News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: new chaos dex dissapointments  (Read 22371 times)

Offline Swamp Rat

Re: new chaos dex dissapointments
« Reply #20 on: October 8, 2012, 05:50:46 AM »
The BS of the Forgefiend puts me off the Hades on both the Heldrake and the Forgefiend, yet at the same time, 8 s8 shots is ridik.

Did anyone get onto the Dakka Pred with Soul Fire? Cheap as chips and stupidly good.
the only hope you have is to accept the fact that you're already dead. And the sooner you accept that, the sooner you will be able to function the way a soldier is supposed to function -- without mercy, without compassion, without remorse. All war depends on it.

Don't cry for the Happy dead
But weep for those who dread to die.

Space Wolves Win Draw Loss - 5-3-0

Offline Wyrmnax

• SPAMMER: Copyright? What's that?
« Reply #21 on: October 8, 2012, 01:11:57 PM »
Commenting OP:

Rhino with a Havoc Launcher is a capacity 10 Heavy Bolter Razorback. I agree with the demon weapons though - i wish we had at least some options.

My disappointments? Mostly stuff that is either still unusable or became unusable:

Lore of Tzeentch. Only decent power is WC2.

Demon Prince - The price hijack make it completely pointless. Unless you roll one as a boon.

Thousand Sons - My favorite legion still got the short stick. Still way too expensive, and the obligatory psyker Got Lore of Tzeentch.

Hellbrutes - Going Berserk is much better than the old chaos dread. However, you get screwed if you are already engaged.

Possessed - Way too expensive.

Mutilators - Whose bright idea was this? Melee terminators that cost the same as 2 terminators, have the same durability of those terminators, have half the combat ability of said terminators, have no shooting whatsoever and have rules that make it harder to get into melee on the first place. Oh, and come in numbers too small to handle a actualy combat unit.

Helldrake - Another case of 'why did this became this expensive?'

Defiler - Price increase why?

Forgefiend - again, would be a great model at ~140 points. As is? Gets outdone by triple las predator ( a tank that isnt very good to begin with ), or Havocs.

The other two things that bother me and dont have much to do with price are these:

Champions everywhere! Costing x points each. Yes, your obligatory Cultist Champion cost x points. He is so expensive in fact that the cultists cost as much as a IG platoon, and those come with better ld, better armor, guns that always work withing 24" and choice of better heavy weapons.

Lack of character on the gear lists. Basically, It is too marinei, too little chaosy. I would have expected more access to chaos stuff, warped stuff. Grey Knights have acess to more daemon weapons than CSM, for example. Fleshmetal could be a upgrade to some models. It Will Not Die could be a upgrade to vehicles that are chaos possessed. Things like this - that make the army more daemonic withouth stopping being marines.

[mod]Please don't post unit upgrade costs, it's against the forum rules - Iris.[/mod]
« Last Edit: October 8, 2012, 02:36:14 PM by Irisado »

Offline Locarno

• Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Could I interest you in a small bribe?
« Reply #22 on: October 8, 2012, 05:32:05 PM »

Invulnerable save and It Will Not Die, I guess.

Didn't notice the Daemon Prince isn't an eternal warrior. This seems somewhat daft - he is, after all, almost by definition immortal - and also potentially concerning in that if one assumes the Rulebook Daemon rule is to be used, the update daemons (flamers and screamers) don't have it either. This does not bode well for daemons in the future....

Also - Noise Marines got nasty. They're  not a bad buy just as a swap for generic chaos marines - essentially getting I5 and Fearless for slightly less points than the upgrade used to cost (and much less than you used to pay per model), but it's the upgrades that make them tasty.

For a pure assault unit, Veterans of The Long War and a swap to chainswords makes them pretty tasty in a fair fight, and Icon of Excess allows a big unit to survive hoofing it across the board without necessarily needing transport.

Sonic Blasters are only for a static gunline - if you intend to move, you're paying points for a worse gun than a bolter. Dug in, they're awesome at crowd control.
The blastmaster is now one of the scariest guns going. It's not far short of an ignore-cover-plasma-cannon and is available to small squads.

Thousand sons - hmmph. Not getting overwatch is annoying, but it's something they've not gained rather than lost.
The sorceror is less reliable power-wise, I admit, but the Tzeench Primaris power could be worse. It's mainly good on those occasions where the unit finds itself having to do crowd control (as is - in theory - the icon of flames, although I think that's a bit expensive for what it's actually likely to do).

