News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Multiple Wound Units  (Read 1310 times)

Offline Somekindofzombie

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Multiple Wound Units
« on: July 8, 2012, 03:02:02 AM »
After playing against Necron swarms and a unit of 3 Tomb Spiders today, we had some interesting 6th edition discoveries come up.

Because the closest model gets the wound from fire combat, by leapfrogging fresh units to the front each move and letting the wounded ones filter to the back, it is easier to keep your numbers up and avoid kills.  Several swarm models had wound markers on them simultaneously.

Furthermore, because of the way wounds are allocated in close combat, it is possible to lay up wounds on many different models at once and avoid kills due to their equidistance to opposing models and the wound allocation rules.

Were we missing something?  If someone could post a BDB page for a mistake we were making, I'd appreciate it.

If this was as the rules intended, I think this is going to be something that will either need some defining or will be the loophole for abusing.  Maybe it was just a hidden way to buff up multi-wound models.

Offline Shas'La robo

• For the Greater GOOD!!... and the Emperor
  • Armies: Imperial Guard, Tau
Re: Multiple Wound Units
« Reply #1 on: July 8, 2012, 03:07:49 AM »
If this was as the rules intended, I think this is going to be something that will either need some defining or will be the loophole for abusing.  Maybe it was just a hidden way to buff up multi-wound models.

Or just good tactics.

Rules for wound allocation for shooting and close combat pages 15 and 25 respectively, agree with your first interpretation.

Page 25, Allocating wounds, just after the 2 bullet points, say that once a model has a wound allocated to it, you have to continue allocating wounds to it until it dies, or you run out of wounds to allocate.

Missed that.

robo
« Last Edit: July 8, 2012, 03:59:59 AM by Commissar robo »
hug cover, shoot the big ones, and cripple the fast ones. if those cant be achieved, kill em all.  8)

Offline Kedolan

« Reply #2 on: July 8, 2012, 03:53:45 AM »
You're correct, and the unit can shuffle itself around during it's movement phase to protect wounded models. You're not correct about being able to spread wounds out in CC.

Page 25, Allocating wounds, just after the 2 bullet points, say that once a model has a wound allocated to it, you have to continue allocating wounds to it until it dies, or you run out of wounds to allocate.

Offline Somekindofzombie

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #3 on: July 8, 2012, 09:55:31 AM »
Thanks for the responses.  I see where it states the "continue to allocate..."  We were caught up on "controlling player chooses..." 

Also, all of the involved Tomb spiders entered combat with wounds allocated from fire combats, none were fresh.  Does the "wounds allocated to it" refer just to wounds generated in the combat or those issued before? 

Being guardsmen, I was only able to inflict one wound in any given round of combat.  With the combat spread over several rounds, my opponent was able to empty the wound pool each round without finishing off a model.  In the next combat round, we assumed that he was able to start assigning wounds to a different model during that round.  It read like once the wound pool was empty for any round, the obligation to assign wounds to a particular model was fulfilled and did not carry over to the next round.

Offline premetheus

• I don't do grammer!
  • Armies: Everything, well not Orks
« Reply #4 on: July 8, 2012, 05:15:20 PM »

er..... bottom of pg25 allocating wounds box,

'Wounds must first be allocated amongst the orks in base contact with the assault marines (red). Once all of the Orks in base contact have been removed as casualties, the remaining wounds are allocated.........'

Now if you have 3 spyders each with multiple wounds in base contact and you take x wounds.... it is possible to place the failed saves on any of the 3 bases thus keeping them all alive.

Offline Revener

• Moooo!
    • VÄS
« Reply #5 on: July 9, 2012, 09:38:21 AM »
yes... but since the text above the example clearly states what you do with multiple wound models you have to follow that.
 Are they in BtB, yes
do they have more then 1 wound, yes.
So they can all be hit but 1 of them have to start saving and when it is dead the remaining wounds go on to the next spyder. Or since they are all the same and its faster, roll  all the dice and then put all the wounds on 1 model until its dead and move on.
Anyway......