News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Orkz VS Nurgle Marines, 1750pts (20+ Pics)  (Read 1733 times)

Offline Saracenar

• Skarboy Nob
  • "Ugh..."
  • Armies: Malifaux :P
Orkz VS Nurgle Marines, 1750pts (20+ Pics)
« on: January 26, 2011, 09:24:59 AM »
Today Lord Tyrannicus and I got together for a friendly game of 40k. We’d agreed upon the mission Seize Ground, with Pitched Battle deployment, at 1750pts. So away we went.

Our armies consisted of:

Orks
Warboss w/ Power Klaw, Shoota, ‘Eavy Amour, Cybork, Attack Squig, Bosspole
Big Mek w/ KFF
10 Lootas
9 Nobz w/ 1 PK, Painboy, ‘Eavy Armour, Waaagh! Banner, Choppas and Sluggas
Dedicated Battlewagon Transport w/ 2 Big Shootas, Deff Rolla, Armour Plates, Grot Riggers
20 Boyz, Nob w/ PK, Bosspole
6 Warbikerz, Nob w/ PK, Bosspole
Looted Wagon, Boomgun
Deff Dred w/ Four DCCWs, Armour Plates, Grot Riggers
3 Kannons, 3 Ammo Runtz

Chaos Space Marines
Chaos Lord w/ Daemon Weapon, Mark of Nurgle
5 Terminators w/ IoN, Chainfist, Combi-Flamer, 2 Combi-Melta, A Pair of Lightning Claws, Heavy Flamer
Dedicated Chaos Land Raider w/ Daemonic Possession
Chaos Dreadnaught w/ Plasma Cannon
7 Plague Marines w/ 2 Plasma Guns
7 Plague Marines w/ 2 Melta Guns, Plague Champion w/ Power Weapon, Plasma Pistol
Dedicated Rhino
7 Plague Marines w/ 2 Flamers, Plague Champion w/ Power Weapon, Plasma Pistol
Dedicated Rhino
6 Chaos Havocs w/ 4 Missile Launchers
Chaos Vindicator w/ Daemonic Possession

There were to be five objectives in the form of piles of junk on 25mm bases (very appealing to Orks, probably not so appealing to Chaos Space Marines, I know). Lord Tyrannicus rolled higher than me and so placed the majority of the markers.

The terrain set up was thus (with the positions of the objectives marked by red circles):

Once we’d placed the objectives we got to work setting up our armies. I won the roll off and decided to go second, meaning LT got to choose the board edge to come on from. He set up, as shown:

That's Lord Tyrannicus in the picture.

And then I set up:

No pic of me guys, sorry :P

So then we were ready to play. I tried to seize the initiative, but failed with a mighty roll of 1. And so began the Chaos’ First Turn.

Things kicked off with the Dreadnaught becoming overcome with Blood Rage, and charging straight towards the enemy. The Rhinos moved up towards the Boyz, popped smoke. In the shooting phase, the Dreadnaught compulsively ran 5” further forward. The Vindicator attempted to fire on the Boyz opposite it, but was found to be just out of range. The Land Raider took sight of the Deff Dread and fired a lascannon, but the Big Mek’s kustom force field protected it. Finally, the Havocs rained frag upon the Boyz but came up short with some unlucky rolling, managing only to kill 4 Boyz after 18 hits.

Ork Turn 1
The Bikers, roaring for some combat, turbo boost a full 24” up towards the Havocs and Vindicator, the tank their ultimate target. The Deff Dread and Boyz moved up towards the Rhinos while staying in range of the Kustom Force Field.

The Lootas took aim at the left Rhino, and with a hail of fire 20 shots strong still only managed to shake, stun, and finally knock of the twin-linked bolter. Not bad, but could have been better. The Kannons fired krak missiles at the frenzied Dreadnaught, and, unfortunately for LT, wrecked it. The Boomwagon fired its first ever shell at the right Rhino, but failed to damage it after a bad scatter roll.

