News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Ghazghkull Thrakka...a tactica  (Read 2237 times)

Offline the_humble_terminator

• Tankbusta Boy
  • Judgement Day is inevitable...See you soon!
Ghazghkull Thrakka...a tactica
« on: July 17, 2011, 08:29:00 PM »
Ghazghkull Thrakka is widely known for being "overly expensive for the upgrades he gives."

I beg to differ!

In this tactica I will explain the advantages of Ghazghkull as an HQ choice, and show a few tricks to get around his flaws. Just remember, Orks rely on their HQ's to be survivable and killy, to be Super-Survivable, Super-killy, or, in the case of the KFF Big Mek, a support for the units nearby.

Ghazghkull fills all of these requirements, and I will prove that in this tactica. Now, let's get started!

Wargear:

Big shoota
Adamantium Skull
Cybork
Bosspole

Special Rules:
Independant Character (Wanted to mention this for future reference)
Prophet of the Waaagh!
Makes a nobz squad (mega armoured, or not) a troops choice

Big Shoota- Ghazghkull has a big shoota in place of the normal Twin linked shoota. This can be good, but can also be equally not as good. The big shoota is not twin linked, and while mathmatically it comes out to be the same chance to hit, my experience tells me I would rather have a TL Shoota than a Big shoota in terms of chance to hit. This is because while you only get to roll 2 dice for the shoota, you have the potential to roll them again if they miss, possibly rolling 4 dice (or two dice twice) which in my opinion, has a better chance to hit than 3 dice that cannot be rerolled. (without an ammo runt) However, this is evened out with the extra strength on the big shoota, and better AP. AP 5 is still better than 6, since it can cancel guardsmen armour saves. Basically, this comes down to personal preference issues, not so much mathmatical possibility issues.

Adamantium Skull- Ghazghkull gets +2 charge attacks, plus he is immune to instant death. Big difference in comparison to other warbosses, who can get killed by a strength 10 hit.

Prophet of the Waaagh!- The four elements of Ghazghkull's Waaagh! make him an awesome choice. they are as follows:

>Ghazghkull gets a 2++ for the period of time his Waaagh! is in effect. Making him even more killy, and even more Survivable than before. A 2+ invulnerable? who else in our codex can even get a 3+ invulnerable, or even a 4+ Invulnerable? Super-Survivability has been found. His name is Ghazghkull. Don't get the wrong idea, I am not saying Ghazghkull cannot be beaten during this time, I just mean that it makes it a heck of a lot harder to do so!

>Ghazghkull makes all friendly non-fleeing units fearless for the current turn (any turn you want, since it can be called at any time except the first player turn) and the next player turn. This ablility can be used defensively or offensively. For example, you, or an ally or both, have just lost half of 2 or more squads from a shooting barrage from grey knights, or tau, or another good shooting army. It is time for them to make their leadership, but if they do not pass, they will keep running off the board. Wait! you brought Ghazghkull! It's time to waaagh! All of the squads you two have are now fearless for the remainder of your opponent's turn, and your next turn! This could save you both from losing the game, depending on the squad, and their position in relation to the enemy. This ability can support your army, and your ally's army, making him a great support choice. (PotW: C:O pg 58)

>Lastly, the all-so-important auto 6 fleet move for squads you want to have run to the enemy and assault. (all of them) This makes it a lot easier to get to the enemy due to ghazghkull's Slow and purposeful USR given to him by the mega armour. This also makes him a good support HQ.

Ghazghkull makes one Nobz squad  a troops choice, just like any other warboss. This is a great asset because this way you don't have to choose between having a cheaper boss who makes nobz troops, and a killy, survivable, support HQ, who is awesome in every aspect! (Except slow and purposeful, but I will show you a way to get around that somewhat easier)

Now that we understand the extent of Ghazghkull's prowess as an HQ choice, Let's look at a few of the cool tactics I have used when running Ghazghkull.

>As stated, you can prevent squads from running away.

>Since Ghazghkull is an Independant Character, He has the Move Through Cover USR. Well, he has the Slow and Purposeful USR as well, which, when you put him in a squad, it slows that squad down, unless they are MaNz, who also have that rule. However, for those of you who do not have/do not play MaNz, this can hinder your squad's speed if you want Ghazghkull to be protected right?  WRONG! Do this, and you can utilize Ghazghkull's MTC so he doesnt slow ANYONE else down, and he will also move faster if you do it like this:
Requirements- 2 Squads nearby who could both benefit from having Ghazghkull, and is tough enough to withstand a little extra shooting from the enemy.
Step one...remove ghaz from his squad first, this way he gets his MTC ability
Step two...Move ghaz the 4-6 inches you get from the 3D6
Step 4, put him in the other squad!

