News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Eldar Corsairs, Pre-Heresy Dark Angels + World Eaters  (Read 330730 times)

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
Re: Eldar Corsairs, Pre-Heresy Dark Angels + World Eaters
« Reply #1900 on: March 13, 2020, 08:33:47 PM »
I'll quickly sum up my opinion on all those images for you, Cav: magnificence :). I love the sorceress / farseer and she might be my favorite. It blows  my mind how you've done the skin on her!
JohnMaloneBooks website - Blog #3 - From Novella to Novel

- 5/5 Reader's Favorite Review!

A Sanctum of Swords: Embers Edition is coming soon w/ audiobook!

Offline Nutty

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
  • Armies: Craftworld Eldar, Imperial Guard, Tau
« Reply #1901 on: March 14, 2020, 06:45:15 AM »
Cool stuff; they all look great, but those reapers are my favourite.

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #1902 on: March 15, 2020, 03:58:29 PM »
Wow awesome stuff Cavalier.

Comparing some of your previous posts to this one either your photography has changed, or the way you paint gold as changed. In this latest post your gold is out of this world and it seems to be glowing/luminescent. Whatever the reason it looks fantastic.
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #1903 on: March 16, 2020, 07:07:27 AM »
wow, sooo many nice things, I love the small deepkin helmets on the spears, and man white, just looks great.

Yvraine on the WK scatter shield is a cleaver use of odd base size.

The heavy weapon Corsair with the surge head look sick.

I know I'm weird but I really love the detail on the warp hunters, having the power in the vanes around the big oval is a super nice bit of detail.

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #1904 on: March 17, 2020, 08:17:28 AM »
@Dread- Thanks so much my friend. I missed chatting too. So glad you are enjoy the Drukhari man. I went through so MAJOR bad times with the death of Corsairs and my Drukhari saved my butt big time. Thanks on the Spears man I’ll get some glamor shots up soon. Yeah if you ever get a chance flip through the Harlequin 7th ed. book there are tons of great sample paint schemes. I like the quartered themes myself. But anyway glad to be back man and thanks for the kind words.

@Myen’Tal- Thanks so much man it really means a lot. Yeah I’ve got a super easy way of doing skin… I bought empty paint pots and mixed a 1:3 ratio of Reikland Fleshwash and Lahmian medium and I put it right over the primer and just do a bit of touch up and highlight with Pallid Wych flesh. Thanks man I appreciate the kind words and thanks for keeping the hobby torch burning bright here on the forum!

@Nutty- Thanks man, glad you like them. I’ve got more added to the mix and a couple more to paint but I’m happy with them too!

@Alienscar- Thanks so much buddy. Yeah I actually do have a new camera and studio lights so the photos aren’t so dingy anymore. Also I have changed the way I do gold just slightly. I’ve been using the Retributor Gold as always, but I highlight it with Model Color Gold from Vallejo and it works really well to make the gold even brighter! Thanks so much bud.

@Magenb- Thanks so much man I really appreciate the kind words, especially on those Warp Hunters. I really pushed myself super hard to make them look as a good as I can because they are my favorite vehicles in the Asuryani line. I really want to get a 3rd one soon! But thanks man!

@Everybody- As per Myen’Tal’s request here as some highlights of the Daughters of Khaine project. I actually added some DoK models to my own collection too as counts-as Grotesques for Drukhari… which I’ll explain in a future post. But here you go!

What was cool was the client basically wanted me to replicate what I had already done on the Moratahi I painted for FLG awhile back (which you can see on the FLG homepage banner) but I darkened up the scheme a bit using the BRILLIANT Gal Vorbak red which if given a chance to do it all again, would be the base color for my Eldar. But really happy with how the project came out. Shipping out the final bits today!

Anyway thanks for stopping by guys and I'll have updates soon. I'm in the process of moving (I just packed up all my models yesterday) on to an awesome new house with an awesome workshop I'll show you guys soon. Stay tuned!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #1905 on: March 17, 2020, 09:12:57 AM »
As always, your work with red is excellent.  The shading is spot on and the depth and quality of the colour is outstanding.  This is fantastic painting.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #1906 on: March 17, 2020, 09:25:26 AM »
Absolutely grand work, Cav, I'm in love with those Daughters of Khaine (a dangerous prospect, I know lol)!

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #1907 on: March 17, 2020, 02:00:40 PM »
Holy beep! So jealous, the DoK are sweet as hell. Mine are still half finished and look like crap. I'm going to get my spears done then back to my sisters. I got going great guns on them and then life happened.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #1908 on: March 17, 2020, 04:15:34 PM »
holy smokes, they're even wearing makeup!

Offline Nutty

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
  • Armies: Craftworld Eldar, Imperial Guard, Tau
« Reply #1909 on: March 19, 2020, 04:34:26 AM »
That scheme is extra striking in combination with that pale skin. You've got a really good looking army there.

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #1910 on: March 19, 2020, 07:53:19 PM »
@Myen'Tal- Thanks man. Yeah I love these girls. I've got a couple of Melusai as counts-as Grotesques for my Drukhari. After reading the DoK book (I read all the lore cover to cover in a single sitting) the whole bit about Morathi rescuining Elven souls from Slaanesh inspired me do something similar... in that Ynnead rescued Eldar souls from Slaanesh and the result was the same. I think it fits in with my slightly fantasy-tinged Aeldari collection. EDIT: Its actually kinda weird as the Melusai actually have the Ynnead rune on their armor

@Nutty- Thanks man. Yeah I've gone down the path of doing that quiet a bit and really like how it looks. I did the same thing on my counts-as Y'vraine.

@Dread- Thanks so much buddy glad you dig them!

@Irisado- Thanks so much Irisado, always appreciate you stopping by and super glad you like my new stuff it always means a lot.