Chaos Turn 2
The right Rhino, currently undamaged, drove forward and unloaded its filthy cargo, Meltas at the front, facing the incoming Dread. From the temporarily immobile Rhino the Flamer marines hopped out, and moved around the side.

The Havocs turned their weapons on the Bikes, and with some horrible armour saving throws on my part, managed to kill all five regular Bikerz, and wounding the Nob, who promptly fled after surviving a spare lascannon shot from the Land Raider and a blast from the Vindicator, who really wanted him gone. And gone he was, zooming off the table edge at the start of my next turn.

Orks Turn 2
Turn 2 began with my third squad of Boyz coming in from reserves, and the Battlewagon carrying my Warboss and Nobz also rolling on. Unfortunately, I didn’t have much space for it, and was forced to deploy on my right flank, somewhere I didn’t really need to be.

I moved my Dread and Boyz further towards the Rhinos and now footslogging Plague Marines, with my sights set on combat. For that reason, I saw that the Big Mek leave the squad, remaining behind with the Boomgun, in order to protect it.

My shooting phase saw the closer Rhino wrecked at the hands of the Boomwagon, and two Joe Marines from the Flamer squad downed by the Lootas. My Kannons managed to glance a lascannon from the Land Raider. Very lucky indeed. I ran my newly arrived Boyz closer to the objective and partly inside the Sanctum Imperialis. I also decided, that now would be the time to get into combat, so as to avoid those flamers for as long as possible. As such, I declared my Waaagh! after running my left-most Boyz mob 1” towards the Marines (and causing a self-inflicted fatality along the way). However, I predicted they would not be able to reach the flamer Marines, so set my sights on the Melta ones instead.

I charged with the left-most mob, and my Dread, leaving the centre mob for cleanup duty. The following combat saw some horrendously unlucky rolling on LT’s half, as his Lord rolled a 1 for his Daemon Weapon, and then fell to the Nob’s Power Klaw. The rest of the Boyz and the Dread were able to kill 3 Marines, while receiving three casualties of their own.

Chaos Turn 3
Deciding that combat was far too risky, the flamer Marines re-embarked in their Rhino and took off, ducking behind the wrecked one and successfully obscuring itself from my Boomwagon and Lootas’ sights.

The Havocs fired at the Battlewagon, only shaking it and knocking off a Big Shoota, while the Land Raider shook the Boomwagon. Some really unlucky rolling on LT’s part.

And in the Assault Phase, the Boyz and Dread finished off the Plague Marines, consolidating a meagre 3”.

Orks Turn 3
Moving toward the Rhino, my Boyz were closing in. I cruised my Battlewagon further up the board, and turned my Deff Dread around to chomp up some nummy Land Raider, but was too far away to get at it this turn. I ran 2” toward it, while my Lootas’ failed to harm the Rhino carrying the flamer Marines. My Kannons shook the Land Raider with some more lucky rolling (mainly sixes), but Daemonic Possession ignored it. In the Assault Phase, the Boyz ran in and with all their strength, [sarcasm]amazingly[/sarcasm] managed to shake the Rhino, at best giving the Plague Marines inside a bit of a bumpy ride. But that was all.

Chaos Turn 4
And this is where things got a bit messy. Having realised that he’d neglected his poor Plasma Gun squad, LT quickly saw to it that they moved forward through the ruined manufacturum’s first floor, toward an objective. The Flamer Marines disembarked from their transport once more, ready to barbeque some greenskins, which I was rather worried about. The Terminators disembarked from the Land Raider, their sights set on the squad of Boyz idling in the centre of my deployment zone, which they had no qualms about approaching.

The Havocs fired once again on the Battlewagon, but were only able to shake it. The Vindicator let loose at the Boyz holding the objective inside the Sanctum, but thanks to its sturdy walls only 2 of them dropped. And then the flamers let loose. The entire squad was crisped, leaving only a confused Nob behind. He would go on to survive another turn.

