News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: The Best a Man Can Get  (Read 3110 times)

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
The Best a Man Can Get
« on: January 17, 2019, 11:10:09 PM »
Yeah... we're going to go there!

What was everyone's thoughts on Gillette's new ad?

I know it is one of the most divisive that I have seen for a while, but I think Gillette does a great job at pointing out the issues in our society and calling on men to do what needs to be done to ensure change for the better.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
Re: The Best a Man Can Get
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2019, 11:35:04 PM »
Rather on the nose for most American adverts but warranted within the time frame allowed and subject matter. I agree with it in that we all could stand up rather than merely witness and ignore. An Australian Lieutenant General said "the standard you walk past is the standard you accept." It's true. If you do nothing then that's what you'll put up with. beslubber that.

How is it divisive?

Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2019, 03:22:28 PM »
How is it divisive?

A vast, vast number of my countrymen have sold their souls in exchange for the belief that they are better than literally everyone else and the perceived belief that they can violently deride any who disagree.

They voted for that traitorous hobgoblin currently defacing our government, they have stalked and harassed everyone from female video game developers to people who liked The Last Jedi, and there seem to be no depths to which they will not sink.

Hearteningly enough, though, it seems that Gillette has realized that these troglodytes are not a significant enough segment of the population to bother courting in the capitalist arena, so here's hoping they grow old and die out as soon as beslubbering possible.

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2019, 07:31:04 PM »
I think the Ad is brilliant. I feel it's such a good step forward to make men understand that it's not ok to be a dick. I hate that I had to type that...but it really seems as though there is a large proportion of every country that just figures they can behave how they want, when they want and to whom they want.

It's sad that being part of a bullying society, one that denigrates women, minorities, differently able people....just different people, in addition to other swathes of the community, has become the norm. It has casually become accepted that it's alright to put others down as long as they're not part of your niche.

Unfortunately, the guidance that you might have expected in the past from leaders (I'm talking community leaders, politicians, public figures etc) is absent. Indeed, more and more countries seem to be embracing far more right wing leaders that fuel the marginalisation of communities.

Put another way, Trump is a Dick, May is a Dick, Putin is a Dick...I could go on but it's too easy now to look at the countries that want to be seen as enlightened and leading the 'free world' and see that they are run by fearful demagogues that lead be inciting hate.

So well done Gillette for making a statement that it's not cool to be a dick.
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline TagniK'ZuR

• You have the right to act your shoe size
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2019, 03:30:46 PM »
After I saw all the vitriolic comments on twitter, I expected a proper "SJW" add, lambasting men for being men.
What I saw instead, was a perfectly rational, public service announcement type add, which made perfect sense to me. The only odd thing is that it comes from a razor company, but then at the end, they advertise their new website for this new initiative. And I think that is a great thing.

I honestly don't understand why people like Pierce Morgen reacted so badly, but then again, it's probably because he's the biggest numpty in England.

they have stalked and harassed everyone from female video game developers to people who liked The Last Jedi, and there seem to be no depths to which they will not sink.
Whats this about female game devs? I seem to have missed it?
Birthdays are good for you, the more you have the longer you live.

If you ignore your health long enough, it will go away.

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2019, 09:20:30 PM »
The female game dev bit was called GamerGate. It was real ugly.

Offline Blazinghand

• Warlock | Master of the Ravenwing
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Die for the Emperor or die trying!
  • Armies: Eldar, Orks
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2019, 10:51:53 PM »
I think the general attitude among my local group is that the ad is pretty inoffensive. I can see why some feel like it steps on their toes, though. The ad says that every man is responsible for the society he lives in, and that manliness shouldn't involve being a bystander, which is kind of a big ask, particularly when the thing involved is another man doing something you don't like. I think in daily life, I walk past a lot of bullies and a lot of bad situations without standing up for what's right. Sometimes it's a calculated thing like not wanting to cause an issue at work when I can't afford to be fired, but other times it's just an instinct to not want to get involved, even if it wouldn't cost me much. I think there's a common trend in american society to turn and look the other way when someone does something that's a minor transgression (as opposed to a major one), saying "it's none of my business." Sometimes, this is what you have to do to survive. But sometimes, you have the ability to intervene, and to not do so is, in some sense, an act of moral cowardice. To be implicitly reminded of that definitely rankles some nerves.

I think people tell themselves that some of these things are "okay" because to admit that these things are "not okay" would be to admit to themselves that they stood by when something bad happened, and did nothing. And that's a tough thing to admit for anyone.
Quote from: Howard Zinn
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2019, 11:33:56 PM »
Kind of like bystander apathy, someone else will take care of it if it's important, you don't want to get involved. Perfectly human reaction. However, one we must all combat as the someone should be us rather than these unknown other persons.

It's not just an American thing, it's everyone. If said events are happening at work that's a failure of leadership. As in my first post, what a leader walks past is what they're shown to accept. If your boss(es) don't respond appropriately makes that sort of behaviour accepted if not encouraged to fit in.

When it comes to the ad and the usual suspects getting all huffy about it - if the ad bothers you, look at yourself first and ask yourself why.
Drink
Knights Tippler

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2019, 04:19:57 PM »
Kind of like bystander apathy, someone else will take care of it if it's important, you don't want to get involved. Perfectly human reaction. However, one we must all combat as the someone should be us rather than these unknown other persons.
Exactly this point.  The Emergency Services around here did a PR campaign where they emphasized always calling 911 when you see something that warrants it.  Often times, what was happening was that someone would see a bad accident or a fire and keep going by thinking "someone else must have already called about this."

So, this ad is putting it out there that it should be the norm and accepted for a man to step up and say something is wrong despite the historical leniency towards whatever action is about to happen.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2019, 09:12:19 PM »
One of things they teach in responders courses, never say "someone call 111/911/999". Directly point at someone and tell *them* to do it. No confusion or apathy that someone else will do it. Same with traffic control and securing an area. Order people around and give specific individuals tasks rather than the eternal someone to do it.
Drink
Knights Tippler

Offline TagniK'ZuR

• You have the right to act your shoe size
« Reply #10 on: February 3, 2019, 03:09:37 PM »
The female game dev bit was called GamerGate. It was real ugly.
Ahh, I still actually know little about this. I do know that Anita Sarkeesian was somehow involved. And from what I've seen of her, what backlash she got, was at least partially deserved (Not the death threats, but criticism is certainly justified)

Quin on Wu on the other hand...If you don't like a game, just don't buy it.

Exactly this point.  The Emergency Services around here did a PR campaign where they emphasized always calling 911 when you see something that warrants it.  Often times, what was happening was that someone would see a bad accident or a fire and keep going by thinking "someone else must have already called about this."

So, this ad is putting it out there that it should be the norm and accepted for a man to step up and say something is wrong despite the historical leniency towards whatever action is about to happen.
Yes, good points! I know that even with something as trivial as power outages, I usually just assume someone else has reported it.
Birthdays are good for you, the more you have the longer you live.

If you ignore your health long enough, it will go away.