Main thing that's nice is them speeding up as infantry - that's a Slow and Purposeful change rather than anything in the codex but it doesn't half help. They're not going to be running anyway and being able to move up on objectives at a decent speed helps.

Lastly, Veterans of the Long War. Really not going to help against a proper assault unit but makes them not bad on the charge. More importantly, space marine characters are likely to remain appropriately leery of the squad leader with the magic glowstick of death.

Also, Azhek Ahriman. Seriously, what the actual krunk? Okay, the black staff doesn't penetrate power armour. However, watch as he pumps all three Biomancy melee powers simultaneously and then uses the force ability of the staff to boot. Or the fact that he's one of the first psykers who can both reliably get and use the truly hideous telepathy power Hallucination.
Stories to read....
Songs of Earth
The Will to Survive Series

Tervigon Army List:
Games Played: 35
Termagants expended for the Hive Mind: ~2685

Offline wper34

• Echo! Echo! Echo! Colonel
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • What? ~nyo
« Reply #23 on: October 8, 2012, 05:34:58 PM »
Has anyone here noticed that we can no longer have a Termie model (apart from Champion) armed with a combi-weapon & a chainfist?

Glad that I have yet assembled any of my models...

Also, by strict RAW, Noise Champion cannot take sonic blaster.

Sentinel Commander of 34th Neros Regiment
My Army Principle: 1. Quantity 2. Quality 3. Variety
Anime Mecha Vocaloid (And Neko) Lover ~nyo

Hymirl... I think you'd better start eating reading the rulebook. :P

Offline WilliamT

• "It's only a game"
« Reply #24 on: October 9, 2012, 12:36:01 AM »
Let's look at some of the chaos psychic powers.  What do you folks think of Weapon Virus?

I played a game last weekend with my Tau.  A sorcerer cast it on my Skyrays, which can fire many times (smart missiles, seeker missiles from markerlight hits).  See rule for: Gets Hot! on vehicles on a 4+.  I felt it really was fantastic in suppressing vehicles.

After the game, we were talking about using Weapon Virus (which is something new in the codex) on zooming flyers, like the Vendetta, which seems to be popping up everywhere. 

Offline The_Outcast

• Infinity Circuit
  • I am the only one who left willingly.
« Reply #25 on: October 9, 2012, 12:57:55 AM »
As far as codexes go? I'd saying this is second most disappointing codex I've seen( the 4th edition Eldar codex being the most :( )...  The price went up and the quality went way down... Yay it's in colour but half of the text is out of the last book??? I would have liked to see a lot more fluff(especially about the other 4 legions like Night Lords, Iron Warriors, etc)... I think the rules went way down... The only a demon prince will ever pop up in my army is because of the boon table... Way overcosted for a confusing stat increase... The whole book just seems very half assed... Most of the pictures were repeats only this time in colour...

The_Outcast

Offline Swamp Rat

« Reply #26 on: October 9, 2012, 05:19:03 AM »
I'm not a fan of how it's geared towards throwing guys into challenges, and then they get butchered. I thought, kit-wise, they'd be better than average in challenges, yet there's nothing really worth it in there. Also, daemon weapons, there's 2. One is worth taking, but only with the MoK, which is slightly redundant in my eyes. Especially when Kharn is cheaper and better. I think they've cocked up with keeping Marks on the 1 other daemon weapon.
the only hope you have is to accept the fact that you're already dead. And the sooner you accept that, the sooner you will be able to function the way a soldier is supposed to function -- without mercy, without compassion, without remorse. All war depends on it.

Don't cry for the Happy dead
But weep for those who dread to die.

Space Wolves Win Draw Loss - 5-3-0

Offline Bearer of the Word

• DEATH TO THE MINIONS OF THE CORPSE GOD!
« Reply #27 on: October 9, 2012, 08:03:32 AM »
i dont really mind the challenge thing. champions are not the squishiest fighters, so if something can beat it in combat, it was probally a beetter option than to let it butcher the rest of the squad. downside is ur screwd if ur charged ib a single character
death before dishonor!

Offline ozzfann0666

• Death is Overrated. Chaos is not.
    • My Dice Suck
« Reply #28 on: October 9, 2012, 08:17:47 PM »

My disappointments? Mostly stuff that is either still unusable or became unusable:

Lore of Tzeentch. Only decent power is WC2.

Demon Prince - The price hijack make it completely pointless. Unless you roll one as a boon.

