News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: New Store - Kirton Games in Crediton, Devon, UK  (Read 2967 times)

Offline Col.Gravis

• General; Best Painter
  • I take the Pith so you dont have too!
    • Blog
New Store - Kirton Games in Crediton, Devon, UK
« on: January 15, 2014, 07:00:07 AM »
I'd just like to introduce a new store which has opened in Crediton, Devon, in the UK, though for full disclosure I am one of the owners!

Kirton Games is a bricks and mortar store, and webstore (Kirton Games), its run by myself and my two closest friends, with the three of us having over 45 years of hobby experience between us. The store is small, but perfectly formed, so we carry only a limited permanent stock of Games Workshop products amongst others, though we can of course order in most things and offer discounts from RRP of upto 20%, as well as free UK postage on all orders above £15.00.

If you run or are a member of a local club we also offer other benefits, including direct delivery to you on your gaming club night by arrangement.

Being small we do only have one 6'x4' gaming table, however, this is to use any time during our opening hours.

You can find more details about where we are, and our current opening hours on the store website, here.

Offline Oliver009

• Armies: Tau
Re: New Store - Kirton Games in Crediton, Devon, UK
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 10:34:59 AM »
Good luck to you.

Offline Col.Gravis

• General; Best Painter
    • Blog
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 04:40:01 AM »
Thanks Oliver!

It's certainly proving to be an interesting experience! The shop itself is proving very popular, I've taken on running our Beginners Evenings on Tuesdays, we've ended up with 10+ beginners in each evening now, which has made it slightly crazy, very loud but great fun! While the table is proving popular with veteran gamers on our late night and Saturday openings.

The webstore side of the business is growing more slowly, I put that down to competing with well known established webstores, and the fact that our business model means our 'headline' discount is often lower, though in reality once you add on shipping we're actually often cheaper, especially on our 'Deal of the Week' promotion we've started running (bigger discounts for a limited time on a specific item), for example this week we have Eldar Wraithknights on 20%, again with free shipping. We'll keep plugging away with that though.

The next thing we're introducing is a proper Beginners programme, with aims and rewards, and also some sculpting and painting classes for more established hobbiests - guess who'll be running those. ;D

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 09:08:07 AM »
I've been in a Games Workshop shop where there were less than 10 beginners and the noise was truly amazing. You must have the patience of a saint to cope with 10+.

I was looking around recently to buy the new Tryanid Codex and obviously looked at your site but I'm sorry to say that I didn't find your prices very attractive. Maybe it's just me but I'm looking to save more than £3 on a £30 item. There are a lot of imagined problems with an online purchase that, to me, means the price has to make the perceived risk worthwhile. Things like non-delivery, broken items, the wrong part all adds up in a buyers mind to potential hassle. Maybe it's unrealistic on my part but I'm always looking for at least 20% off.
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Col.Gravis

• General; Best Painter
    • Blog
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 07:26:55 AM »
It is ....interesting! But really good fun as well, kind of takes me back to when I was first learning myself - its very rewarding putting something like that back into the hobby.

Now on our discounts, yes, I appreciate 10% by itself does'nt actually sound much on the face of it, but to illustrate a quick comparison.

Take say a box set like the Imperial Guard Cadian Shock Troopers, RRP £18.00, with a 10% discount our price is £16.20, and thats it with free postage.

Now one well known and well regarded UK based internet retailer sells the same box for £13.50, thats over a 25% discount for their headline price, however, they also charge postage, jacking up your price by £3.80 minimum bringing the total cost to £17.30.

The same story repeats across the net, on similar sized orders our headline price is higher, but once you do the sums we work out that little bit cheaper, in the example to the tune of £1.10.

You can of course get bigger discounts online still, though to actually get 20% or more usually means you need to be making a bigger spend in the first place once you factor in postage costs. For now at least we're not trying to compete with that, though we are working on some ways we may do in the future, aside from our regular Deal of the Week.

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 10:22:34 AM »
Maybe it's just me but I'm looking to save more than £3 on a £30 item.

I think you might have missed the point I was trying to make Col. I realise the difference that postage can make and what I was trying to point out that what is important to me is the overall saving.

Take say a box set like the Imperial Guard Cadian Shock Troopers, RRP £18.00, with a 10% discount our price is £16.20, and thats it with free postage.

Your example sums up my predicament quite nicely. Cheaper than other retailers or not I do not know whether I would bother buying online for a saving of £1.80. Like I said maybe I am being unrealistic and I need to adjust my attitude to online buying. If I were in a brick and mortar store I would always buy the cheapest of whatever item I am looking to buy. Maybe I should bring that attitude to online buying and try to ignore the perceived problems.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 09:02:25 AM by Alienscar »
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Col.Gravis

• General; Best Painter
    • Blog
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2014, 05:25:00 PM »
Ah, I see what you mean!

I dont think your being unrealistic on reflection, there are deals to be had online, we are working on putting together army deals for example but the real ones do have to be hunted for.

When it comes to smaller amounts, well if you have a really good local FLGS that you want to support then all the more power to you, local stores are essential to the hobby and need support, I certainly went to my local far more often then online despite the savings which do tot up over time. I'd still advocate that.

Where you dont have such a store, well it does just come down to what price you place on picking the models off the shelf immediately compared to having them delivered to your door some days later - the time 'thing' should really be the only issue though. Any online retailer worth their salt will resolve any other issues that might arise (including those you've mentioned). Though obviously we've all heard the bad experiences people have, even from what we at one point thought were established and safe - such as the whole Maelstrom debacle.