News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: I Return  (Read 3418 times)

Offline TheOnlySpiral

• Keeper of the Book of Salvation; Last of the Timelords
  • Ancient
  • Returned from the Immaterium
  • Armies: Deathwing
I Return
« on: July 23, 2015, 05:39:35 PM »
After a very, very long absence, I have returned to the hobby (and consequently, these boards). It's good to see the old stomping grounds still have people running around. Now all that being said, can anyone tell me what edition we're on and if I can still take an army solely composed of Terminators?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 06:12:19 PM by TheOnlySpiral »
Quote from: David Holland
The Point of the Game is to be Playing it.

Quote from: Devern, The Unsung Hero
Actually, it pains me to say this, but Spiral is right.

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
Re: I Return
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 06:24:13 PM »
7th Edition, and anyone can take an army composed entirely of Terminators, thanks to Unbound force organization. Something new in 7th.

That said, if you're playing Dark Angels, by the avatar, I'd say you can probably play a Battleforged version, as well.

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 07:11:51 PM »
Eeeyep, we're in 7th edition; the edition of Lords Of War, formations and unbound armies.  Welcome back to the hobby!

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2015, 09:07:53 PM »
There are many, many ways to field all terminator armies these days. If you like terminators, you should have fun.

That said, I think, ironically, there isn't a Battle-forged way to field nothing but Terminators in the DA book. At least, that's what I hear from GML.

Welcome back!

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2015, 11:54:10 PM »
100% Deathwing is not possible.  99% Deathwing + a Land Raider is legit.  Just... hide the massive warmachine and pray it doesn't get destroyed before turn two.

As was mentioned, we are on 7th edition now and the Dark Angels got a new codex about 2 weeks ago.  There is much love for many things and some pretty fun toys.  Deathwing are on the lower end of the fun stuff though, but if you need an excuse to build up your Ravenwing... oh buddy!

So many fun toys for them... so many...
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline TheOnlySpiral

• Ancient
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2015, 11:31:36 AM »
Are there any big changes I should know about before heading down to the FLGS? In 4th I ran Mono-Infantry even with Tactical Marines. Are we living in an age of tanks? I want to be prepared so I don't get swindled.

Offline Slick Samos

• Que!!
  • Armies: Tau, Dark Angels & Salamanders
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2015, 11:42:39 AM »
Welcome back!

We live in an age of fast moving games so Deathwing may suffer because of it...  However CML should sort out some of the fast tanks you'll face...

You might want to read this for more info about the current game format
Maelstrom vs Eternal War
Play more games, paint more models...

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2015, 12:12:02 PM »
Vehicles are very solid these days, but fold quickly in assault (for the most part). Due to the way vehicle damage is done now, you can expect to see a lot of plasma from some armies (S7 shooting is very handy for popping transports), which has the side effect of making Terminators unhappy.

On the plus side, CC weapons have an AP rating now, and *most* of them do not have AP2, so Termies in combat are often happy campers.

Offline TheOnlySpiral

• Ancient
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2015, 12:50:57 PM »
I love the look of the pre-heresy Dreadnoughts (Contemptors?) Is Forgeworld a thing I can actually use without people throwing a fit?

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2015, 01:02:19 PM »
I love the look of the pre-heresy Dreadnoughts (Contemptors?) Is Forgeworld a thing I can actually use without people throwing a fit?

Depends on who you play with. Generally, given that superheavies and flyers and gargantuan creatures have been incorporated into the *regular game* (yes, you heard that right), the resistance to Forge World has generally lessened. I mean, why gripe about a Contemptor Dread when that guy over there is fielding an army of nothing but Superheavy Walkers using a *tourney legal* codex (Imperial Knights, if you're curious).

Offline TheOnlySpiral

• Ancient
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2015, 01:04:36 PM »
Wait...so people are fielding armies of Titans and now we have actual fliers? Like Thunderhawks?  :o What game is this even...

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2015, 01:59:10 PM »
Wait...so people are fielding armies of Titans and now we have actual fliers? Like Thunderhawks?  :o What game is this even...

Well, like Thunderhawks, but generally smaller. The Space Marines have access to the Storm Raven and Storm Talon and the Dark Angels have two of their own special ones. Thunderhawks are still only available through Forge World.