Thousand Sons - My favorite legion still got the short stick. Still way too expensive, and the obligatory psyker Got Lore of Tzeentch.

Hellbrutes - Going Berserk is much better than the old chaos dread. However, you get screwed if you are already engaged.

Possessed - Way too expensive.

Mutilators - Whose bright idea was this? Melee terminators that cost the same as 2 terminators, have the same durability of those terminators, have half the combat ability of said terminators, have no shooting whatsoever and have rules that make it harder to get into melee on the first place. Oh, and come in numbers too small to handle a actualy combat unit.

Helldrake - Another case of 'why did this became this expensive?'

Forgefiend - again, would be a great model at ~140 points. As is? Gets outdone by triple las predator ( a tank that isnt very good to begin with ), or Havocs.

The other two things that bother me and dont have much to do with price are these:

Champions everywhere! Costing x points each. Yes, your obligatory Cultist Champion cost x points. He is so expensive in fact that the cultists cost as much as a IG platoon, and those come with better ld, better armor, guns that always work withing 24" and choice of better heavy weapons.

Lack of character on the gear lists. Basically, It is too marinei, too little chaosy. I would have expected more access to chaos stuff, warped stuff. Grey Knights have acess to more daemon weapons than CSM, for example. Fleshmetal could be a upgrade to some models. It Will Not Die could be a upgrade to vehicles that are chaos possessed. Things like this - that make the army more daemonic withouth stopping being marines.

Please don't post unit upgrade costs, it's against the forum rules - Iris.

I'm gonna have to seriously disagree with most of what you said here. The WC2 Power (Breath of Chaos) Is functionally Identical to the last dex, just written differently. Bolt of Tzeentch is effing insane. It's the same stats as it was in the last book, but now it's a BEAM which means it can tear through multiple targets. Boon of mutation, although unreliable, can be rediculous. The Primaris power is a little meh, but that's why it's the primaris power.

Demon Princes, although not great anymore, are still a decent choice, at least for a second detachment.

Thousand Sons are pretty much unchanged from the last book. And I've played against them. They make an INSANE tarpit. Wrecked my face.

Hellbrutes are freakin nuts. They can't hit our dudes anymore, and they only even go crazy if they get hurt.

Ok, Possessed are a bit pricey, but they can be as effective as some terminators, and they can fit into nice cheap rhinos rather than being carted around by a big block or ceramite and adamantium that's expensive on the table and the wallet.

Ok, Mutilators are literally twice as durable as terminators because they have twice the number of wounds as regular terminators. They actually fight BETTER than terminators because they always get the bonus attack for 2 weapons. And what exactly slows them down from getting into CC? If you mean slow and purposeful, re-read your rulebook. It doesn't slow down movement anymore. They can get to combat just as fast as any other infantry.

And the helldrake "became this expensive" compared to what previous incarnation? Second of all, considering what it can do, I think it's >200 point cost is more than fair, if not generous. It's a flyer made to kill the current meta of flyer spam. It exists simply to take out enemy flyers.

Ok, Defiler got an unnecessary points jump, but it gained "It will not Die" and can take more upgrades to increase its viability.

Forgefiends are unbelievable. To the tune of a couple hundred points (literally) you have 3 plasma-cannons at +1 strength compared to a regular plasma cannon. And it's incredibly durable thanks to it's invulnerable save and "It will not die" It is an amazing and appropriately costed gun platform.

In regards to the cost of cultists and whatnot? Yes, it sucks that we MUST take champions in every unit, but honestly, didn't most of us do that anyway? And cultists are fantastic. At 1 point less per model than guardsmen (plus the x points premium we pay for the obligatory champion) we have a cheap as dirt close combat unit. You want a shooty unit? Your cultists become the same price as guardsmen, we just have to pay for our unit commander.

And although our armory didn't get as much unique stuff as we would have liked, we still got more than the last book.

Overall, my only major gripe with the book is the lack of new special characters from the other traitor legions. I fully expecting something similar to "Chapter tactics" for night lords, Iron warriors, etc. And Cypher not being in the book was disappointing, however I can almost guaruntee he'll be in the new DA book. Think about it, back when he was in the book, he made your chaos marines function like regular means, going so far as to grant ATSKNF. His army didn't function like a chaos army. He's going to be in the Dark Angels book, because his army functions like a Dark Angels army. Sort of how Gabriel Seth's army functions just like the Blood Angels, even though the Flesh Tearers are only descended from them. I imagine he will be a mutually exclusive special character however, to prevent him from teaming up with Azrael and friends, because that would really be a breach in fluff.

