News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1500 point causul/ semi competitive list  (Read 1159 times)

Offline FrozenAmethyst

• at least we're still alive, eh?
  • Armies: eldar, Space wolves, Orks
1500 point causul/ semi competitive list
« on: March 1, 2015, 09:10:46 AM »
so i have written a new 1500 list to play with my friends, but want to make sure it can keep them worried. so what i have is:

hq
  • farseer- singing spear, jetbike
  • 3 warlocks- 3 singing spears

Troops
  • 9 dire avengers- wave serpent - t/l scatter laser, shuriken cannon, holo-fields
  • 9 dire avengers- wave serpent - t/l scatter laser, shuriken cannon, holo-fields
  • 5 jetbikes- shuriken cannon
  • 5 rangers

Elites
  • 6 fire dragons- exarch, firepike

Fast Attack
  • 5 warp spiders- exarch, spinneret rifle, powerblades

Heavy support
  • falcon- scatter laser, holo-fields, shuriken cannon
  • Wraithlord- ghostglaive, flamers, scatter laser, brightlance

total = 1504 points (house rule we are allowed 5% over limit)

so my plan is to put the farseer with the bikes, and the warlocks with the dire avengers and rangers. Fire dragons go in the falcon and everything else in on foot. Any tips/ changes you would make?
bad 40k advice: Actually destroy models when they are removed from play.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: 1500 point causul/ semi competitive list
« Reply #1 on: March 1, 2015, 03:56:03 PM »
Do your friends have any fliers? If so your betting on the Waves to take them down, in that case I would swap out the falcon for another Wave and get another 15 points to beef something else up.

Do your friends run Dark Eldar? If so drop the Wraithlord, their poison attacks will take it down real easy.

Offline FrozenAmethyst

« Reply #2 on: March 1, 2015, 04:04:21 PM »
my friends mostly play tau, imperial guard and grey knights (sometimes chaos space marines and tyranids) and so far no-one has a flyer

Offline Wyldhunt

« Reply #3 on: March 1, 2015, 04:15:15 PM »
That's a solid army, but I'm afraid you can't send your warlocks off with rangers and aspect warriors. They're not allowed to join those squads. How cool would it be if they could though!  I suggest dropping the 'locks and using the points to take more spiders.  If you really want to use the 'locks, you could stick one on a bike and have him ride with guardians/farseer or put all of them on bikes. You could also swap some avengers and rangers out for some sort of storm or defender guardian squad that the 'locks could join.

Offline FrozenAmethyst

« Reply #4 on: March 1, 2015, 04:51:48 PM »
That's a solid army, but I'm afraid you can't send your warlocks off with rangers and aspect warriors. They're not allowed to join those squads. How cool would it be if they could though!  I suggest dropping the 'locks and using the points to take more spiders.  If you really want to use the 'locks, you could stick one on a bike and have him ride with guardians/farseer or put all of them on bikes. You could also swap some avengers and rangers out for some sort of storm or defender guardian squad that the 'locks could join.

i never noticed that, i should read my codex more aha. If i drop my 3 warlocks it gives me 120 points left to play live. Any recommendations for other units to get or should i upgrade others?

Offline davethemadorc

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #5 on: March 1, 2015, 07:40:43 PM »
max out one of the DA units. drop the other one. put the fraggons in the other wave serpent - they need to get close to get a kill . sensible opponents wont come anywhere near them apart from with assault infantry ! [tau will just stand off and pepper them]

stick one lock on a bike and then you have some anti-tank in the bike squad as well [two spears]

base level locks with spears are also good anti tank and can jump in the empty wave serpent once your dragons have performed hari-kari - i sometimes run even a small unit [2-3-4] as useful anti-tank back up; they also boost your warp charge dice for the farseer if he gets decent powers

i generally dont bother with a chin gun on a falcon since it wants to stay at range - but you could always hide your locks in there [or even 6 DA] - i wouldnt use falcons for dragons as they need to get really close these days with all the A14 around.

riptides hate dragons so keep them as a threat and he will be wary

wraithlords are lovely models but are on the weak side of the survivability index . he will spend most of the game hiding !