The Terminators charged the Boyz, making the wise decision not to fire their weapons, lest they fall out of range for assault. However, with some more bad rolls for LT, only four Boyz bit the dust, and two Termies died to the Nob’s Power Klaw. I still lost the combat however, and due to my fearlessness I lost two more Boyz.

Ork Turn 4
My Dreadnaught, now easily in range of the Land Raider, began to close the gap. The Battlewagon thundered forward once more and the Nobz jumped out the front, more than ready to chop some tank.

The Boomgun fired again, killing a single Marine from the Flamer squad after scatter. The Kannons again failed to do any damage to the Land Raider (but hey, what else could I shoot?). The Lootas failed to hurt the Plasma Marines.

In the Assault Phase, my Dread sadly, was unable to destroy the Land Raider, doing no real damage to it at all (anti-climatic much?). My Nobz however, had better luck. I wrecked the Vindicator and exploded the Rhino, with everyone passing their armour saves. Against the Terminators, my Boyz lost six and killed one, causing me to flee, now no longer Fearless. The slow Termies could do nothing but watch them run. And run, right off the board.

Chaos Turn 5
The Land Raider decided it was better off away from my Dread, and pulled away and around, bringing its remaining lascannon to bear on him. The Terminators advanced on the Kannons.

The Flamer Marines finished off the lone Nob from earlier, while the Plasma Marines took out three of my Lootas with long range fire, building to building. The Havocs pulled krak on my Nobz, now in the open, insta-killing three and wounding one with a bolter, all regulars. The Nobz and Lootas went on to pass their leadership tests and hold their ground.

The Terminators charged the Kannons, easily dispatching with the crew, despite a close encounter with an angry remaining Gretchin, who almost clawed out a Terminator’s eye. The leftovers ran for it, straight off the board. They’d done enough already, I figured.

Orks Turn 5
The Nobz decided it was high time they did something useful, and ran to capture an objective, while the Warboss split off in order to deal with the Havocs. Not thinking entirely clearly, I decided to tank shock the Havocs with my Battlewagon (in the name of fun, I guess), and failed to do anything but provide a buffer between the Havocs and the Warboss, and expose the Battlewagon’s raw side armour, which in hindsight, was never a good idea. Oh well.

In my stupidity I forgot to shoot with my Lootas, while I was unable to fire the Boomwagon thanks to a failed ‘Don’t Press Dat’ roll, at the start of the turn. My Mek however, was able to prevent the tank from actually moving anywhere.

My Dread wanted another chance with the Raider, so I gave it one. Result: one wrecked Raider. I was happy with that.

At the end of my turn I took the liberty of rolling to see if the game went on. And…it did!

Chaos Turn 6
Realising we were in the endgame now, LT moved his Plague Marines towards the closest objectives, hoping to capture as many as he could, which, as of the moment, was two.

His Plasma Marines opened fire once more, killing two Lootas who subsequently passed their leadership test. The Havocs, now with a clear vantage point on the Battlewagon, exploded it, raining shrapnel all around, but none of it lethal, save for the one piece that flew straight through one of the Havocs equipped with a Bolter. The Flamer Marines made it to the objective by running.

The Terminators, seeing that their best chance was to try and draw my Boyz off their objective, ran in for some combat, and charged. What we weren’t expecting to happen, however, was the two Termies absolutely failing in all aspects and then perishing to the Nob’s Klaw. Man I love Klaws.

Ork Turn 6
The final turn of the game, it would turn out. With not much to do but try as hard as possible to knock those Flamer Marines off their objective, unable to capture any more with my own Troops, I moved my Dread in their direction.

It all came down to this. My Boomgun. It was now or never. The krew lined up a shot, the barrel focussed as well as it could be on the Marines. Load the shell, shut the hatch, cover your ears and…look at that spectacular miss. 9” to the left. Just what I needed. Yeah.

And now that the game was definitely a draw, should it end now, I threw my Warboss at the Havocs, and killed three of them, almost dying myself, the Warboss copping two wounds from the shooty squad. They passed their leadership, and I handed it over to LT to see if the game would go on. But it didn’t. I should have seen it coming, the way he’d been rolling so low all game. We were tied, 2 objectives each.

