News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Little Sticker Things  (Read 615 times)

Offline Cheez Ninja

• My swords better than yours!!!
Little Sticker Things
« on: July 26, 2003, 04:42:46 PM »
Ive been painting Eldar for a  while now and the look pretty good, but I have one question. Are those little sticker type things that come in the guardian boxes really necessary? They simply do not stick. I know you must identify your squad in some way and the sticker things seem to be the simplest way to do it, but they dont work... any help?

Thanks
 Peace
If thers grass on the ground play in it, but if theres not just roll around in the mud!

Offline Wolf Raider

• Wolfraider's Den
Re:Little Sticker Things
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2003, 07:55:15 PM »
Are you talking about the water transfer decals?  The symbols on a piece of glossy paper?  They have to be soaked in water for about 15-20 seconds and slid off onto the miniture.  They stick once they dry.

I've never opened a box of Guardians, so I don't know if they come with the peel off, self adhesive stickers that some of the marine bikes and fantasy banners have.

However, if you are talking about the transfers and not stickers, there are some tricks involved.  If that's what you're talking about let me know and I will pass along an easy method to make them work well and look good.

Offline Cheez Ninja

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2003, 07:58:25 PM »
The tranfers... i soaked them in water for 30 seconds like it says and then i put them on the heads of a squad of gardians and then about an hour and 1/2 later i touched it and it came right off...
If thers grass on the ground play in it, but if theres not just roll around in the mud!

Offline Wingednothing

• Mother Isha
  • No te vaya.
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2003, 07:59:23 PM »
No, you could throw them away if you wanted... I've had problems with them too, and use them mostly on my vehicles, never on the guardians. If you want distinguishing marks on the smaller models, I'd just paint them on myself, it usually turns out better.

I've never opened a box of Guardians, so I don't know if they come with the peel off, self adhesive stickers that some of the marine bikes and fantasy banners have.

No, just the waterslides, no self adhesive ones ::pouts::
When I think of heaven
Deliver me in a black-winged bird
I think of dying
Lay me down in a field of flame and heather
Render up my body into the burning heart of God in the belly of a black-winged bird
Don’t try to bleed me
Cause I’ve been here before and I deserve a little more

Offline Cheez Ninja

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2003, 08:49:23 PM »
Well do you HAVE to use marks to distingguise(spelling lol) your squads and it seem that that would be very difficult to do b/c there heads are very small...

Peace

Offline Wingednothing

• Mother Isha
  • No te vaya.
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2003, 08:52:51 PM »
no, not at all. You can leave them anyway you like! Heck, you could leave them unpainted if you really wanted (but you couldn't use them in a tournament then). There is no reason to differentiate them if you don't want to. :)
When I think of heaven
I think of dying
Render up my body into the burning heart of God in the belly of a black-winged bird
Don’t try to bleed me

Offline Cheez Ninja

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2003, 08:58:43 PM »
Well if they were unpainted thad be no fun...lol

So what would be something that I cant paint on there that wouldnt look like i just put a red glob of paint on there heads...

Offline Wingednothing

• Mother Isha
  • No te vaya.
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2003, 09:21:26 PM »
ok, this is twice that I have re-typed this reply... it's about half as long as it was the first time... arg!!!

Ok, do you like the patterns on the decals? If so, check out a craft store for some paint pens (DecoColor, Ultra fine, they sell them in packs with six different colours) or draft pens (Pigma Micron has some with tips as small as .2 mm :o), then copy them onto the helmets with those.

If you don't like the way the decals look at all, then make some up yourself (the pens still work great, either way).... or use some variations of norse runes, you can find thousands of pages about that on the web.... Do what looks good. And the helmets are nice, with very little detail, so if you mess up, repainting them is no problems since there are no details to obscure with extra paint! :)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2003, 09:31:06 PM by Wingednothing »
When I think of heaven
I think of dying
Don’t try to bleed me

Offline Cheez Ninja

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2003, 09:32:38 PM »
Paint Pens ...hmmmm.... never heard of them before but they sound promising... thanks... ill give them a try... :)

Peace

Offline Wolf Raider

• Wolfraider's Den
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2003, 09:50:09 PM »
The decals will work just fine, you just have to do a little work to get them on right.  

First, paint the area with a gloss clear finish to make it smooth.  I use future floor wax at 100%, but any clear gloss is fine.  Cut the transfer out with a sharp knife as close to the edge as possible.  

After the gloss is COMPLETELY dry, soak the transfer in water only long enough to loosen it, then slide it off the backing paper into position.  If you need to move it around, use a paint brush soaked with water.  Once in position, touch the edge of the transfer with a dry tissue or paper towel to suck the excess water away,  the transfer will suck down.  Do not blot/touch the transfer with the tissue.  Let it dry some, but it doesn't have to be absolutely dry.  It make not be completely flat, especially on a curved surface or over rivets, etc.

Now the key.  You need to get a bottle of decal set solution, such as Solvaset, Microsol, etc.  You can get it on line from Micromark or at any good hobby model store. Its inexpensive and last forever.  Put a drop of solution on the decal, enough to completely wet it.  Let it dry without touching it at all.  The setting solution will "melt" the decal into the surface and make it lie completely flat.  You may have to use the solution more than once with GW decals.  I've had to do it three or four times.  In the end the decal is completely bonded to the surface.

Spray your mini with a final finish of Testors Dullcote (a matt finish spray) or whatever clearcoat you prefer.  The decal will be perfect.

You cant even see the edges of the decals

This squad even has two decals on top of each other for the symbol and number:
« Last Edit: July 26, 2003, 09:51:02 PM by Wolf Raider »

Offline Cheez Ninja

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2003, 10:00:23 PM »
Thanks for the help guys... Ill try both ways and see what I like best...
Oh and by the way... nice painting on those space marines Wolfraider...
 :)
Peace