News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1500 CAD ultramarines!!  (Read 1241 times)

Offline Rx8Speed

1500 CAD ultramarines!!
« on: July 9, 2015, 10:32:08 AM »

HQ
Tigurius
techmarine: conversion beamer

ASSAULT units (they don't get the full re-rolls but re-rolling 1s is still nice.
Ironclad dreadnought: 2x heavy flamers, drop pod
Ironclad dreadnought: 2x heavy flamers, drop pod

Tactical units
Tactical Squad: 10x marines, plasma gun, combi-plasma, grav cannon, rhino
Tactical Squad: 10x marines, grav gun, combi-grav, grav cannon, melta bomb, drop pod

Devastator units
Centurion Devastator Squad: 3x Lascannons, 3x Missile Launchers, Omniscope
Devastator Squad: 5x marines, 2x lascannons, 2x Missile Launchers w/ FLAKK

Tiggy rolls on biomancy or divination depending on how badly I need the cents to ignore cover. Centurions and devastators hang out with the techmarines in 3+ ruins. Depending on the army I'm against I will probably drop both ironclads turn 1. If I really need the grav weapons and I roll endurance with tiggy then maybe I'll drop the grav squad on the first turn. (just realized while typing this how awesome endurance would be on that grav unit. 25 shots, almost half of them grav and the rest bolters with combat doctrines will devastate any infantry unit I can think of

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
Re: 1500 CAD ultramarines!!
« Reply #1 on: July 9, 2015, 10:48:51 AM »
Small problem here: Both Drop Pods and Rhinos have a Capacity of 10. Where is Tiggy to hang out? He can't go with the Tac Squads and, if you're dropping them, there's a good chance they'll be out of range of Endurance anyway.

Because you'll need to keep Tiggy with the Cents or the Devs, I think you're going to have trouble getting the most out of him. Well, unless the Tacs are dropping relatively close to your lines (which is possible, but also limiting).

Final note: If you're playing Ultramarines Tactics, I would generally advise against Devastators as not the most efficient units. If you want anti-air, for the points you could buy a Stalker and still have plenty left over for something like a scout squad or some other stuff.

Barring that, you could also get yourself a Storm Talon with Skyhammer missiles and have a nice anti-air and ground support unit at the same time. 

Offline Rx8Speed

« Reply #2 on: July 9, 2015, 11:00:42 AM »
Why would devs not be good as ultramarines? With the combat doctrines it actually seems like one of the better chapters to run them in? 1 turn of re-rolls plus another turn of re-rolling 1s. I wanted the devs and only put the flakk missiles on them because I realized I need some form of anti-air in the army and it only cost me 20 points. I feel this army is going to be pretty heavily countered by armies with multiple flyers but I'm ok with that since I don't see many in my area. The most I see  is usually 2 and my more common opponents will use 0-1.

Also if the other army isn't going to come to me then I'll roll on divination with tiggy and hopefully get some ignores cover and re-rolls to help with my anti-air problem.

If I wanted some extra anti-air I would probably drop the techmarine for an ADL with an icarus lascannon.
« Last Edit: July 9, 2015, 11:02:50 AM by Rx8Speed »

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #3 on: July 9, 2015, 11:18:55 AM »
You get a modest boost in accuracy (+10%) for two turns on a unit that is either very fragile (5 bodies) or very expensive (bigger unit) when you'd be better served taking heavy weapons on more durable or faster platforms (Predators, Flyers, Centurions, Attack Bikes, etc.).

I would only bother with Devs in Imperial Fist tactic armies, since Tank Hunters makes them *much* better. I wouldn't really bother with Flakk missiles (or missile launchers) at all unless I had nothing else to spend the points on.

The good thing about taking something like a Stalker or a Storm Talon is that they are better anti-air than the Flakk missiles and they *also* do a good job of shooting things on the ground.

Feel free to try them out. I was always underwhelmed with Devs until the advent of the Fists's Chapter Tactics. They are cheaper these days than they were in 5th edition, anyway. I'm not convinced there isn't something more effective for the points, though.   

Offline Rx8Speed

« Reply #4 on: July 9, 2015, 11:42:10 AM »
You are probably right. But they'll be in 3+ cover so they're sturdyish, and hopefully the centurions with juicy tig will draw some fire power. I could also use the techmarine in the dev squad to either LOS or take wounds on his 2+ armor.

You are also the storm talon is certainly better anti-air that the devs and is OK at shooting things on the ground. I prefer to have something that is good at shooting stuff on the ground and OK at anti-air. Also I wouldn't call the stalker ok at shooting things on the ground, I would probably call it amphetamine parrott at shooting things on the ground. Certainly no-where enar as good as devs are at anti-air.

EDIT: the other thing I suppose I should mention is that I don't want to invest $$$ into exclusive anti-air units because I eventually plan to run an imperial knight with AA guns
« Last Edit: July 9, 2015, 11:48:03 AM by Rx8Speed »

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #5 on: July 9, 2015, 12:04:56 PM »
Oh! Right--I was thinking 6th Edition and how Interceptor let you use full BS against ground units. I take that back--I was thinking of older rules. Happens to me a lot in 7th (considering that the two editions were barely 18 months apart!).