If you are planning on assaulting with the second squad that turn, do not add Ghazghkull to the squad at the end of the movement phase, as he has the potential to hinder the assault enough to keep them out of the scrap. If you want to assault a squad on the same flank of the second squad that Ghazghkull is on, then do not add him at the end of the movement phase, simply attempt to assault the same squad with Ghazghkull as you want to assault with the second squad.

Basically, your two scenarios should look like this:

Turn one of foot slogging Ghazghkull:                          Turn you wish to assault with the second squad:

Nobz= o  Ghazghkull= O  Boyz = x                                                  Enemy squad= + Enemy Squad upgrade= --

o o o o o       x x x x x x x o                                                                    + + + + + + +
 o o o o o    O x x x x x x x                                                                        + + + + + + +
                  /     x x x x x                                                                           -- + + + + + + 
     ^          l           ^                                                                                    o o o o o    \      x x x x x x x o
  o o o o o O     x x x x x x x                                                                          o o o o o    O     x x x x x x x
   o o o o o       x x x x x x x                                                                                            /      ,>x x x x x
                          x x x x x                                                                            ^               /       /
                                                                                                                  o o o o o   (  x x x x x x x o
                                                                                                                   o o o o o   O x x x x x x x
                                                                                                                                         x x x x x

Just know that you are taking a risk by doing this, because if Ghazghkull does not get the range to assault the squad, he is left in the open, waiting to get shot up. However, also do not forget you get to roll 3D6 on the assault range too!
*tip- If you are going to attempt to try the second scenario, I would Waaagh!, Just to be safe, unless you "obviously" are going to get range after moving in the movement phase. I say "obviously" because, it IS possible to roll 3 1's!!!

So now you must be thinking, "Wow! Ghazghkull sounds really cool, and strong...but when do I put him in my list?"

In this section I will Examine his possible use in each basic Army structure type; Speed freaks, Kan Wall, Green Tide, and Each possible Hybrid that combines two of these types of lists, in order of how much Ghazghkull would help the army type, in general.

First- Green Tide- The Green Tide army, for those of you who are new to Orks, is basically 3-6 squads of 30 boyz (with a BP/PK Nob) footslogging up the field. Ghazghkull added to this army would make all of them fleet 6" for their Waaagh, and when he Waaagh's he makes them all fearless for that turn and the next player turn after. He, in my opinion is a must-have for this type of list.

Second- Kan Wall/Green Tide Hybrid- (basically Kan Wall with more boyz) I say this because, the more infantry, the more effective Ghazghkull is going to be... and his abilities would help the boyz squads get into assault at the end of the game.

Third-Speed Freaks/Green tide- (basically 3/4 trukk boyz squads, 2/3 squads of 30 boyz) I say this because, a 1-2 combo with speed freaks running up to krump the enemy, then the footslogging Orks come from behind and mop up, it is a devastating combo. Only second to Kan wall because the kans are Heavy Support choices, allowing more green tide size boyz squad.

Fourth- Speed Freaks- I say this since they usually run about 60-72 boyz so Ghazghkull would still be moderately effective, but not really a must-have, as he is in Green Tide lists. However, I see it this way, consider you are playing against someone who has brought enough designated AT weaponry to take out a couple of your trukks, before you get to move them at all. Obviously, the ramshackle rule might move them 2D6 in a single direction, then they get out, but for the purpose of this situation, let's say the boyz end up 5"closer than before, then the disembarking gets them another 2". If you didn't take Ghazghkull then the boyz probably won't make it to the enemy, thus rendering them useless in the grand scheme of things. Also, judging by the fact that there are a good amount of AT possibilities now, this might have just happened to 3 of your trukk boy squads. If you did take Ghazghkull, then they would, at that point be able to move forward 6" Fleet 6" and assault 6" if your enemy is not in cover. At this point you have an 18" assault range, after being dismounted. If you were not dismounted, then if you Waaagh! that turn, basically all of your assault units are in assault that turn.

Fourth- Kan Wall- I say this because Kan Wall lists I have seen usually try to put a good number of boyz in. So Ghazghkull would still be moderately effective as a 2nd HQ, since 2 Kustom Force Field meks are said to be a little too much....but the Kan Wall players probably wouldn't add Ghazghkull since they need the points for boyz/kanz/Dreads. However if they have the extra points they might add him. I don't know, I don't really play Kan Wall.

Fifth-Kan Wall/Speed Freaks hybrid- This is the last place I would put Ghazghkull, this being because while you do have a good number of boyz, you don't have the points for him. I Think of it like this, a Kan wall list spends about 500 points on Kans, 120 on a Kustom Force Field Mek, and about 480 points on boyz. OK, well a proper speed freaks list requires trukk boy squads, so having 3 trukk boy squads would cost about 480 points. Then, your Nobz squad would cost about 400 more points, and 40 more to put them in a trukk...add that up, and you only have 80 points left for a warboss to make the Nobz troops, where you would need another 145 points to get Ghazghkull...so there isn't a good way to take out needed wargear, just for Ghazghkull, who would do a good amount of damage, but it is not worth it in this case.

