News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 750 pts Tournament list  (Read 2642 times)

Offline bicuspid valve

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
  • Armies: Eldar
750 pts Tournament list
« on: June 18, 2016, 05:23:25 PM »
I am currently writing a list for a 750 point tournament that I am planning on entering. I am fairly experienced with 7th ed eldar but haven't written any lists for a while and would appreciate any advice. The tournament is going to contain blood angels, orks, tyranids, CSM, tau and perhaps a few others.

Tournament rules:
No super-heavy or gargantuan units
Unbound lists are allowed (but I would like to avoid using one)
Maximum of two codices in each army (I only have eldar)
No more than three instances of any one codex entry
Games will be eternal war scenarios, players can either agree on a scenario or randomise

List:
Combined Arms Detatchment

Farseer Skyrunner               115 pts

4 Windriders                    108 pts
All scatter lasers

5 Rangers                       60 pts

Aspect Host (BS+1)
5 Fire Dragons                  120 pts
Exarch

Wave Serpent                    115 pts
Heavy Weapon (Undecided)

6 Swooping Hawks                106 pts
Exarch

6 Warp Spiders                  124 pts
Exarch

Total 748 pts

Plan is for the Farseer to join the jetbikes and then they and the rangers sit back, shoot and hold objectives. Warp spiders and fire dragons in wave serpent press forward aggressively, swooping hawks drop down and start blasting troops or grenading vehicles.

Not sure what Warlord Traits/Psychic powers to go for with the farseer. I tend to go for all on divination or primaris on runes of fate and divination and then another roll on divination, I like to keep my farseer buff-centred to keep him out of the way and to mitigate DTW.

Other stuff I have: (that I can remember)
Crimson Hunter
2x Fire Prism/Night Spinner
10 Dire Avengers
10 Guardians + platform
Another wave serpent
3x Shadow weaver
8x Stiking Scorpions
5x wraithguard/wraithblades (magnetised arms)
2x warlocks
more warp spiders
more jetbikes
more swooping hawks
more rangers
maugan ra
baharroth

edit: also
6xdark reapers
More fire dragons
Farseer on foot (can proxy as spiritseer)
Winged autarch
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 02:35:16 AM by bicuspid valve »

Offline Faeluchu

• Let the sunshine in!
  • Armies: Yme-Loc Eldar
Re: 750 pts Tournament list
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2016, 02:18:22 PM »
Personally I would swap Dragons for Reapers - at just 750pts you shouldn't have to worry about heavy-armoured vehicles and your scat lasers should be able to glance anything to death, so there's no need really, while long-range infantry might come in handy against Tau or when thinning out Ork/Cultist mobs.

I've seen people bring a Heldrake for a 1000pts tournament, so that's something to bear in mind - if you drop the Serpent and a Warp Spider you will be able to fit in your Crimson Hunter, which can later on fulfill the double role of character-hunter or objective-sweeper. If you know the lists that you might encounter (eg. you've played with those people before) then you'll know whether to expect any flyers or not.

Food for thought: you don't really have any shuriken weapons, which seems a shame seeing how good they are - last Saturday my Guardians easily managed to wipe out a squad of Grey Knight Terminators thanks to those 6s to Wound. Guardians are as cheap as dirt, so they're definitely worth considering, although if you don't want to drop your Aspect Host it might be hard to fit them it. However, another thing that you can do is drop either Hawks or Spiders (they have a similar role of fast, hard-hitting infantry after all) and put Dire Avengers in that place. With a dedicated Wave Serpent they are definitely mobile enough, their extended range (as compared to Guardians) plus Battle Focus means that practically speaking they can outrange a bolter and, being an Aspect, they still benefit from +1 BS and Shrinekeepers.

