News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Help with list - Back to hobby after a long brake  (Read 1551 times)

Offline Mithrarias

• Windrider of Gaia
    • Universo Asur
  • Armies: Eldar, Blood Angels
Help with list - Back to hobby after a long brake
« on: February 20, 2018, 08:12:45 PM »
Hi all! Mithrarias is back.

Time ago, in the ages of 5th and 6th edition, I used to be a regular player. Also in that time I joined this community and used to post quite often. Then, some turns in my life made me almost leave my beloved hobby, due to a lack of time, although 7th edition meta did not help at all. A few time ago things began to change a bit and although I still don't have as much time as I would like to hace, the arrival of 8th edition has made me want to recover my hobby.

So some of us have decided to follow a friendly scalation league which will begin next month. So March will be at 500 points, April at 1000 points and so on until June at 2000 points.

Right now I'm trying to make up my lists which I would like to share with you, although for now I have only been able to write the 1500 points one.

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Aeldari - Craftworlds) ++

Craftworld Attribute: Biel-Tan: Swordwind

+ HQ +

Farseer Skyrunner: Guide, Doom, Witchblade

Warlock Skyrunner: Quicken/Restrain, Witchblade

+ Troops +

Dire Avengers
. 9x Dire Avengers
. Dire Avenger Exarch: Shimmershield & Power Glaive

Dire Avengers
. 4x Dire Avengers
. Dire Avenger Exarch: Two Avenger Shuriken Catapults

Dire Avengers
. 4x Dire Avengers

+ Fast Attack +

Windriders
. 3x Windrider - Shuriken Cannon

Windriders
. 3x Windrider - Shuriken Cannon

+ Heavy Support +

Fire Prism

Fire Prism

+ Dedicated Transport +

Wave Serpent: Shuriken Cannon, Twin Shuriken Cannon

++ Outrider Detachment +1CP (Aeldari - Craftworlds) ++

Craftworld Attribute: Saim-Hann: Wild Host

+ HQ +

Autarch Skyrunner: The Novalance of Saim-Hann, Warlord

+ Fast Attack +

Shining Spears
. 4x Shining Spear
. Shining Spear Exarch

Vypers
. Vyper: Starcannon, Twin Shuriken Catapult

Vypers
. Vyper: Starcannon, Twin Shuriken Catapult

++ Total: 1498pts ++

Some things to take into acount. My Craftworld has always been Saim-Hann, I have always liked their play style and I have always loved Bikes and Vypers. I know they are now exactly the most competitive units right now, but it's just a league between some friends so there is no need to have the most competitive list (although we all want to win some matches). When I started making up the list I started with a pure Saim-Han list, then I realized that most of the units would benefit more if they joined a Biel-Tan detachment (after all, a coalition between the Wild Host and Sword in the Wind sounds good to me, and I have always liked Biel-Tan as well).

So, guys, what do you think about it? Which attribute should I take for my warlord? Without loosing the nature of the list, what changes would you make? How would you make the 500 and 1000 points lists? How yould you expand the 2000 pts list?

In order to make some changes and/or expand the list these are the models I have: 2 Farseer Skyrunner, 2 Warlock Skyrunner, 2 Autarch Skyrunner, 1 Autarch on foot, 1 Autarch with Wings, 1 Farseer on foot, 3 Warlock on foot, 1 Bonesinger, 1 Avatar of Khaine, all Fenix Lords, 25 Avengers, 18 Windriders, 10 Scorpions, 6 Banshees, 6 Fire Dragons, 15 Spiders, 5 Shining Spears, 12 Hawks, 5 Wraithguards/Wraithblades, 3 Vypers, 3 Wave Serpents, 2 Falcon/Prism/Night Spinner, 1 War Walker, 2 Wraithlords

Last, but not least, what would you buy nex to improve my lists?

Thanks in advance.
¡¡¡Ú-dano i faelas a hyn, an uben tanatha le faelas!!! (Show them no mercy for you shall receive none!)

Offline Saim-Dann

Re: Help with list - Back to hobby after a long brake
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 10:32:44 PM »
G'day, Mithrarais!
Like the list, however, as a fellow Saim-Hann player I like the combo Of Saim-Hann attributes and the fire and fade stratagem with scatter lasers on the wind riders. As you don't have rangers, Mark of the Incomparable Hunter will allow you to target bubble wrapped characters.

So! Windriders with scatter lasers into the Saim-Hann detachment and a singing spear on your Farseer skyrunner. Adjust your list around that to start is my modest suggestion... Pointy ears forever!!

Offline Alexxk

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018, 02:55:16 AM »
A small tweak to your 1500 list would be to replace guide on the farseer. WHat is the target for it? all the Biel Tan shuriken weapons reroll 1s anyway! Executioner is great!

Since the nature of an escalation league I would start with a 500 points list and adjust it with the experiences you make. Its not fun to always play lists others make for you ;)

So for 500 points the core of your army could be a battalion of 3*5 Dire avengers. A farseer on foor for doom lets them even have a chance of killing a T7 vehicle in one round of shooting so thats great. Add in a warlock to make your battalion whole. Without upgrades you are at 315 points. You need some antitank at that point. Either take a fire prism or trust doom + shuriken wepons vs tanks.

