News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: IG Codex Redo  (Read 9264 times)

Offline Staatz

• Pip Boy 2000!
    • WarHam Glazed
IG Codex Redo
« on: March 25, 2002, 03:18:06 PM »
Appearntally a redo of the gaurd codex is do out after the eldar redo (some time in 2003) I dont really think it needs a redux but maybe they are just getting all the codexs that were releaced before the tau up to 4th edition standards..

Anyway anyone think there should be any changes? I think maybe giving little more varity to the troops section by giving them vet options, maybe some assult squads that give you the option of a las pistol and ccw and letting the assult squad vet sarges have power weapions

Mostally What I think we need is new plastic troops and maybe make rough riders with bikes instead of horses, a command jeep would be fun to...

Offline Grim Stalker

• Ancient
  • Honour and Duty
    • Grim Stalker's Imperial Guard
Re:IG Codex Redo
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2002, 03:37:49 PM »
yea i think they should have one more transport

like a really cheap buggy ... ahhh whats the point go to my site click on my army > home grown and check out the full rules, i made like 1 year ago - with a concept pic...

grim

PS> loving that bikes idea  ;D

Offline Staatz

• Pip Boy 2000!
    • WarHam Glazed
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2002, 03:41:37 PM »
Ya technically you could have the bikes and jeep now but you coulden't use 'em in turnies

I was thinking crazy dirt bikes on steriods would be neet

Offline lastrati

• I'm not a llama!
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2002, 04:50:20 PM »
I'd like to see options for kitting out assault oriented platoons (shotguns & 2 special weapons, or laspistol & CCW & 2 special weapons).  

I'd like to see the return of "Veteran Upgrades" or some other regimental customization feature so that Valhallans, Cadians, and Mordians can actually play a little bit differently in the field.

I'd like to see the variable squad strengths and alternate platoon organization options included in the Codex (detachable officers, etc.).  

I'd like some clarification as to what happens if an officer or a Commisar is the "last man standing" in his squad (do they check morale every turn, or do they become IC's?  They need to clarify this for every army actually)

I'd like to see heavy weapon squads included as part of the Tactical Platoon rather than as part of a separate HQ platoon (for each Heavy squad, take a 25 to 55 man platoon to screen it).  I'd like them to lift the limits on how many of each heavy weapon squad one is allowed to take.  

I'd like to see an alternate transport option (a cheap truck-normal speed is okay) or some special transport options (Gorgon's would be nice-heavy armor, can carry a whole platoon).

I'd like to see varying levels of experience among troops.  (Players could choose PDF with BS3, WS2, Ld 6, or Regular Guard with BS3, WS3, Ld7, or Veteran Guard with BS4, WS3, Ld 8) Players choose on a platoon by platoon basis.

I'd like to see Command HQ's have the option to equip the Guardsmen/bodyguards in Carapace Armor if that is what the commander is wearing.  These bodyguards should also have a Stormtrooper's statline.  

I'd like to see the return of White Shields, Penal Legionaires, and Human Bombs.    I wouldn't mind seeing some bikes added to the list.  

I'd like to see Heavy Flamers, and Demolition Charges in the main IG list.  

I'd like the options of including a medic in each platoon HQ, and for that medic to be able to affect any single model within 12" (instead of only helping out his own squad).  

I'd like to see the ForgeWorld vehicles included in the main codex list, where appropriate.  

I'd like to see the lascannon upgrade for Sentinels and the exceptions to the Hellhound's "all glances penetrate" rule incorporated into the main codex as well.  

I'd like to see Combat Engineers/Sappers added to the list, as well as the snipers that the Catachan Codex gave us.  

I'd like to see Armored Company, Steel Legion, Deathworld, Rough Rider, PDF, & Stormtrooper lists included in the same codex so that all the rules are in one place, clearly written and easier to access.  

Let's not even get into rules changes.. . (move & shoot all weapons on vehicles, even at the cost of requiring a to-hit roll for ordinance... the list can go on!)

Offline Grim Stalker

• Ancient
  • Honour and Duty
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2002, 05:14:49 PM »
ok lastrati - thats a long christmas list man   :D

yea IG should change a bit - i mean get sum new units...

grim

Offline Delone

• I'm back
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2002, 06:16:54 PM »
Holy crap  :o  That is the longest post I've read while I've been on this forum  ;D  You should send that to GW, see what they think ;)

And they should add some rules for mines ;)  Like the senor and pressure mines  ;D  And maybe anti-personal ones, anti-vehicle :)  Stuff like that :D  

Maybe if they add some new units, they'll make a Minelayer ;)  Ohh, and if it was a tank!  :D

Offline Staatz

• Pip Boy 2000!
    • WarHam Glazed
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2002, 08:37:50 PM »
A tad smilley there?  ;) :) :D ;D  8)

What would Engineers do? Repair/distroy tanks? sounds cool!

Mkoll

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2002, 10:58:24 PM »
A few new special weapons would be nice. I can see a Smart Gun ala "Aliens" being useful with troops that couldn't hit air in the sky. :)

Mkoll

Offline Delone

• I'm back
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2002, 07:31:08 AM »
Hmmm, Engineers would be really cool  ::)  Don't know how they would work though.....roll a 1, screw up, tank blows up  ;D  Roll a 6, fully repaired  8)  Hehehe

Offline lastrati

• I'm not a llama!
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2002, 09:46:41 AM »
I figure combat engineers could be used to:
Set up barricades before battles (maybe 12" of sandbags, tank traps, mines or razorwire per five man engineer team), so that  the IG player can actually bring along some beneficial terrain and place it where he wants it after the deployment zones are chosen

Demolish 1 piece of troublesome terrain before the battle starts (reduce a building to ruins, or ruins to rough terrain- so you don't have to have that four story building obscuring 50% of your Russ's firing arc).

