News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Studies  (Read 2144 times)

Offline Kaiizen

• Best Painted Fire Warriors
Studies
« on: April 22, 2013, 10:44:03 AM »
With summer closing in around me, I'm starting to break back into an old project of mine. A sci-fi comic book that I have been developing for what feels like an eternity needs to be addressed soon. The problem is that I have constantly been re-envisioning my core style. It needs to be relatively simple to replicate and have a great sense of contrast as the entire series is likely to be in gray scale. So what I'm looking for is something that is graphic with a hint of realism but not so far as to go into photo realism. I want to create something emotive without going the route of manga with their 'over the top' facial expressions. I would appreciate feedback and even examples of work that you as individuals enjoy.

Nothing is created in a vacuum.

Here is an example of what I have been working on stylistically.

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
  • "Bees. My God" was an obscure Batman quote.
Re: Studies
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 09:16:15 PM »
Damn son! That's some nice internal shading right there!

Offline Kaiizen

• Best Painted Fire Warriors
Re: Studies
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 12:44:15 AM »
Thanks, the shading is actually rather simple to do.. Much of the work is done once figures are blocked out in various shades and plane changes are described as much by directional hatching as they are by value.  A drawing like this could be done in about an hour or even less so long as there is no background.