As far as the Farseer is concerned I tend to go for pure Runes of Fate - the Primaris is super useful and while you might get some powers that are more offensive that "buff-centred", like Mind War, those can still be very useful. But if you want to go pure support on him then probably a roll on Fate would be good and then you either swap the power for the Primaris if it's not good enough (Mind War/Eldritch Storm) or roll once again if tou get a good one (Fortune/Doom). Then you can roll on Divination and swap for the Primaris if need be. Generally speaking I feel that Runes of Fate are quite well-balanced and tailored to what you usually want to achieve with your army (maybe with the exception of Executioner).
And with Warlord Traits... they're randomly generated, so there's no way to plan for that, right? ;)
"Tylko jeśli szybowałeś przez niebo na skrzydłach z ognia możesz zrozumieć Jastrzębia"

BYB is too close to BYOB (Bring Your Own Booze) which is how I started gaming anyways. The proper way.

Offline haunt

• Aspect Warrior | I Won the Eldar Army List Competition, and All I Got Was This Title!
  • Play and have fun.
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angel, Tyranids, Necrons and Tau
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2016, 08:23:01 PM »
Wish you had a Wraithlord, since it will cause some heads to turn around against it.
This is where Death rejoices, as he teaches the living.

Hoc est ubi mors gaudet, quod ipse docet vivis.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat

Offline bicuspid valve

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 03:15:45 AM »
Wish you had a Wraithlord, since it will cause some heads to turn around against it.
Yeah, that role is usually taken by my Wraithknight, but it is unfortunately banned, I do have some Wraithblades though, which are only slightly more exspensive.

Personally I would swap Dragons for Reapers - at just 750pts you shouldn't have to worry about heavy-armoured vehicles and your scat lasers should be able to glance anything to death, so there's no need really, while long-range infantry might come in handy against Tau or when thinning out Ork/Cultist mobs.
I hadn't thought of this, but my only worry is that I am fairly certain that the tau player is going to be bringing his riptide (as it is not superheavy or gargantuan), and having never played against one before I am not sure how easy it would be to take out without dragons. Also, would you recommend upgrading to starshot or keeping just starswarm? Any upgrades for the exarch?

if you drop the Serpent and a Warp Spider you will be able to fit in your Crimson Hunter, which can later on fulfill the double role of character-hunter or objective-sweeper.
Not sure on this, I have played with the Crimson Hunter a few times in some larger points games, and the only impression that I've had so far is the fact that it is legitimately threatened by ork boy shoota mobs. However, in a smaller game it should be easier to keep it safe, so maybe.

you don't really have any shuriken weapons, which seems a shame seeing how good they are
Yeah, I enjoy the power of "roll a 6 and kill stuff" myself. In fairness the warp spiders have a similar mechanic, and I could try swapping out the hawks, but then again the hawks have always been very good for me. Not sure on this one.

Offline haunt

• Aspect Warrior | I Won the Eldar Army List Competition, and All I Got Was This Title!
  • Play and have fun.
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 03:31:05 AM »
Just remember the facts:

Small point games = MSUs = Faster to lose the units.

Dark Eldar is probably the only army that would give you a hard time.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat

Offline bicuspid valve

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2016, 08:18:01 AM »
I'm afraid I don't understand the previous post. Do you mean that I shouldn't use MSU because I would loose them to quickly? Or that everyone else will be using MSU that will be easy to kill?

Offline haunt

• Play and have fun.
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2016, 12:20:12 PM »
It just means have units that can last the fight either via high T or saves.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat

Offline bicuspid valve

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2016, 06:11:51 PM »
How about this list?

Combined Arms Detatchment

Farseer Skyrunner               115 pts

5 Windriders                    135 pts
All scatter lasers

5 Rangers                       60 pts

Aspect Host (BS+1)
5 Dark Reapers                  180 pts
5x Starshot missiles, Exarch

8 Dire Avengers                 114 pts
Exarch

7 Warp Spiders                  143 pts
Exarch

Total 747 pts

Pretty much the same as the last list, but I swapped the Fire Dragons for the Reapers and the Hawks for the Avengers. Then I used the remaining points to bump up a few units. For psychic powers I am thinking either all on divination, or 2 on divination, 1 on Runes of fate for guide.

Offline haunt

• Play and have fun.
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2016, 10:49:20 PM »
Good rework and I like it better.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat