News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: The Junkyard: Gitz it Done Event II  (Read 18957 times)

Offline angel of death 007

• Dreadbash Warboss | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
The Junkyard: Gitz it Done Event II
« on: October 1, 2012, 09:54:42 AM »
Welcome to the Junkyard, fellow orks.   It is that time for a long honored ork tradition.   Previously known as the Scrapyard Build Off, it was engineered by our own mek mastermind Dropfall.   Unfortuneately Dropfall has got lost in the warp and no ork has seen him since.

So in the late Dropfall's honor, we bring you the Gitz it Done Event.   For all of you newbies and onlookers who weren't lucky enough to be amongst our ranks prior, it is an event in which you get to complete that hunk of gray plastic, half built, half painted, project.  Either that or it is a good time to raid your recycling bin and put your thinking caps on.   

The rules are simple... 
1.) Pledge a project on this page.   The project will need to be completed by the end of the month.
2.) Photograph or list your starting point.  This will give everyone an idea of what you are pledging.  If it is a NIB item which you are planning to build/ paint then there isn't a need, unless you are konverting.
3.) Work on your project, you can show work in progress pics or list what you are doing. (everyone likes to see these)
4.) Once your project is finished it MUST be posted with a picture prior to the start of the next month.   
5.) Collect your teef.

Seems easy enough right, even for a horde of orks to follow.   Where is the catch....
ah yes we need one of those.   Since this event is to get you off your no good, bottoms and get that box, closet or room full of neglected orks finished there is a catch.

Anything you pledge and do not finish.  You will be fined half the total amount of teef you could have earned.   

Now since I am not quite as Mad as the Dok.  Here are the two ways that one can count their project as complete.
1.)  A large amount of konversions or a large scratchbuild project will be considered finished for scoring if the full konversion is done in a month
2.) Everything else pledged must be fully built and painted.  No excuses you weedy gitz.

If you are too yellow to participate, then don't be green with envy when your fellow boyz start to stack their teef up.   This would be a good time for all you Weedy Gitz to redeem yourselves, yes you do know who you are.

Teef will be awarded based on size of the model or unit pledged, degree of konversion done, and finished product.   

So raid your closests and let the Gitz R Done Event off with a bang.   Lets show 40konline just what a real ork Junkyard looks like.   WAAAAAAAAAAGGGGHHHH H.

Project Pledgers and their projects for Orktober.

Offline Baron Wastelands

• Loota
  • Orks/Necrons in 6th
Re: The Junkyard: Gitz it Done Event II
« Reply #1 on: October 1, 2012, 02:05:42 PM »
Well I completely stalled last month with just 1 biker and no looting; for which I have summarily executed the Nob in charge. So since it's Orktober, I'll use Gitz it Done to try and get myself back on track . . . and I'm going to optimistically pledge the following:

4 WarBikers (to go with the one already done)
5 WarBikers
1 converted Wazdakka
1 converted Biker nob with PK(s!)

All are built but unpainted save that the first 4 have an undercoat - just tried to take a photo and my camera battery is dead, so will charge and photo tomorrow.
All are converted to some extent, but the most converted are Waz and the Nob, both of which I'm happy with, so I hope painting does them justice.

Yellow is the new Green . . .

Offline CheesyRobMan

• Burna Mek
« Reply #2 on: October 1, 2012, 02:24:05 PM »
I'd love to take part in this, but I'm not going to put my name down just yet. I'm not being yellow, our house is having a lot of work done to it and I have no idea how much access I'll have to my painting area/stuff. Most of my Orks are currently invading a mate's house while the work is going on (he's a panzee Eldar player so they shouldn't have much trouble).

However, I did get given one of the new jets for my birthday over the summer, and it's still in the box (again, house upheaval to blame) so if it turns out that I do have time, I'll get painting  :)
"Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!" - Marvin the Martian

Offline adamscurr

• Mega Armored Biker Boss
  • Armies: Evil Sunz, Crimson Fists
« Reply #3 on: October 1, 2012, 04:45:25 PM »
Well...  Since I have a tourney coming up...  I might as well pledge the stuff I plan to have done by November 4th...  Here it is...  Pics incoming...

Finish 1 grot missle/Kannon
Finish sponsons on Battle wagon
Add Kannon to Battle wagon
Complete Flakk gunz on Big Trakk
Paint Dakka Jet

Adam

Cause We's Da Orks, and You's Not!!!

Offline OD from TV

• Ork Warlord | Title of Doom status: pending | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #4 on: October 2, 2012, 04:17:12 AM »
Ok everyone remember that in this event the only competition is your own abilities and Father Time.  That said I do not advice crazy hard projekts  *looks back at my own contributions to past Scrapyard and Junkyard events*... err, don't take me as an example on that.

I've actually wracked my brain all day for which of my unfinished projects to take to this Junkyard, and there still isn't a definitive answer for me, nothing really sticking out and saying "this is the one I gotta do", unlike the last couple with my crazy Kan and Dread projekts.  So take this as a placeholder of sorts, I know I'm gonna play my part in this event, just don't know what I'm gonna bring to the table so to speak (which is bad as I usually only finish these events right up at the deadline, again don't take me as an example on what to do with these events!).

Peace
~OD
Truly beautiful work. That's the kind of stuff that makes a true mekanik cry tears of joy.
OD, you once again prove that your are still the freakin Da Vinci of plasticard

Offline Baron Wastelands

• Loota
  • Orks/Necrons in 6th
« Reply #5 on: October 2, 2012, 05:38:01 PM »
Ok, this is a first stage/starting point pic - all I did last night was to do the metal effect on the front 5; I usually do vehicles by painting all metal and then build everything up from there.

Yellow is the new Green . . .

Offline Dralith

• never say dice
  • Armies: Craftworld Bionerath and Badtoof's Moonstompas
« Reply #6 on: October 2, 2012, 10:16:33 PM »
I recently came into possession of an O&G army, so I'll be tearing up all my boys and retooling them with fantasy bits. There's no way I'll be painting 100 boys by the end of the month though, especially since I need my desk clear for studying as much as possible. In order to have something painted to show, I'll also be properly looting the Russ that's been grating at me for not making looted September. To the same end, there's the beginnings of a nob biker gang that wants to show off for unit of the month.

So all up that's

100 mix-n-match boys
3 nob bikers
1 boomwagon

The bikers and wagon will be painted for sure, and so will the boys.
« Last Edit: October 4, 2012, 02:03:15 AM by Dralith »
And Oromë loved the Quendi, and named them in their own tongue Eldar, the people of the stars.

Offline OD from TV

• Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #7 on: October 3, 2012, 07:32:38 AM »
Dralith I ask that you choose your words carefully.  I know that it is possible to complete a huge project such as the 100 boyz you list, but it is something that is NOT easy.  Yes I read your post in full and I know that you don't plan on doing the painting of all those boyz, but this thread is really for everything to be at the 'finished' state, as in built and painted.  More over is that...

Anything you pledge and do not finish.  You will be fined half the total amount of teef you could have earned.

I'm not saying "don't do it", just make sure to budget your time well, as this thread is all about getting to that finished work.  I do tip my hat to you Dralith and wish you the best of luck.  The only other person that comes to my mind with project ideas more insane than mine was Athaga and I haven't seen him around for a good while.

In a related note, just a general question I'm putting out there, if I was to say build a convert two of those Dakka Jets out of 40-60% of the standard kit would I have to base them?  I ask has its the first idea I've had that sounds good for my own contribution to the thread (as well as the first unfinished project box I pulled out), but am at a lack of ideas on how I'd base them (don't have the flying stand and I'm not paying 10 bucks each for one, of course if anyone has any ideas I'm open to suggestion, after all that's why that project got shelved in the first place.)

Peace
~OD
Truly beautiful work. That's the kind of stuff that makes a true mekanik cry tears of joy.

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
« Reply #8 on: October 3, 2012, 11:04:39 AM »
OK, I am in, I have a "few" projects that need getting done, and had to decide.

So I am going to finish off 90 boys, and my newest warboss with big choppa.

The warboss is already about 75% done so that will be fairly easy. (edit: Done)
     Three squads of 30 boys each with a nob that has a PK and BP, These will take a bit more as they are assembled and primed but just in the box waiting. (edit: Done) LINK

I am also throwin in 30 grots with three herders. They too are assembled and primed, just waiting for me to find a "round tooit" laying around. (edit: Done) LINK

Then I am also adding in 35 cultists that will be Diggas and an ork boss that will count as a chaos lord. (edit: Done) LINK

I know, I know, that most of you are shocked that a dedicated speed freak such as myself would undertake such a project. A while back I was challenged by one of my local nid players to out hoard him, so I put together as many orks as I could find and fielded them against him. I had 206 models on the table vs his 168 models in a 2k game, I even used Ghaz and ten nobs just to use up the points. So now I have a lot of boys that need painting, I did use up some by making four drive by squads during our shoota boy month, but now I guess I must get on it and get them all painted.

I will of course post pictures once I get started on them.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 12:59:54 PM by SKEETERGOD »
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline Respekt

• Ork Boy
  • Armies: Orks and maybe a fotm ;)
« Reply #9 on: October 3, 2012, 05:54:46 PM »
Nice, time to gets it done. I need to convert some lootas for my deffskulls, Unfortunately I already started and have 1 conversion (I plan on converting 10).

So, I guess I pledge 9 lootas and a converted (just a couple o armor plates) aegis.

I already have 14 lootas, but the models are sooo bland for a unit that steals anything. So, I'm planning on having at least one bit from another army for each loota.

so heres the start, the other 9 are just boyz currently.

I also wanna convert some kannon big guns, but I wont make that ambitious pledge just yet lol.
Cheers,

Respekt

Offline adamscurr

• Mega Armored Biker Boss
  • Armies: Evil Sunz, Crimson Fists
« Reply #10 on: October 3, 2012, 07:11:33 PM »
I bought a flying stand on ebay for about 4 bucks...  You just have to watch for a bit...

Adam

Cause We's Da Orks, and You's Not!!!

Offline Dralith

• never say dice
« Reply #11 on: October 4, 2012, 01:57:58 AM »
Dralith I ask that you choose your words carefully.  I know that it is possible to complete a huge project such as the 100 boyz you list, but it is something that is NOT easy.  Yes I read your post in full and I know that you don't plan on doing the painting of all those boyz, but this thread is really for everything to be at the 'finished' state, as in built and painted.  More over is that...

I'm not saying "don't do it", just make sure to budget your time well, as this thread is all about getting to that finished work.  I do tip my hat to you Dralith and wish you the best of luck.  The only other person that comes to my mind with project ideas more insane than mine was Athaga and I haven't seen him around for a good while.
~OD

After careful consideration, I have decided to heed your advice as an ork would. Pledge edited accordingly.
And Oromë loved the Quendi, and named them in their own tongue Eldar, the people of the stars.

Offline CheesyRobMan

• Burna Mek
« Reply #12 on: October 4, 2012, 04:12:10 AM »
@Dralith - you're nuts, but in a good way  :)  looking forward to seeing how your project goes. And if you do pull it off, I think you should get bonus Madboy teef for Most Insane Project  ;)

@Respekt - that Ork is tooled up! Great looking Loota, can't wait to see the others.

@Baron Wastelands - always enjoy looking at your stuff, interesting that you start with the metal effect, I do it the other way around. Will be good to see how it is done.
"Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!" - Marvin the Martian

Offline Ork E Nuff

• Ork Boy
  • 'ere WE go, 'ere WE go, 'ere WE go!!!!!
  • Armies: Orks, SM (occassionally)
« Reply #13 on: October 4, 2012, 03:04:25 PM »
Ok...tossing my hat in the ring:  I pledge the following:

1. Zzap gun battery:  3 guns with crew & runtherd - oop lifta guns x3, nib grots and runtherd
2. truck/trak vehicle:  based on WWII halftrack - optional flakfun/rokkit launchas
3. junka (IA8):  based on WWII tracked field gun - optional KFF mount
4. 5 nobz: NIB
5. 4 nobz: converted from bits and other companies line of orks
6. Terrain:  Da Drops - converted/scratch built dangerous terrain

Sounds like a lot.  I think I can do it.  Any comments appreciated.

...now...where's me xacto?...
Blood n Guts is nuffin more dan bio-d-gradible axle grease.....Remember, that which does not kill you, will only try harder the next time...I've named me attack squig "Skippy"....is that wrong?

Offline Ginger farseer

• Ork Yoof
  • Armies: Space wolves, Eldar, Orks
« Reply #14 on: October 4, 2012, 03:10:31 PM »
I pledge:

Konvert and paint 5 rokkit buggies (from old AOBR koptas)
paint 3 Kanz
paint 1 warboss
Paint 1 deff dread
Paint 4 lootas
build 1 orky building, a watchtower type of thing probably, but the end product might be different. if I don't paint the building, it still counts as finished, right?
1 wagon
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 03:59:45 PM by Ginger farseer »
Be nice to nerds, you'll probably be working for them.

What if by 'fly you fools'  Gandalf was actually telling the fellowship to call the eagles and fly to Mordor?

"Thunder rolled... It rolled a six"

+++Melon melon melon+++
+++out of cheese error redo from start+++
+++Divide by cucumber error. Please reinstall universe and reboot+++

Offline Boss Ard'Ragger

• Ork Yoof
  • Da Boyz Rock!!!
  • Armies: The Boyz, IG, Eldar,DE, Tau, GK, some SM
« Reply #15 on: October 4, 2012, 04:08:25 PM »
Oh man I def a Yoof this month.  Due to work and family commitments this month I cannot pledge a single thing.  My 1st unit of burnas are done, my Dakka Wing  Fighta is done, my Burna is almost done (basing) and my 1st unit of bikers are done.  If it changes in the next couple of weeks I will def try and get involved, (as I wish to)  8)
You Boyz wanna live forever?!  Waaaaagh!

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
« Reply #16 on: October 5, 2012, 11:18:48 AM »
Well then, a running start on the list pledged

Here you see the boss is 90% done, just some baseing and little more touch up

Here you see the first squad is done, the seven on the right are a little darker as they were semi started and laying around in the bitz box for a long time, I just got them painted to match all the others. The ink is still wet in this picture as I had to go to work.

Here I tried to do a close up so you can see I did teef as well as the eyes, (and holsters, and armbands, etc)

That squad with boss mixed in took just over nine hours of painting. Next week I have three days off, so I should be able to get the other two squads done as well as the grots  ;D

« Last Edit: October 5, 2012, 11:22:16 AM by SKEETERGOD »
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline angel of death 007

• Dreadbash Warboss | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #17 on: October 5, 2012, 07:05:10 PM »
In a related note, just a general question I'm putting out there, if I was to say build a convert two of those Dakka Jets out of 40-60% of the standard kit would I have to base them?  I ask has its the first idea I've had that sounds good for my own contribution to the thread (as well as the first unfinished project box I pulled out), but am at a lack of ideas on how I'd base them (don't have the flying stand and I'm not paying 10 bucks each for one, of course if anyone has any ideas I'm open to suggestion, after all that's why that project got shelved in the first place.)

