News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Eldarzilla Warhost Competition Entry  (Read 1161 times)

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
Eldarzilla Warhost Competition Entry
« on: July 23, 2015, 03:20:16 PM »
Guardian Battlehost (540)
Farseer   [100]

10 guardian defenders + EML (free)[90]

1 Vyper shuriken cannon [40]
1 War Walker x2 brightlance [70]
2 Shadowweaver [60]

Guardian Stormhost (570)
Farseer [100]

14 storm guardians + x2 fusion guns + x2 power swords(free) [126]
8 guardians + x2 fusion guns + x2 power swords(free) [72]
8 guardians + x2 fusion guns + x2 power swords(free) [72]

1 Vyper shuriken [40]
1 War Walker x2 brightlance [70]
3 Vibro Cannon [90]

Wraith-Constructs
Wraithlord + wraithblade x2 flamers [125]

Wraith-Constructs
Wraithlord x2 flamers [120]

Living Legends
Karandras [200]

I've always loved playing an eldarzilla list. The wraithlords stay along side the avatar giving him a cover, taking challenges, being bullet magnets. The avatars buffs work really well on them as well. The lords are naked as they will run every turn, but still have there flamers to help avoid being tarpitted.

Karandras joins the large storm guardian unit, giving them a stealth. All three storm guardians follow the avatar/lords very closely. The host perk will allow everyone a full run every turn to help get into close combat that much quicker.

One farseer joins karandras and his stormies buffing their unit and the avatar/lords. Will try for runes of fate to get doom & fortune, switching for guide after 2 rolls if I fail to get both. If I get both in 2 rolls, I'll roll divination trying for prescience or misfortune.

Other farseer joins a defender guardian. He will take the primaris powers from divination, runes of fate, and try for something fun on telepathy. He will use the primaris powers to buff the guardians and ensure their EMLs hit their targets, or buff the batteries.

Guardians are taking the EML for their versatility and abilty to take down flyers. Not as cost effective as other options, but it is a great choice as the host makes them free.

Shadowweavers handle infantry, vibro cannons handle monstrous creatures and vehicles.

Walkers outflank and sure to use their brightlances on some rear armour.

Vypers held in reserve and come in to help flank the enemy and punish them with some solid strength weaponry.

The walkers and vypers are cheap and solitary, but are in no way a tax for the warhost. They may be easier kill points, but by being held in reserve, it helps hold off first blood and by the time they come in, most units should be in or close to being in close combat.

Offline Fenris

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Aeldari
Re: Eldarzilla Warhost Competition Entry
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 03:56:52 PM »
Nice list, just some thoughts:

I feel taking 2 guardian hosts may be a bit too much, the main problem will be bolter-fire, while karandras gives one unit cover 2 more could beind that unit, the last 3 guardian units will have trouble taking cover from normal bolters or similar weapons.

Maybe if you can get shrouding or invisibility going on one of your farseers.
Ego in propria persona, non compos mentis.

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 08:01:06 PM »
Thanks for the feedback. I thought about trying to get better saves on my guardians through the farseers or by adding warlocks, but that just seems to be delaying the inevitable if I do that. I've found with this type of list you need to run it very aggressively and stay on the offense. You'll never win a war of attrition with guardians. The biggest issue I've had with using psykers to protect my units is that with so many infantry units, which ever one I've protected, my opponent will just target another one, essentially wasting my warp charges and a chance to make an impact. The defender guardians will use whatever los blocking or cover they can to get a good aspect armour cover save at worst. The storm guardians will soak up wounds meant for Karandras and never break while the avatar is around.

By adding a warlock to a unit, I could almost add another 4 models. Even if he only uses the warp charge he creates, he will only get the power off 50% of the team with the guaranteed primaris power. If he tries with any more warp charges he takes away from the offensive powers of the farseers. I'd rather have 4 extra wounds on the board then 50% chance of added +2 to my cover save, but I might just be channeling my inner ork and acting way too suicidal.

It's very similar to an ork green tide list with the storm guardians there to help deliver karandras to the fight.

The biggest strategy with the eldarzilla list is to have everyone focus on the zillas and not the little people running around beneath him.

Definitely understand the risks you take with bolter type fire when/if they get into range, but they should have more pressing concerns on their mind than the defenders. If the list has excessive deepstrikers like a daemon or drop pod force or lots of outflankers, you can just hold back and castle your forces, using the farseers to buff. With the batteries, brightlances, and EMLs you have more than enough range to put the hurt on soemone while you wait for the rest of their army to arrive.

Offline Lyonic

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 09:19:36 PM »
Hey man, the rules say you can't have things that are not part of a warhost. Which makes sense because if there were no limitations the same units would appear in every contest :P Nice list though!

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2015, 10:02:25 PM »
Hey man, the rules say you can't have things that are not part of a warhost. Which makes sense because if there were no limitations the same units would appear in every contest :P Nice list though!

He is legal. Page 95. Wraith constructs and living legends are legal auxiliary choices.

Offline Lyonic

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2015, 10:54:40 PM »
Not for the competition. If you were building some normal list then yeah. But rules say only units from warhost. Else id take 350 points of windrider and spam 5 wraithknights

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2015, 11:39:55 PM »
Competition is for the Craftworld Warhost on pg 95 of the codex.

A guardian host is only part of a craftworld warhost. Guardian hosts are not legal to play on their own without all restrictions of the craftworld warhost, which states there must be a minimum of 1 to a maximum of 12 auxiliaries per guardian host. Hope that clears things up.

You could take a minimum guardian host and spam wraithknights if you wish. I don't think that would be a very fun list to play against and you'd find your gaming group getting pretty small. I also don't think that would be a great list to post for this competition, as it is a list that could be countered. You could also take a minimum guardian host and spam crimson death formations. Still not fun and good luck finding someone to play against.