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #6 on: March 1, 2015, 11:52:05 PM »
Against some IG armies, Eldar Assault troops work very well. Could work against Tau as well, but its a bit trickier with some of their special overwatch rules.

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #7 on: March 2, 2015, 10:06:53 AM »

i never noticed that, i should read my codex more aha. If i drop my 3 warlocks it gives me 120 points left to play live. Any recommendations for other units to get or should i upgrade others?

With those points, take a full 10 Avengers and a 6th jetbike with a cannon.

I would also suggest dropping the Dragon Exarch, and his pike as it really isn't needed. With proper placement you shouldn't need the pike anyway.

Use the rest of the points to take more Warp Spiders. Fast shot on the Exarch is good if you're using the rifle.

Offline Wyldhunt

« Reply #8 on: March 3, 2015, 12:28:39 AM »
max out one of the DA units. drop the other one. put the fraggons in the other wave serpent - they need to get close to get a kill . sensible opponents wont come anywhere near them apart from with assault infantry ! [tau will just stand off and pepper them]

stick one lock on a bike and then you have some anti-tank in the bike squad as well [two spears]

base level locks with spears are also good anti tank and can jump in the empty wave serpent once your dragons have performed hari-kari - i sometimes run even a small unit [2-3-4] as useful anti-tank back up; they also boost your warp charge dice for the farseer if he gets decent powers

i generally dont bother with a chin gun on a falcon since it wants to stay at range - but you could always hide your locks in there [or even 6 DA] - i wouldnt use falcons for dragons as they need to get really close these days with all the A14 around.

riptides hate dragons so keep them as a threat and he will be wary

wraithlords are lovely models but are on the weak side of the survivability index . he will spend most of the game hiding !

Afraid I have to disagree with some of that.  Wave Serpents are arguably better at keeping their distance than falcons thanks to the serpent shield.  Serpents are also often seen as bigger threats than falcons meaning they'll probably draw more fire.  That said, serpents with scatter lasers put out enough twin-linked shots that you can jink the serpent without giving up as much offense. 

Sticking a lock on a bike with a spear pairs well with a farseer on bike with a spear, agreed. Just don't forget that bikes can be reasonably scary by simply shooting shuriken cannons at a range, so don't risk getting close to the enemy before you have to!

A trio of 'locks with spears isn't terrible anti-tank, but it's definitely not one of our more effective options for the points.  More dragons give you more durability and fire power for fewer points. I'm also guessing the OP bought the farseer+three warlock kit which means he only has one spear. 'Locks *do* boost your warp charge pool though, which is nice. Also, dragons aren't as much of a suicide unit as they used to be. Between battle focus and their improved armor save, they actually have a pretty good chance of surviving the following turn if supported well. 

If you do take a wraith lord, don't work too hard to hide him.  The lord will, unfortunately, die pretty easily, but he'll also scare your opponent big time!  The nice thing about 'lords is that, unless you ropponent brought the right guns for teh job, they can actually soak up a fair bit of fire power, and they *do* hit hard if they make it across the board. Try to keep a wraith lord cheap if you take it, and think of him as a bullet magnet.

Offline davethemadorc

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #9 on: March 3, 2015, 11:06:45 AM »
so much with eldar depends on what your opponent has that neutralises your options.  dragons sound fine until they get hit by something that fries T3 and denies them an armour save. for 40pts at least locks get an IV 4+ [or better if they get conceal off]  i love my dragons but sadly - even with battle focus - they are still difficult to keep alive against an opponent who wants them out ! 

i regularly run 2 or 3 units of 5 [exarch with fast shot] just for redundancy.

our meta has changed since the newdardex dropped and everyone has learnt how to neutralise the serpent shield or at least minimise its lethality, so i still tend to run them in close with a loadout [dragons, wraithguard, DA, storm+++, warlocks,] and tbh as much as i 'like' falcons i tend to prefer war walkers and reapers for my HS slots.
lost count of the number of times the serpent shield has kept a ship in a semblance of working order [voice over  - "she canna take much more cap'n... shields at 33%"] - whereas the poor old falcon would have popped its clogs !

i think the op was somewhat restricted  by his figures - so was looking at optimising what he had.