News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Is this the end of FIFA?  (Read 1759 times)

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
Is this the end of FIFA?
« on: May 29, 2015, 06:10:28 PM »
First, numerous Fifa officials were arrested in Zurich for allegations of corruption including money laundering.  One official, Chuck Blazer, has turned supergrass and is exposing the rest of them.  Then, despite all this, Slack Bladder Sepp Blatter has just been re-elected as President of Fifa for a fifth term.

I, like a lot of people, have serious problems with Fifa.  Their rampant corruption is simply unbelievable, and the decision to award the World Cup to Russia and Qatar is indefensible. 

Now, at long last, I think the tables are turning.  I sincerely hope that this is the beginning of the end for Fifa, at least in it's current form.  If we're lucky, and there is still an once of morality out there, UEFA will carry through with their threat of a boycott.  The sponsors will start to pull out, hitting the buggers in their pockets.  Then the charges will stick and end in prison time for the scumbags in charge, and the next two World Cups will end up as even bigger disasters than they already will be.

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
Re: Is this the end of FIFA?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 06:38:58 PM »
I'm pretty sure everyone knew that FIFA was corrupt. I mean, it's a lot of non-Canadian countries, and if my research is accurate, the rest of the world is full of scum and villainy.

For the less racist view, I hate soccer, and am not surprised that people need to pay other people millions of dollars for anything involved in the sport. I'm fairly certain that the players are indentured in some kind of Gladiator-like contract, in which they are the property of vicious owners that force them to battle for the entertainment of others. Thankfully, few of them are killed on the pitch, but that mostly serves to prolong their torment, from what I understand.

Sooooo.... some hand-slaps will be handed around, people will continue churning the money-mill, life will go on. In the still-racist but more serious notes, many countries are plagued by the very corruption that the FIFA members are accused of being part of. Something's going on in Russia, and bribery is involved? Heaven forbid! South American officials are on the take? My word!

It's a world wide organization, filled with the realities of many different countries. These chumps just got caught.

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
  • "Bees. My God" was an obscure Batman quote.
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2015, 08:03:32 AM »
I'm fairly certain that the players are indentured in some kind of Gladiator-like contract, in which they are the property of vicious owners that force them to battle for the entertainment of others.

I think that's actually US College Football.

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
« Reply #3 on: June 2, 2015, 08:33:58 PM »
And now he's resigned.

Which means that the whole election farce was pointless.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #4 on: June 2, 2015, 08:43:20 PM »
He also under investigation, as you'd expect.

John Oliver was all over it again this weekend. Edit: Language Warning (no, not the accent).
Last Week Tonight with John Oliver: FIFA II (HBO) - YouTube

Which led to this, this morning:
http://twitter.com/iamjohnoliver/status/605800436440768513/photo/1
« Last Edit: June 2, 2015, 08:53:05 PM by The GrimSqueaker »
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.