The ability to blow tank obstacles/razor wire during the game.

Armament would be - demolition charges (1 per member-use to demolish a target terrain feature, or can be thrown), flamers, meltaguns, meltabombs, lasguns.  Infiltration would be a must.  Morale would be high (Ld 8, with a veteran sgt option for Ld 9 perhaps?)

Offline Grim Stalker

• Ancient
  • Honour and Duty
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2002, 10:45:57 AM »
i like the way you think lastati...

listen u think u can maybe write up some home gown rules for such a unit fo rmy site, it would be GREATLY appreciated... just message me ok?

thanks

grim

Offline Prince of the laughing god

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2002, 11:07:54 AM »
I would like to see rough riders improved, and an option to mount infantry platoons, veterans, and command platoons on horseback, and maybe give an infantry platoon the option for 2 special wepons like plasma guns and flamers. I would like to have an all cav army that would be really cool.
This confusion is my illusion

Offline Staatz

• Pip Boy 2000!
    • WarHam Glazed
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2002, 11:11:54 AM »
They could make a mini dex for a cav army.. I think 2 s. weapions per squad would be a bit much

Offline Grim Stalker

• Ancient
  • Honour and Duty
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2002, 11:21:03 AM »
hmmm prince ... i think GW already made a calvary only regiment - the attilins...

ok they have no codex or no models, but hey there exists the idea...

hey maybe GW will be real smart and they would make a mini-dex for every famous regiment in IG. I mean just like with SM's - they have chapters and every famous chapter has a mini-dex, why not do the same for IG.

and so that each regiment will have a few new "themed units" and the similar IG units will have different names: for example Infatry squads on mordia will be called: militia and maybe on valhalla rough riders ride polar bears or sumthin.

hehe know whats funny... GW have their own lil plan, that is aimed at making more $$$ (cha-ching), than pleasing us "devoted" consumers...  :'(

grim

Offline Delone

• I'm back
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2002, 04:51:07 PM »
Lastrati, jeez!  You could make the 4th edt ALL BY YOURSELF!!   ;D  Hehehe.  I don't like the idea of horses on the battlefield fighting against hordes of aliens...it doesn't fit, just like the squats, horses are for FB, not 40k.  

You guys had a idea to make the Rough Riders on bikes ;)  That would be awesome, much better than HORSES!!  Just take a SM Bike, take off those two front guns, put a lascannon or something in it's place, change the postion of the body for the Rough Riders and TA DA!!  Rough Riders on Bikes ;D  I might try that...got a SM bike I ain't using ;)

And for some reason, GW only made a mini-dex for the Jungle Boys, why not the Cadians!?!? Or the Valhalla(*Cough Russians Cough* ;) ;))??

And I think the idea of Valhalla's riding Polar Bears....is just werid...would be funny...but messed it ;)

Offline ImperialCommander

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2002, 05:08:21 PM »
i disagree (6th maybe 7th time this has come up on msg board?) about how horses seem unfit for 40k.  Where new planets are found everyday, and on some humans are highly technologicaly advanced then the imperium (colonised before rise of emperror, STCS, etc..) and some, are vastly lower (pre gunpowder).  and plus, horses are sometimes more capable then bikes or other veichles...you cant feed a bike the local grass, and horses are more manuverable in dense terrain then bikes..
"The only future peace has to offer is war"

Offline Delone

• I'm back
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2002, 05:38:50 PM »
Okay, hmm:

1)Horses get tired, Bikes don't
2)Horses can get killed with a shot from a Bolter
3)Horses get spooked(You don't think a Horse would run away if a Lichor was coming for it?)
4)Horses make sounds that you can't control sometimes, like that NAAAEEHH sound ;D  For Bikes, all you gota do is add a siliencer ;)  Hahah

Oh yeah, don't forget about speed.  Horses are MUCH slower.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2002, 05:39:57 PM by Delone »

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2002, 05:40:10 PM »
Horses can heal and naturally reproduce.

Show me a bike that can regenerate and duplicate itself  ;)
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Delone

• I'm back
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2002, 05:51:05 PM »
Okay, you got me on the heal thing  :'(  BUT NOT the reproduce thing; WHO THE HELL IS GOING TO WANT A BABY HORSE POPPING UP IN THE MIDDLE OF A BATTLE?!?!?!   ::)  ???  ;D

And I could make a Bike that reproducues.... :P  *Grabs a horse, cuts some pieces off and sticks them onto the Bike*  TA DA!!  It even heals itself ;)

Offline lastrati

• I'm not a llama!
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2002, 05:51:24 PM »
I don't object to horses, just so long as the rest of the army isn't mechanized.  The Imperium has so many different worlds with widely varying tech levels and widely varying resource bases...  

Historically, horses were widely used even during WW2 (though usually not as traditional cavalry).  

Horses would look wrong in my IG armies, but if I had a tallarn force, with no tanks, the horses would look great and fit right in as a low-tech PDF or the PDF for an iron or petroleum poor world.

Bikes would look better for my force, and their better speed would make them a more logical choice for scouting than the Sentinels that my men's transports will outpace.