News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Harlequin Black Library Bundle Worth It?  (Read 1225 times)

Offline Wyldhunt

Harlequin Black Library Bundle Worth It?
« on: February 7, 2015, 11:57:25 PM »
So I saw the new Masque of Vyle book was out, and all the new harlequin stuff has had me pumped for more harlie fluff!  Then I saw the harlequin bundle they have for various bits of harlie fluff.  Is the bundle as a whole worth it?  How about the stories individually? Am I better off just saving my money for the upcoming harlequin book? Er, the rulebook that is.

Offline Mr.Peanut (Turtleproof)

• Ride Like Lightning, Crash Like Thunder | Infinity Circuit | Pork Sword of Mod-Justice | Took the basket, nuts and lol | Good grief, ye hennie pennies
  • Ancient
  • Turtleposting At The Speed Of SHift
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Sigmarines, Chaos, Demons
Re: Harlequin Black Library Bundle Worth It?
« Reply #1 on: February 8, 2015, 05:57:58 PM »
I don't put much stock in 40k fiction.  The fluff in the rulebooks is like a set of free comic books, the likes of which I read merely half of in most cases.  Do you like 40k fluff, have you been entertained by recent releases?  If so, pick up a copy if the price is fair, otherwise wait for the rulebook (it may contain snippets or even entire stories from the novel).
You are
What you do
When it counts
     -The Masao
"Getting what you want can be dangerous.

Offline Lorizael

• GW Shill: Infinity Circuit: Synergistic Spotter of Numpties
  • Ancient
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 04:20:16 PM »
With BL, it can often be hit and miss because of the vast stable of authors they have. So many different writing styles means that generally there's something for everyone, but can mean that your favourite faction gets written about by someone you dislike...

If you like most of the authors in the bundle, then go for it, if not maybe pick and choose the individual books you think you might like.

Personally I've read Mask of Vyle and thought it was a bit 'meh'. I wouldn't read it a second time for sure. I really enjoyed Atlas Infernal- it's protaganist is an Inquisitor, but there's lots of cool Harlie lore involved. Harlequin by Ian Watson is a classic, but is RT/2nd ed. era background, so a little dated.

Offline Megaweapon

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 08:33:13 PM »
I haven't read the novels yet, which is the real meat of the bundle, but I wasn't too fond of the short stories.  Faces just plain old didn't catch my interest and I didn't make it all the way through.  The Victim's Dance was less a Harlequin story than it was a Space Wolf story for Space Wolf players, imho.