Offline enlg

• I like editing stuff.
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2012, 09:31:59 AM »
Another thing that you should consider, Wyrmnax, is that Mutilators aren't priced as two terminators. They are somewhat appropriately priced as a paladin.
If you then consider the fact that they can get marks, that also has lots of icons (AKA deeps strike homers) you will see why these can be effective.

Overall I see the marks as the biggest change in the book, particularly the mark of nurgle. Considering that only Typhus+plague marines get feel no pain, I'm probably going to not use them in my army so that I have some rules consistency among my Death Guard themed army.

Normal Marines with the mark of nurgle are quite inexpensive, and obliterators/spawn with this mark are also quite impressive.

Obliterators with the mark of nurgle:
-immune to ID from lascannons (vendettas, IG can't kill them as easily)
-grey knights cant kill them with psybolt autoacannon dreads easily
-long fangs can't get lucky and instakill them
           *obliterators are now more effective against these 3 top-tier armies

-assault cannons help them kill light vehicles
-lascannon, multi-melta, assault cannon, and plasma cannon let them fire anti-tank and anti-infantry guns all game if they want to (provided they are in range, you can switch between two weapons and not lose too much effectiveness).

A final note. My own build used to use Havocs. Consider these beautiful changes:

Old Havocs:   (these were a niche unit, many games they did well for me, other times they would be not so great)

(195) 7 Havocs, 4 autocannons, icon of chaos glory
-they fired a lot
-had rerollable leadership
-they could act as formidable counter-assault to small harasser units

New Havocs:

(187) 7 Havocs, Mark of Nurgle, 4 autocannons, icon of fearless (forgot its name....no book on me....)
-they fire a lot
-they are fearless
-they are toughness 5

The only loss here is that they can't dish out many attacks like they used to, but overall toughness 5+fearless outweighs that loss, especially when they cost less.

Offline ozzfann0666

• My Dice Suck
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2012, 10:39:55 AM »
that also has lots of icons (AKA deeps strike homers) you will see why these can be effective.

Actually, as far as I can tell from the new book, Icons don't guide deep strike anymore. Unless I completely missed it, of course. Can anybody confirm?

Offline Neo-Buzzard

• I tire of these games....
  • Armies: Deathguard w/ Demons, & Space Wolves w/ Skitarri
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2012, 12:24:27 PM »
that also has lots of icons (AKA deeps strike homers) you will see why these can be effective.

Actually, as far as I can tell from the new book, Icons don't guide deep strike anymore. Unless I completely missed it, of course. Can anybody confirm?

Coming back after some time away. No, icon's do not act as teleport homers now. But the dimensional key is like a super homer (not to mention its other fun effects), just have to kill an enemy in CC to make it work.

Over all I'm very pleased with the new dex. and to everyone who has something to complain about with the new dex i have this to say; This is the 1st dex to be released in 6th ed, and it just shows the direction & style they (GW) are going to use for all codices yet to be released. So if you feel CSM got screwed then everyone is going to get screwed when they get their new dex.

The only thing i didnt initially like about the new codex was the lack of demon weapons. All of my chaos lords had been modeled with some kind of stylised sword (always as the nurlge d-wep) but now i've switch one of my lords to have a power scythe (i believe those count as axes) and gave him the burning brand of skalathrax. With the rules for power weps as they are, I feel okay with the lack of CC weapons in the dex, cause you can have w/e flavor you want to have with just a switch of the model.

And before anyone starts to tell me about how great the murder sword is, most of my opponents play very mobile armies (tau and eldar) so if i say "murder sword likes your farseer this game" my lord will never, ever see the farseer in CC.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 01:06:42 PM by Neo-Buzzard »
Quote - YuenglingDragon:  Kharn is an unholy ass-kicker.  Makes perfect sense to me.  Blood for the Blood God and anti-grav engines for his awesome flying throne.

Offline enlg

• I like editing stuff.
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2012, 12:35:11 PM »
You are correct actually. My fault there.

So then the Dimensional Key is our only real way to get deep strike that doesn't scatter, which also sucks since some of us were excited about us being able to prevent Chaos Daemons from scattering.

I'm definitely going to have to adjust my strategy, as I used to really take advantage of person icons and oblits/terminators. I'm maybe considering giving a Daemon Prince a Dimensional Key, though the Burning Brand on a winged daemon prince (I.E. shooting while swooping) would be a great weapon to raise Epidemus' Tally with.

