News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Mixing paints  (Read 1881 times)

Offline CheesyRobMan

• Burna Mek
Mixing paints
« on: January 5, 2009, 05:51:42 AM »
What's the best way to mix large* quantities of paint?

*more than a few drops on a pallette

I've got one of the old Mixing Pots and I want to fill it as full as possible, since the colour in question (50:50 white and Fortress Grey) is going to be a fairly major colour and I can't be bothered mixing it up each time, plus I want it to be consistent across the army. Just pouring the paints is a definite no-no (tried it, disaster ensued). Any tips?
"Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!" - Marvin the Martian

Offline Dux Aurelius Elysius

• Lord Inquisitor Tempestus; Captain Buzzkill.
  • Ancient
  • A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time.
    • The Duke's Painting Table (my painting blog)
Re: Mixing paints
« Reply #1 on: January 5, 2009, 05:57:08 AM »
Syringe to measure, a small ball bearing in the bottom of the pot to really move the paint about when you shake it (less wasteful that putting in a cocktail stick and having to scrape the paint off afterwards.)  Just make sure you thoroughly wash out the syringe in between paints.
I carry with me an Inquisitorial Seal. It is a small, unassuming object contained in a neat box of Pluvian obsidian. It is a modest thing. Relatively plain, adorned with a single motif and a simple motto. Yet with this little object I can sign the death warrant of an entire world and consign a billion souls to Oblivion.

Offline Dire Wolf

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 10:53:25 AM »
Just make sure the BB is of the non-rusting variety.

Offline cyrax89

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 02:34:32 AM »
First take like a drop of each paint and mix them on a plate to see if the result is something you will like. If you like the end result fallow the same process again but with a larger amount of paint. DO NOT DUMP ALL THE PAINT OUT AT ONCE AND MIX. Pour out small amounts of each and mix, continue this process gradually as needed until you finish up. I hope this helps. 
"If your battle plan's working, it's probably a trap."
- Kolton Phae, On Military Matters, 739 M41

Offline Braunmi

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Mixing Custom Paint Color
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009, 04:52:52 PM »
Sorry for a silly question but how do I go about mixing a custom pot of paint?  What type of container (paint pot) should I buy..don't think you can buy empty ones.  Do you pour half of each color in a empty pot or use eye droppers?  Is there a way to clean out an old one?  I tried with water but it did not work well at all.  I do Ultramarines, so I am trying to mix a batch of 50/50 Regal Blue and Ultra Blue so I don't have to mix it on my pallet all the time. 

Offline Dux Aurelius Elysius

• Lord Inquisitor Tempestus; Captain Buzzkill.
  • Ancient
  • A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time.
    • The Duke's Painting Table (my painting blog)
Re: Mixing Custom Paint Color
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2009, 05:13:53 PM »
You can get empty vallejo paint pots.  I picked some up when I placed an order from here and tend to use them for galleria product and water effects which come in massive bottles because the dropper means I can better control how much I use.  GW also (used?) to sell empty pots but I heard they were being discontinued so whether or not there'll still be any lef is another matter.  Worth looking into if your LGS is a GW or a stockiest.

As for how to make the mix, you can use a syringe (which can easily be bought in a hobbycraft or some sort of craft store) and will help measure accurately if you're very concerned about that.  If you're using an empty GW pot or something else with a large top, stick something like a stainless steel ball bearing in to help mix when you shake.  If you're using an empty vallejo pot or something else that tapers to a dispenser, just shake thoroughly and use something like a cocktail stick to stir.  A ball bearing may get stuck at the end, like a hamster water container, meaning you have to open it up and fish it out to dispense paint.
I carry with me an Inquisitorial Seal. It is a small, unassuming object contained in a neat box of Pluvian obsidian. It is a modest thing. Relatively plain, adorned with a single motif and a simple motto. Yet with this little object I can sign the death warrant of an entire world and consign a billion souls to Oblivion.

Offline Aislinn

• "If it bleeds, we can kill it"
Re: Mixing Custom Paint Color
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2009, 10:44:27 AM »
Actually your local GW does sell empty paint pots.  and they're very inexpensive.  As for mixing a paint colour,try it small scale first: like mixing on a tile, then make it large scale.  like if you used a two to one mix on the model still do that but make the parts larger.  Then, if it's not exact use a dropper to add more of the desired colour.  If you need any other tips, feel free to ask :)
  "Their song shall die first!"