I would say the answer to this should be "Yes" as a model isn't really finished til it is based.    As far as basing goes though you could use a round base with either a fake tree or stick like tree or even an old ruin with a clear flight stand or a metal wire that leads up to the model.   Or even a really big nail and put a magnet on the bottom of the plane.   

I am in the same boat as you, I bought one plane and then bought a few bitz to convert another.   But as my house is still in shambles as I am getting both bathrooms done and the kitchen redone, i don't have a work space at all.   Everything from the cabinets is everywhere.  So not sure what I am going to try to get done,  I would love to do a flyer but I doubt I will have time.   Maybe I will paint my 2nd battlewagon or my mega dread, as they both need some paint.
I will just see when the renovation gets done.

As far as 100 boyz go.......    Honestly I will say it is impossible.   I did 30 one month and it took all my sanity, between painting them and basing them.   My limit is usually 20 and even at that, it gets a bit tedious. 

Offline OD from TV

• Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #18 on: October 5, 2012, 09:31:56 PM »
Thanks AoD.  You're right in that a model needs to be based, and until you wrote those suggestions I didn't have any clue as to what/how I was gonna do it, I'm definitely going to take that advice!  And good luck with the renovation, that's an incredible amount of work.

As for the 100 boys it seems that Skeetergod is off to an amazing kick start.  That much quality paint in 9 hours makes me balk, its way better than I could have pulled off in that time frame.  Heck it could be an interesting WotW betting pool to see who would finish first between Skeetergod and Dralith, although with Skeetergod's last post that idea is blown out of the water.

Anyway I am signing up for the DakkaJets, this time unlike the last Junkyard I'm only planning on making 2 from one kit, the bits box is still looking quite a bit empty since the last event, and I can't even really compete with Skeetergod or Dralith for the most insane project this go around.

Starting Point

This is the so far pic, using two bits of PVC, the one used for kans and dreads is on top, and it is measured out at only a few centimeters below the width of the standard kit's frame (this will soon be fixed with the addition of more card and bits.  I remember when I put it together that it was a lot of work cutting the pipe and getting it to stay attached (but thankfully that's done!).
The front nozzle needs to be trimmed down and filled off to the same (or similar) arc as the standard kit (thank the lord for the Dremel), and as for other bits for the projekt I have most of the Bomma kit (some parts have mysteriously gone missing, I think there might be a Deathskull or a sneaky Grot around my place), as well as some bits from DE Raiders and Jetbikes, and I can't make a konversion without some Leman Russ bits (I don't know what I'll do when they take that sprue off the special order list).

So... 25 days.  This is gonna be interesting (and probably difficult).  At least I don't have a 9-5 job to distract me (trying to look on the brighter side of unemployment).

Peace
~OD

Offline Dralith

• never say dice
« Reply #19 on: October 6, 2012, 02:20:37 AM »
Well, skeetergod did have a head start with assembly and priming, but being goff (for now) should speed things up a bit. However, I'm handicapping myself further due to the fact that I have a game on Tuesday, and then a test on Thursday so I'm holding off on pulling apart the regular boys. Besides, I have to buy some more glue.

I must admit the basing aspect slipped my mind, but luckily I got a whole lot of flock and static grass with the orcs and goblins. Now I'm trying to decide whether to go for desert, grassland or snow.

Meanwhile I've found enough round bases to stick them all on luckily; had to cannibalize from my guardians though. No matter, I'm planning on getting stupenny shuffley resin bases for that project anyway. Also I'm tidying up the bits for the new boys: clean all the mould lines!

In addition, the biker nobs are at the doc, and their rides are with the meks, who are also busy sticking scrap plasticard on the Russ to patch up the holes they had to put in it to stop it moving long enough to nick it in the first place.

The size of this project still hasn't quite hit me: I know it's daunting but I don't feel daunted. I guess I'm in denial.

Oh yeah, hopefully I can borrow a camera so as to give yous the ocular proof.