News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Putting a "Comment Box" on my website...  (Read 870 times)

Offline Balthraka

• Dracite
  • This is a lie
    • Betting on Monopoly
Putting a "Comment Box" on my website...
« on: March 23, 2009, 08:04:14 AM »
Hello again everyone!
I am back again with some more website related issues.

What I am trying to do this time; is put a "Comment Box" on a few different pages on my website. That is; a box below the text/pictures on the page that people can write a comment in and submit for me and everyone else to read.
I have tried to do quite a bit of Googling for this but am amazed at the lack of information there is out there...
The only reason I can think for this is that "Comment Box" is not the right 'technical' terminology and I need to find the right words to search for.

Anywho;
From what I have found, it seems I need four different things.
Two that I can probably handle (but could still do with some tips) and two that I have no idea about...  :P
1. A textbox for the comment to go in (obviously).
2. A submit button (obviously)
And here come the hard ones.
3. An 'action page' (No idea what this is)
4. Somewhere that the comments will be stored (no idea how to do this).

So...
Any advice from the tech-savvy out there?

Thanks for any tips in advance!
-B

EDIT:
From continuing research it seems that I may need to use MySQL Databases...
I have some available... I just have absolutely no idea how to use them... Haha.
Or even what they are, haha.

-B
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 08:18:18 AM by Balthraka »
COME SEE THE BIG LIST OF CHAOS ARMY LISTS FOR SOME TRIED AND TESTED LISTS USED BY FORUM MEMBERS

Offline Talon Undecided

• Full Bird Colonel; Old School Necron Hunter Adept; Best Painted Rough Riders
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • kweh!
  • Armies: Astra Militarum, Evil Blood Ravens, AdMech
Re: Putting a "Comment Box" on my website...
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 09:54:47 AM »
Have you tried tagboards? You know, those little boxs of comments at the side of blogs where people post short phrases and comments? Google it, there's plenty of free services available.

Some tagboard websites ( I can't remember the one I used to use) do have 'administrator' needs, where you can actually moderate the comments coming, and the comments are stored in your tagboard account for storage (which iirc, isn't a lot). With a bit of HTML know how, you can tweak the tagboard to your custom needs.  :)

Go take a look, it might be the one you're looking for.
Imperial Guard Poster of the year '09!
Good golly that was ages ago.

Astra what now?

Offline Balthraka

• Dracite
  • This is a lie
    • Betting on Monopoly
Re: Putting a "Comment Box" on my website...
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 11:15:03 PM »
Have you tried tagboards? You know, those little boxs of comments at the side of blogs where people post short phrases and comments? Google it, there's plenty of free services available.
That's interesting...
I don't think it is quite what I want though.
They seem to be more a place for a conversation between people with VERY short messages.
I would prefer, if I can, to get more of a comment thing (which is different on each page) at the bottom of the page.

Some tagboard websites ( I can't remember the one I used to use) do have 'administrator' needs, where you can actually moderate the comments coming, and the comments are stored in your tagboard account for storage (which iirc, isn't a lot). With a bit of HTML know how, you can tweak the tagboard to your custom needs.  :)
I *think* I would prefer to actually have the comments stored on MY server (I assume this is the normal way) so I have total control of them rather than having them controlled and looked after by someone else...

So...
I appreciate those and will have more of a look into them.
But does anyone know how to do it all myself through HTML etc?

From a bit more research I have found that it seems as if I can, instead of using MySQL to store the comments, do it through a text document.
Any idea how to do this? Haha.

-B
COME SEE THE BIG LIST OF CHAOS ARMY LISTS FOR SOME TRIED AND TESTED LISTS USED BY FORUM MEMBERS