So there you have it, a solid description on when to use/not use Ghazghkull, and a good idea on some tricks to use when you use him. If you follow these guidelines, I would hope you the best of luck, and happy krumping!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 01:53:49 PM by the_humble_terminator »
IfThe Terminator Series' Skynet would realize something.....

If they send Terminators back in time every time they are about to lose....but instead...they send them to the point at which judgement day occurred...and each time after, send to about 3 months after the time they last received a terminator...The resistance would lose a lot quicker. As the technology would actually be improving too fast for the resistance to react.....The Terminator series would end...and Skynet would have won.

Offline AXEBLADE

• Burna Mek
  • Armies: Orks, Eldar, Imperial Guard
Re: Ghazghkull Thrakka...a tactica
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 09:11:59 AM »
>Ghazghkull makes all friendly non-fleeing units fearless for the current turn (any turn you want, since it can be called at any time except the first player turn) and the next player turn. This ablility can be used defensively or offensively. For example, you, or an ally or both, have just lost half of 2 or more squads from a shooting barrage from grey knights, or tau, or another good shooting army. It is time for them to make their leadership, but if they do not pass, they will keep running off the board. Wait! you brought Ghazghkull! It's time to waaagh! All of the squads you two have are now fearless for the remainder of your opponent's turn, and your next turn! This could save you both from losing the game, depending on the squad, and their position in relation to the enemy. This ability can support your army, and your ally's army, making him a great support choice.

Unfortunately this is illegal. You can only call a waagh in your own shooting phase, not in your enemies (which is when you test).

I like the swapping squads tactic. I shall have to bring this out on some unsuspecting humies next time.

I generally use Ghaz as a character/elite killer. Send him against a really hard CC unit (lightning claw termies, death company, sanguinary guard etc) or CC IC, call your waaagh and watch him rip  through whatever is there. Its a great way to kill things which would otherwise rip through your boyz or nobz.

Offline Jack_Merridew

• Kommando Nob
  • Shhh....be warry warry quiet, I'm huntn' umies...
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 09:23:32 AM »

Unfortunately this is illegal. You can only call a waagh in your own shooting phase, not in your enemies (which is when you test).

You might want to check again under Orkdex pg. 58, under Prophet of the Waagh!.

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 09:30:11 AM »
A well written article, and some good points. Like AXEBLADE I think that declaring the waagh can only be done on your turn, I will have to do some more research on that.

Now for the use in the speed freaks, he obviously needs to be put in a battle wagon or truck. When he is not mounted however, I have found from the few times I proxied him that he didn't get any effective use as his walking did not get him into combat until turn 4/5. Maybe if he was used to defend your home base in capture and control games, but that is not an effective use of such an expensive model.

The one game where he did OK, was when he was in a battle wagon with a squad of mega nobs, their job was to take out the c-tan of a necron army, which they did, but then were mowed down by concentrated fire from the rest of his army. Since then I have found that Mad Doc is a much more effective leader of MaNs (and cheeper too)

It is my opinion that Ghaz is not a good choice of HQ in a speed freak army, it seems his strengths are more for green tide and kan wall combos. In speed freaks he takes up enough points that you sacrifice a whole truck boy squad (including truck) just to take a one hit wonder.
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline Sekminara, Porter of Moths

• Cthulhu cultist
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011, 11:49:50 AM »
I'm with Jack here. I believe Ghazzy's Waaagh unique in that it does not need to be declared in the shooting phase. The ruling in the codex (can be declared any time) was confirmed in FAQ 1.1, where there is a clear distinction between the regular Waaagh (at the start of his[the ork player's] shooting phase) and Ghazghkull's Waaagh (can be summoned any time).

Good article! As far as additional Ghazzy tactics are concerned I would also mention that if you're fond of MANz, Ghazghull complements them perfectly (no need to be in the same squad, lumping him with Snikrot is fun) as he is one of the few ways you can reliably sneak MANz (and their trukk) from outside psycannon range into assault without taking significant casualties (13"+2"+6"+D6").
To absent friends, lost loves, old gods, and the season of mists; and may each and every one of us always give the devil his due.

As if that blind rage had washed me clean, rid me of hope; for the first time, in that night alive with signs and stars, I opened myself to the gentle indifference of the world.

Go now read The Stranger (Albert Camus) READ IT!

Offline zero88

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2011, 01:35:44 PM »
The OP is right, Ghazghkull's waagh can be called during either players turn.

Good article, but I don't see him very useful in speed freek lists due to the amount of points he is and the 6 fleet roll is rarely needed with trukk squads.