence, audacity, intelligence... and having more warm bodies than the other guy.

Offline felixander

• Armies: Eldar, Imperial Guard, Orks
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 06:14:25 PM »
If you play MEQ a lot you might wanna think about switching one of those Chimeras to Plasma guns. When you get in 12" that's 6 Plasma shots into those soon-to-be-dead Marines. I know GL are a lot cheaper and can fire their full 24" while moving but sometimes that AP 2 is invaluable!

Also I would suggest looking into getting some anti-tank. Once again, I don't know who you usually play against but if you go up against a MEQ army they may try to sneak in that Land Raider (or a pair of Predators) and ruin your day! I know The LRBT can break the 14 AV but it has a ~12% chance of getting a Penetrating hit on it per turn (25% for the Pred) and it'd be a game ruiner! Maybe make one Chimera Meltaguns?

And don't give the squads flamers unless the whole squad is flamers and even then ONLY if you know you're going up against Nids/Orks/Foot IG
3000 Eldar
3000 Imperial Guard
1500 Orks

Offline crew4man

• I say, would anyone care for a scone?
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 08:27:50 PM »
Me and Him just had a very long conversation in which he made his position clear, although I was unable to convince him to make his squads right.  ;)

He plays mostly eldar, but in an upcoming game he's playing a 3 way vs. a Warrior Tyrinid army. I, personally, have the benefit to know that he plays mostly non-meq to begin with. :/

Anyway, he decided on (after a rather long argument with Stubbers vs. Storm Bolters), Missile launchers for the Sentinels.

Apparently, he wants the tactical flexibility that reducing his firepower gives him with an extra flamer. Personally, I say use the heavy flamer (which is what its there for), and that way you can run around with GLS, but...

He's going to playtest it.
Victory- a delicious recipe of timing, confidence, audacity, intelligence... and having more warm bodies than the other guy.