This could be a nice list with biel tan craftworld:

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Aeldari - Craftworlds) [25 PL, 497pts] ++

+ Heavy Support +

War Walkers [4 PL, 90pts]
. War Walker: Bright Lance, Bright Lance

+ HQ +

Farseer [6 PL, 100pts]: 2. Doom, 4. Executioner, Shuriken Pistol, Witchblade

Warlock [2 PL, 35pts]: 4. Protect/Jinx, Shuriken Pistol, Witchblade

+ Fast Attack +

Windriders [4 PL, 84pts]
. 3x Windrider - Shuriken Cannon: 3x Shuriken Cannon

+ Troops +

Dire Avengers [3 PL, 64pts]
. 4x Dire Avenger: 4x Avenger Shuriken Catapult

Dire Avengers [3 PL, 64pts]

Dire Avengers [3 PL, 60pts]
. Dire Avenger Exarch: Avenger Shuriken Catapult

++ Total: [25 PL, 497pts] ++

For 1k points I would add in 2 fire prisms.

Do you have to keep your 500 points list for 1k point games?

Offline SeekingOne

• Exarch
  • May Hoeth guide our ways...
  • Armies: Eldar (Saim-Hann), Space Wolves
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2018, 04:50:39 AM »
@Mithrarias
Greetings to a fellow Wild Rider Chieftain :)

One thing I don't like about your list is Vypers. I know you said you like them, and you don't mean to be overly competitive, but... Vypers are just too poor value for points :) And, at least in my books, the rest of your list is very balanced and not exactly packed with OP units, so it doesn't look like you can afford point sinks (which Vypers generally are).

Now, the list really asks to sneak in at least one of two things: either 3rd Fire Prism or the 2nd squad of 5 Shining Spears (it seems you already have those models available). The obvious suggestion would be to drop the two vypers and replace them with one of those. One other thing worth considering is a 2nd Wave Serpent to keep all your Avengers protected and mechanised.

Are your Windriders magnetised? If yes, I'd actually recommend equipping them with scatter lasers and moving them back to the Saim-Hann detachment. You see, what I learned from experience in 8th is that while in relative terms shuriken cannons are slightly better than scatter lasers against armoured targets, in absolute terms they are still not even nearly good enough to be preferred for that specific reason. In other words, though shuriken cannons are not as bad as scatter lasers against armoured targets, they are still quite bad. However, scatter lasers are better than shuricannons against light infantry targets - and they are actually good against those. Thus, scatter-bikes have at least one task which they are good at, while shuricannon bikes aren't particularly good at anything.

As to the next purchase - looking at the units you listed, it seems that the only distinct thing you lack in your collection is flyers. If I were you I'd treat myself to a flyer kit or two, and assemble them as either Crimson Hunters or Hemlocks (or one of each), because both flyers are awesome and fit the Saim-Hann theme of high-speed warfare perfectly.

It would be interesting to see which elements of the list you're planning to use as 500 and 1000 pts lists.
I fight against Chaos and for Order, because it means fighting for Life against Death. There is no other battle truly worth fighting.

"If it's not for a tournament then play whatever it is that you like. Without the pressure of having to utterly destroy your opponent it opens up alot more opportunity to have fun." - Lazarus

Offline Mithrarias

• Windrider of Gaia
    • Universo Asur
  • Armies: Eldar, Blood Angels
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2018, 06:08:56 PM »
Thank you for your interest and advises.

@Saim Dann: Scatter Lassers were my first choice when started making up the list. The problem is that I spect to face SM and CSM mainly, so I thought that rending could really help and Biel-Tan trait also gave me a little push, although I have not made all the maths. Anyway this league is mainly for learning, so I will try both options in the different lists. Mark of the Incomparable Hunter sounds good but I have being thinking in An Eye on Distant Events and charge before Shining Spears to avoid Overwatch (I know I could use a Banshee Mask, but my group agree that indexes will tend to dissapear in matched play, so we do not use indexes options). Also I don't have a long range weapon so I don't think it was worth it. Lastly, about the Singing Spear on the Farseer, I really would like to get it, but I don't know where to take the points out of.

@Alexxk: About Guide, you are probably right. Doom and Guide used to be my main psichic tools so I take them by default. I must learn taking other powers in consideration. About the list, it seems like a good starting point. I will toy with it and post what comes out. I don't need to keep the list from 500 to 1000 points and so on. Do not even need to keep the Craftworld. It's just me, that I want to keep the flavour, but not necesarily the list.

@SeekingOne: Same about the scatter lasers on the Windriders. I will try both options. About the Vypers. It is difficult that I don't use them. My very first Eldar miniature was a Vyper and I used them always that I could, even when they were not competitive at all. People usually ignores them or do not know them very well as they are not very popular, so I have always taken profit of it. Anyway, 3rd Prism (which I still do not have but I can proxy) and second unit of Spears sounds really good, fluffy, strong and not OP, and I know they are far better than my vypers, so I will probably use them in my 2000 points list where things begin to get serious, but will keep the Vypers. Finally, about getting a flyer, I completely agree. A Hemlock was my most first option, and it is even earning more points now.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 06:17:10 PM by Mithrarias »
¡¡¡Ú-dano i faelas a hyn, an uben tanatha le faelas!!! (Show them no mercy for you shall receive none!)

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2018, 07:19:03 PM »
G'day, Mithrarias!
You have two units of bikes there, mate. If this is a learning league then have scatter lasers on one unit and shuriken cannons on the other. See what happens.

Doing this will give you a spare 15pts. There are your 5pts for the singing spear on the Farseer and another one for the Warlock, leaving 5pts to spare... Be well!