Seriously, go and wander around GW's site for a little bit and see what's out there now. It'll blow your mind.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 02:04:07 PM by Wyddr »

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2015, 02:03:07 PM »

It's a game that upped it's game.  Imperial Knight armies are groups of mini titans with big guns and powerful shields.  The Eldar have the gigantic Wraithknight model to play with.  Orks have Stompas and Gorka/Morkanaughts.  Thunderhawks are still rare but it's little brother the Storm Raven is pretty common.  Almost every army has a couple of fliers to play with (usually a fighter and a bomber type).

Vehicle are pretty solid these days.  Almost everything can be taken in squadrons, they're harder to crack, and they can fire more weapons too.

Seriously, go and wander around GW's site for a little be and see what's out there now. It'll blow your mind.

Do that, then pick up your jaw and come back to us with your thoughts.  ;)

Offline TheOnlySpiral

• Ancient
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2015, 03:52:05 PM »
Sculpt Quality (especially details) has gone up. Way up. It looks (and sounds) like foot slogging has given way to at least partial mechanization. It also looks like Heavy Weapons are a lot more important (Grav??) because everyone has super-heavy vehicles. So overall: This looks like everyone just plays Apocalypse every game. Which might not be a problem actually. Although I am pretty excited because the new Veterans and new Terminators are absolutely beslubbering beautiful. As is that new chappy actually.

Are our IC better than they were in 4th at least?

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2015, 03:55:01 PM »
Are our IC better than they were in 4th at least?

Issuing challenges to each other, gaining bonus protection from their units...yeah, they're pretty good these days.  :)

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2015, 03:55:34 PM »
...because everyone has super-heavy vehicles. So overall: This looks like everyone just plays Apocalypse every game.

Note: Not actually true. In my group we don't play Lords of War (Superheavies) without prior approval from the opponent and they are often banned from local tournaments.

That said, you *can* see them a lot, depending on your local metagame.

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2015, 05:16:03 PM »
And if your buddy happened to buy 4 of the damned Knights, becuase he liked the model. And then you're all poo-holed.

But after about 10 games, I've found that I can usually handle 2 as an uphill battle.

Flyers are still handy, but for some reason less balls-out amazing than they were in 6th. I can't really quantify why, but their overall power level has dropped a bit. Except for Storm Talons, that were already good and then got smacked with steroids this go-round.

The DA dex is quite good. I had a chance to flip through it quickly. "Bike" types are very well suited to 7th edition, at least in my meta, and DA have... the best? 2nd best? Bike units in the game. Refer to re-rollable Jink saves, coupled with Skilled Rider. And then look at the skimmer that boosts nearby cover saves.

2+ Rerollable cover saves = hilarity ensues. Sure, your shooting then kind of sucks, but those Raven Knights of Doom get a useful cc weapon, and you can always give the sarge a Pointy Stick, or something. Oh, and Hit and Run...

And Necrons... and the Post Decurion detachment rules. 7th gets unglued without a sense of restraint these days.

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2015, 06:59:13 PM »
2+ Rerollable cover saves = hilarity ensues. Sure, your shooting then kind of sucks, but those Raven Knights of Doom get a useful cc weapon, and you can always give the sarge a Pointy Stick, or something. Oh, and Hit and Run...
They are the best... just leave it at that.  The Black Knights are so much fun.  While expensive, they are an answer to everything in one way or another.

And Necrons... and the Post Decurion detachment rules. 7th gets unglued without a sense of restraint these days.
I'd say this is the biggest complaint I hear about the way the game has evolved.  Every codex that has been released this edition dedicates some space to Formations.  While you can still build a list around the standard HQ/2 troops (now called Combined Arms), there is great benefits to using the formations as they give you additional special rules for free, as long as you follow their restrictive unit selection.  Add in that the main codices (not off-shoots like Harlequins and Skitarii) have been following the trend of having a detachment that gives you a huge bonus for building your list around a specific set of formations.  For the Dark Angels, it makes them the masters of Overwatch.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline TheOnlySpiral

• Ancient
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2015, 11:39:25 PM »
Is that like overwatch in Necromunda where you gave up your shooting (but not move) and could interrupt the other player's turn with shooting?

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2015, 11:44:00 PM »
No, it's stand and shoot from fantasy.
I knew I had fans!!!