@Everybody- So I probably wont get a chance to paint anything till next Friday or so, as all my painting gear is packed up for my big move, but I did want to share what I was working on. I'm doing a painting challenge I call the "Core in 4" challenge with the patreons for my podcast (but open to everybody to participate in) where we are painting up a new core of units for a new list we want to try running in 4 months. It doesnt matter if its half-painted models or new on sprue. For myself its adding 3x Fire Prisms to my Asuryani and 3x Ravagers to my Drukhari (although I may swap out 2 Ravagers for a Razorwing and a Voidraven). So I've got the first Prism done and these are the two newest entries. Hopefully I'll get them done in the next 2 weeks! However after this challenge is over, I'm moving on to Harlequins and putting a very few minor additions to my World Eaters army and that should take me through summer. I'm so excited to start a proper Harlequins army. I've had tremendous success with just a small patrol of them and cant wait to see what more of them can do. Wont get a chance to paint until at least the 28th, but wanted to share what I've been working. Talk to you guys soon!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 07:58:43 PM by Cavalier »

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #1911 on: March 24, 2020, 11:31:01 PM »
EDIT: Its actually kinda weird as the Melusai actually have the Ynnead rune on their armor

Morai-Heg might be the link there.

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #1912 on: April 4, 2020, 10:18:38 AM »
Welcome back Can...your time away has had me hungry for more Cav-inspired deliciousness...and you certainly haven't disappointed.

All the work is simply jaw-dropping. That said, the Morathi is easily my favourite. The use of Gal Vorbak red is inspired and gives even more depth to what is a superb model. Simply stunning.

Those Harlequins? Oof they're good. Really good.
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #1913 on: April 7, 2020, 11:49:15 AM »

So after completing the most hellacious house moving project ever, I'm back in the saddle. I was doing a painting challenge with my listeners where we were painting up some units to complete a list we wanted to play over the long term. With GW shutdown I couldn't get the models I needed, so I looked into the collection and made some decisions.

Hornets have been amazing for me once again and now I'm going to strip the ones I painted for my Umbral Watchers and put them back into the Lions of Asuryan fleet. I'm gonna do 2x more for the challenge, I have a 3rd I can repaint to start my second squadron of 3. I'm gonna use them as allies for my Drukhari as well and recapture the Corsair magic, with a fleet of Venoms and Hornets. Should be really visually cool, fluffy and hard hitting on the table.

Also for my Wraithwall I'm adding a Wraithseer. I got this guy in something like 6th ed, but now that I've built up a very large collection of Ghost units I want one to lead the charge. I'm gonna supplement with another unit of 5 axe and shield guy to get a full squad of 10 painted in my current scheme. My original 5 will eventually get stripped and repainted in my updated scheme.

Also working on a Drazhar conversion. I'm gonna pop the head off thats currently on, and put the same Sylvaneth head (or at least the hair) on him, so they'll match. Its supposed to be the same character in a different pose and armor, so I really want them to match.

Really looking forward to getting stuck in with my own models again. I've spent so much time painting other people's models, it's gonna feel great getting back to my own army and putting some classic units on the table and really punching up the theme of my army. Cant wait!

@Looshkin- Thanks so much man it really means a lot. Thanks so much on the Morathii, the entire DoK army took me about 5 months to finish and was my most ambitious commission ever (in terms of amount of models), so when it came to the big models I really wanted to punch them up a few notches from the line troopers, so I'm glad you like it.

Thanks on the Harlies too. I just love painting them. Now that I got the diamond thing down they are really a joy to paint. I like going one model at a time too, so it works for my process.

Anyway thanks so much man, appreciate the kind words, always means a lot.

Offline Dread

• Warlock
« Reply #1914 on: April 7, 2020, 03:24:07 PM »
You are putting the d-cannon on your seer, right? Oh boy, it's gonna be cool. Glad you got your move done, it's nice to get things back to semi-normal I'm sure.

You may have everyone else fooled but I know you have that painting fairie on retainer doing those diamonds. BWAHAHA, like the one doing your faces, I remember from awhile back. Haha.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #1915 on: April 7, 2020, 05:15:48 PM »
Moving house isn't great but must have been a real pain during all this virus mess.
ooo wraithseer, keen to see what you do one that one :)

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #1916 on: April 8, 2020, 08:37:42 AM »
Sweet conversions in progress, Cav! Really wanting to see that Drazhar stand in painted! Lovely Wraithseer!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #1917 on: May 5, 2020, 01:08:28 PM »
Hey guys been awhile, but I've had literally ZERO time to paint anything for myself. I've been working 7 days a week for almost 9 months now and its been a super grind. Hopefully that'll end soon, but I gotta keep grinding till its over!

However I did finish my 3rd Hornet and I couldn't be happier. I'm so glad I dived back and re-habbed literally ALL my Corsair stuff. Everything has now been completely repainted (except my Nightwing/Razorwing conversion now that I think of it) and I couldn't be happier.

Thought I'd put up a collage of all my favorites and the core of my most current list. Hope you enjoy!!!

P.S.: I took the picture of the Hornets before I corrected some of the vehicle markings, but one of the things I wanted to do was get pilot badges on all my vehicles, and the Iyanden flame of Asuryan is the visual shorthand glyph for my Lions of Asuryan (I gotta get small White Lions symbols printed up). Got the kill markings on their and everything. Anyway enjoy!

Offline Dread

• Warlock
« Reply #1918 on: May 5, 2020, 07:53:30 PM »
Sweet as always! 8) glad to see you around here. Your quins are beautiful, jealous.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #1919 on: May 5, 2020, 08:34:09 PM »
It all looks wonderful, Cav! I love the shining spears the most, as they're tied for my favorite aspect warriors alongside the Striking Scorpions.

Keep it up! :)