And now that I think about it, we didn’t think to go to Kill Points to decide it. I guess the score would have been 7-5 my way, but we were happy enough to call it a draw. It was pretty close.

Post-Game Thoughts
In some areas I could only attribute my failures to bad luck, like with my Bikes early on, and the Boomwagon late-game. But I certainly had less bad luck than Lord Tyrannicus, who I know to have particularly bad favour with the dice gods. In other areas, I did make mistakes, like forgetting to fire with my Lootas that one turn. I probably could have picked better targets with my Boomgun, too, but it was my first time using it (a freshly converted model, by the way, which I'll be detailing later in the Konversion and Modelling Board), and I wasn't too sure about where/how I would use it, I just wanted to kill something with it. And it went alright.

Overall, I'm fairly pleased with how things went. It would have been interesting to see how a 7th turn would have affected things, but oh well, that's dice for you.

Lord Tyrannicus will be posting his thoughts on the game tomorrow. Thanks for reading! ;D

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
  • Ancient
  • King of the Preemptive Strike
    • klucas.piczo.com
Re: Orkz VS Nurgle Marines, 1750pts (20+ Pics)
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 10:09:36 AM »
Hey very nice Batrep, congrats on the game and a draw is nothing to scoff at.

I think that you noticed/mentioned most of the things that might have helped you, especially some better dice for Scatter (too funny btw).

Other than that, awesome Pics of two well painted forces. Nice to see that you guys can make your home-land work as a Battlefield with only a simple table and some terrain pieces. The conversions on both armies looked great btw, so thanks for getting those pics once again. I look forward to reading more Batreps from you in the future and I look forward to LT's comments too.

Cheers.

PS.. this it the right place to post your batrep, and the linky in the WotW thread was most appreciated and also appropriate.
Join POC: Saim-Hann
or Read the Guide to Eldar
or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering

Offline Saracenar

• Skarboy Nob
  • "Ugh..."
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 10:40:02 AM »
Thanks Moc, I'm glad you enjoyed it. Hopefully I will be able to do more battle reports in the future.

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 01:45:36 PM »
Looks like you must have been fighting on a chaos planet, the "grass" there is so blue and with strange patterns on white dirt... (just kidding)

A great write up, I really enjoyed the details and the comments on dice rolling "just what I needed" LOL

A draw is good but only a slight technicality, as orks never lose, so what you have done is fool him into thinking you are too easy so he will come back again and you can have more scrap metal for your construction of stompas and fighter bombas.
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline Saracenar

• Skarboy Nob
  • "Ugh..."
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 06:26:53 PM »
I wanted to use an old bed sheet with a space pattern on it, but I couldn't find it anywhere :( It is certainly an interesting planet ;)

Sometimes the dice just aren't kind to you when you need them. I make those sort of comments a fair bit, haha.

True, da Orks will be back to do some real proppa krumpin'. And if we're lucky, we'll do another battle report.

Offline Lord Tyrannicus

• Anti-Power Fist Activist.
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 04:22:07 AM »
Mmm, yes, surprisingly good dice rolls on my part this game. Many 2's amongst the sea of 1's. Very unusual. You think I'm being sarcastic ;)

Anywho, it was a good game, looked like the game was heading in my favour at the beginning, but that quickly changed with some poor luck on my behalf. Some bad positioning by the Vindicator can be fixed in the future and probably with the Rhino's too. Other than that I think it went pretty well.

I barely scraped a draw, but it's still a draw nevertheless  ;)

~ Lord Tyrannicus
~ Lord Tyrannicus

Offline Mortalis

• Master of waste disposal
  • For Gondor.
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2011, 02:58:04 AM »
Nice Batrep boys really enjoyable :D

Can't wait to play those orks with my Chaos Eldar muahaha.

Pity about those bikes aye, that sucked those things can kill on a good day :)

~Morty