Offline Neo-Buzzard

« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2012, 12:56:03 PM »
Ya, i think the boost the the DP's stat line was to make us hope we rolled a 66 on the boon table.

One thing I'm confused about is how are we gonna use our chosen now that they dont have infiltrate? I used to run a small meltacide unit but now im just look at them and go "?????"

I guess deck them out with special CC weps
Quote - YuenglingDragon:  Kharn is an unholy ass-kicker.  Makes perfect sense to me.  Blood for the Blood God and anti-grav engines for his awesome flying throne.

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2012, 12:58:42 PM »
One thing I'm confused about is how are we gonna use our chosen now that they dont have infiltrate? I used to run a small meltacide unit but now im just look at them and go "?????"

Why not just mount them in Rhinos, and use them as mobile fire support?  I don't view the loss of infiltration as a major problem, and with Plasma weapons being handy in sixth edition, I think that you could also make a pretty good case for using them in an infantry fire support role too.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Neo-Buzzard

« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2012, 01:05:21 PM »
Why not just mount them in Rhinos, and use them as mobile fire support?  I don't view the loss of infiltration as a major problem, and with Plasma weapons being handy in sixth edition, I think that you could also make a pretty good case for using them in an infantry fire support role too.
I was actually thinking of running them with 5 power mauls (4 on chosen and 1 on champ) and maybe the rest to soak wounds, and giving my chaos lord to that squad, but if i did what you said it would allow me to use all those extra plasma bits i have from my space wolf kits.

Offline wper34

• Echo! Echo! Echo! Colonel
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • What? ~nyo
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2012, 01:17:32 PM »

Agreed with Irisado... If anything, you could view Chosen as another type of Havocs unit with spec weps except that they are slightly more expensive, have more attacks, and use up Elite slots instead of Hvy Support. (So that you can take any units you want from that area.)

While I do feel that the loss of infiltration & ability to arm the whole unit with meltabombs are a bit of shame, but the fact that Chosen still retain many of their options as the previous codex is more than enough to make up for it. (If not, possibly even more now with all the marks & icons choices along with different power wep combo in the 6th Edition. :))

EDIT

I was actually thinking of running them with 5 power mauls (4 on chosen and 1 on champ) and maybe the rest to soak wounds, and giving my chaos lord to that squad, but if i did what you said it would allow me to use all those extra plasma bits i have from my space wolf kits.

You could also even top that combo with Marks of Slaanesh for higher initiative to strike first. Mix & match the weps in such unit would be neat like a mix of 2-3 Mauls & 2-3 Swords. And if you feel like it, you could give them FNP via an icon.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 01:21:23 PM by WootPeer34 »

Sentinel Commander of 34th Neros Regiment
My Army Principle: 1. Quantity 2. Quality 3. Variety
Anime Mecha Vocaloid (And Neko) Lover ~nyo

Hymirl... I think you'd better start eating reading the rulebook. :P

Offline ozzfann0666

• My Dice Suck
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2012, 02:04:39 PM »
I used to run the unit with 5 meltas and then just extra dudes to sock up wounds, but I've decided to make the squad 5 Meltas, 4 guys with special CCWs (from Dark Vengeance) and 1 extra guy for a wound. Or I drop the last guy and put in a chaos lord. The unit zooms up in a rhino, then gets out next turn, blows an enemy transport to hell, then charges in to mop up survivors.And I have to say, MoS plus the FNP icon is kinda nuts.

Offline Guildmage Aech

• FLAMER: Ego Bigger than his Common Sense Centre | 40KO's Care Bear of Spite | Dolphin Death Dealer | 40K Oracle
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2012, 03:57:30 PM »
The loss of iniltration is a loss of outflank, even with a vehicle. Having the rule removed does effect their utility quite a lot, they're still a good unit but now have to stick to more conventional tactics and simply be better equipped at dealing with things than the run of the mill troops. Plus it pushes them into a better choice for a bodyguard unit.

Additionally it prevents horrible ICs being outflanked into enemy armies so its probably a balance factor too.
Rules Expert 2007 | Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit 2008 | Most Notoriously Valuable Rules Expert 2009 | Most Notorious 2014

Offline ozzfann0666

• My Dice Suck
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2012, 09:00:00 PM »
Dear god... Did anybody else notice that Demon Princes lost eternal warrior? They have the Demon USR, but that doesn't grant EW. A sad day for demon-kind...